What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team vs storm

CheG

Juniors
1.RTS
2.Montoya
3.Aitken
4.Berry
5.Ken? Kosi

6.Kodi ( is his wrist/head ok?)
7.CHT

8.AFB
9.Egan
10.JTB
11.Curren
12.Murchie/Katoa
13.Tohu

14.BMM
15.Ah Mau
16.Bunty
17.Evans/Jazz

Walsh and Pompey will get suspended one would think

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
This is a genuine question, given as I always say my lack of league nous. Why isn't he a half? He has an outstanding kicking game, one of the best passing games in the comp, beats defenders with his footwork, looks like a decent organiser as well....only thing I can think of is that his defence is shaky (which isn't surprising for an 18 year old who didn't play for 18 months).

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he doesn’t have all the skills. It’s more that those skills also translate wonderfully well to fullback, which has a lot to do with the role of the modern fullback as a key ‘spine’ player. What we’ve seen Walsh do so far is the proof in itself that fullback is a great place to showcase running, passing, and even kicking skills. I almost think it’s a bit old fashioned to think your best players needs to be halves these days. Look at the best players in the comp, and how many are fullbacks vs halves.

This may be controversial but I also wonder if fullback is sort of an ‘easy’ position to stand out these days. It’s one of the few positions where you get a lot of broken field running and get to throw a lot of ‘money balls’ without the pressure of controlling the team. I wonder if it’s purely coincidence that so many fullbacks seem to be gun players.

Also AFAIK Walsh has mostly trained and played at fullback and so is just more comfortable in and familiar with the role. I also suspect that while all of the raw materials are there, it’s unlikely that he’s actually all that polished as a 6 or 7 yet. Fullback is a great spot for him to show off the full range of skills without having to mentally carry the burden of directing the team around.

To summarise - in an elite team fullback is probably the ideal position for him to maximise his attributes at the moment, but in our team he is arguably the best 6 or 7 we have even if that isn’t his best position.

Meth

Staff member
Sweet, well I'll go-

1- Tuivasa Sheck
2- Montoya
3- Berry
4- Aitken
5- Maumalo
6- Nikorima
7- O'Sullivan
8- Fonua Blake
9- Egan
10- Afoa
11- Murchie
12- Murdoch Masilla
13- Harris

Res- Curran, Katoa, Ah Mau, Harris Tavita

Big Marn

Juniors
i think Curran is another guy that sails too close to the wind with his tackling in the current climate. Best we look at someone else going forward, if we want to keep everyone on the field, especially if you are going to have Jazz still in your 17. Sironen maybe less of a risk?

SmashEmBro

Juniors
i think Curran is another guy that sails too close to the wind with his tackling in the current climate. Best we look at someone else going forward, if we want to keep everyone on the field, especially if you are going to have Jazz still in your 17. Sironen maybe less of a risk?

aside from about 6 errors in two games (terrible stat) he’s looked like one of our best. Aggressive, good defence, does everything at speed, starting to hit good holes.
2 of those penalties for high shots were incorrect IMO, I’d be telling him to rip in.

We play Storm next week too, hope George keeps an eye out for him this time :sweat_smile:

Meth

Staff member

Sironen is still injured, I think

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Sweet, well I'll go-

1- Tuivasa Sheck
2- Montoya
3- Berry
4- Aitken
5- Maumalo
6- Nikorima
7- O'Sullivan
8- Fonua Blake
9- Egan
10- Afoa
11- Murchie
12- Murdoch Masilla
13- Harris

Res- Curran, Katoa, Ah Mau, Harris Tavita
Would you bother bringing AFB back against the Storm when we probably have no chance? I'd rather take the cautious approach and save him for thr following week when Walsh is back.

Meth

Staff member
Storm will probably be without Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Remis Smith. Munster, Welsh and Grant all carrying injuries into Origin. Kenny Bromwich injured too.

Blair

Coach
We're overdue for a win over the Storm. That's unless we're no longer their bogey team.

I enjoy/ed being their bogey team, as I know you all do/did.