What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs Saints

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
One thing though - if we lose to Dragons we are NOT anywhere near where Hagan, or we, want us to be.

Absolutely.

I also agree with the other things you said about Hagan.
I've no doubt he is happy to go ito the semi's from anywhere 3-6. I also think he has no doubt we have the talent to win the comp.
Whether he can get us there remains to be seen.

Suity

Freak2

Juniors
First job is to stay injury free.

2nd job is to have enough confidence to know we can beat anyone and everyone

We are close on both the above objectives!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
He said that the performance was "nearly" our best of the season. I think that we will need a dramatic improvment from that performance to trouble any of the top sides when they hit their straps.

Freak2

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
He said that the performance was "nearly" our best of the season. I think that we will need a dramatic improvment from that performance to trouble any of the top sides when they hit their straps.

Name 3 better performances???

I can only think of the 1 obvious: The Tigers

Bigfella

Coach
He also didn't say "we won't play any better than that".

You don't win comps in August.

And as for
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It isn't who is out there it is what they aren't doing.

that is finding a negative in a positive if I've ever seen it!

forward pass

Coach
I dont actually think we can play much better than we did - and I don't think we'll need to either.

We gave the best side in the comp 61% possesion in the 1st half, got caned in the penalties, and still almost beat them. We gifted them a try and I don't think Caylo will fall for a Cam Smith dummy again.

It was an outstanding performance and with 50% of the ball, I'll back us to beat them if the time comes!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
forward pass said:
I dont actually think we can play much better than we did - and I don't think we'll need to either.

We gave the best side in the comp 61% possesion in the 1st half, got caned in the penalties, and still almost beat them. We gifted them a try and I don't think Caylo will fall for a Cam Smith dummy again.

It was an outstanding performance and with 50% of the ball, I'll back us to beat them if the time comes!

Melbourne won't be as poor next time.

In terms of our attack, I think we were better against the Dogs, Sea Eagles and Dragons and a few more. I have no issue with our defence, I only have issue with the uncreative attack that this team seems to fall back into.

Freak2

Juniors
As previously states somehere along the lines. The conditions in Melbourne were poor and did not allow us to play too wide. So to judge our teams attack on the Melbourne game is not accurate.

The boys played to the conditions and as discussed where well and truly on the back end of poor decisions and amount of ball.

We kept the even money premiership favourites to nil in the 2nd half at their home ground with 3 rounds to go before the finals.

If you told me we would do that at the start of the year you would have seen the biggest cart wheels and high five slapping ever!!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Freak2 said:
As previously states somehere along the lines. The conditions in Melbourne were poor and did not allow us to play too wide. So to judge our teams attack on the Melbourne game is not accurate.

The boys played to the conditions and as discussed where well and truly on the back end of poor decisions and amount of ball.

We kept the even money premiership favourites to nil in the 2nd half at their home ground with 3 rounds to go before the finals.

If you told me we would do that at the start of the year you would have seen the biggest cart wheels and high five slapping ever!!

and to add we were virtually inches away from winning it...infact we should of won it if it wasn't for a lapse of committment by our winger to put the ball down properly with 12 minutes remaining to lock the game up..

that game was more gut wrenching than the week before for that very reason.

Bigfella

Coach
a lapse of committment by our winger to put the ball down properly

Are you serious?

You think he stopped trying somewhere between catching the ball and putting down?

He got lazy between catching the ball and letting gravity take over?

If Hagan thought the failure to ground the ball Grothe would be in reserve grade, probably forever.

I reckon the main reason was that when Hayne caught and passed without looking, it took Grothe fractionally by surprise. He caught the ball further to his right than he would have liked. As such in getting to ground the hold on the ball was not as strong as it would normally be and the hit came at the right angle to force it free.

To say there was a lack of commitment is pretty harsh. Have another look and I'll do the same if I get a chance.

Eela. are you sure JTB hasn't hacked into your computer? LOL

cardinal

Juniors
Natalie's Daddy said:
I mean what I said. If the other team has more to contend with whilst they defend they will have less impact when they get the ball. It is a physical and a mental thing that happens to players that have to work hard in defence.

If we refuse to test the opposition we may score points through defensive lapses and tries from kicks but against the better defences we will struggle to score. The irritating thing is that the first half of the Manly game we were good and in patches against the dogs but in the last two games we have not shown anything that leads me to think we can beat the top sides. Melbourne were poor last week which is the only thing that made that game close.

Melbourne did not play that bad and I don't think any other team would of kept them to 2 tries with the amount of ball and territory they had. On radio down here Cronk, Smith and Geyer have all been saying that they are really happy with how they played and the Eels were the best and hardest side they have played. That is just it, hard, it was a damn hard game and we stood up to them. Not all games are about throwing the ball around and having heaps of bodies in motion, sometimes you have to shut down and try to graft out a win and they bloody near did. With Tahu, Hayne, Burt, Inu and with Timmy's ability to set up those outside backs, if the playing CONDITIONS are good I expect to see some great attack for the rest of the year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bigfella said:
Eela. are you sure JTB hasn't hacked into your computer? LOL

I love the Grothe to death, so please don't tard me with same brush..

but I honestly believe that Eric should take responsability of what happened plenty of wingers would od sensed that someone was on top them and left the ball shielded into his body and dived for the try line instead of exposing the ball and giving Cronk an opportunity to get a hand or finger tip on it.

There is a possability that Eric may of scored that try in his head before he tried to put the ball down.

that's the theory I subscribe, and I'm not the only person that gets a little nervous at his ball carrys.

forward pass

Coach
eelavation said:
There is a possability that Eric may of scored that try in his head before he tried to put the ball down.

I think he had the try scored in his head before putting it down for his first try too!;-)

sportsmad

Juniors
bit harsh imo. catching the ball, stepping inside 3 or 4 players and diving for a line doesn't give much time to swap the ball from side to side, or give much thought that the ball is vulnerable tucked under your arm. 99% of time Eric's effort would have resulted in a try. just about summed up the luck we & they were having on the night. good thing is if we play them in the finals, then they can't possibly have that much luck again......can they?.....