What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teams - Finals Week One

Ant

Juniors
If the players are fit then I am a little suprised by the decisions.

On the Delaney vs O'Dwyer one, is quite a shock. Delaney was in the side for a long stint and really showed very little in attack, and I wouldn't say his defence was outstanding. O'Dwyer has certainly shown a lot more this season and perhaps he is carrying an injury thats the only reason I can see. Maybe they see Delaney as a bigger man and Melbourne do run Hoffman and Kidwell out wide a lot.

On the other decision which has caused a lot of debate, McKinnon vs Burt. Once again if both fit, I think this must be a goal kicking decision. I do think we could no longer carry both of them in the 17 it had to be one or the other. I have time for both players, but I think McKinnon brings more to the football team. Neither of them are full proof at the back, but in my view Burt is a very weak defender he just seems totally soft at times. I can't count the number of times in his career when I have been upset with Burt about defence. I think my big problem is often Burt comes in as the last line to help stop a guy who is pushing through the tackle of say 2 defenders, and its like he may as well have not been there. The guy just pushes past like Burt was tissue paper.

In saying that I don't think Wade is fantastic either, but I think his problem can be more about technique. At times he makes bad decisions on the type of tackle, particularly his decisions to try and shoulder charge bigger players.
But if a player made a break I would back McKinnon to make a tackle over Burt every time.

High Ball, I think is pretty even.
Positional play is pretty even too, maybe McKinnon a bit better at covering defence. Once again I think Mckinnon is more keen to make the tackle, where as Burt I think would be happier if defence was not part of the game. I always think back to the dragons game when they scored that first try, Burt just jogged across, a man with his pace could have contested but he just didn't want to know.

Returning, the ball, well there is no comparison, Mckinnon is great Burt is not. Burt has no physical presence of the field, this has always been an issue, if a guy gets a hand on him its generally over. McKinnon is far more dangerous. Both can drop the ball of hit hard, but it is Burt who suffers worse.

McKinnon is a better support player, great a making breaks through the ruck, off forwards or through small gaps, just doesn't link up that well. Burt is no where near as good, once again because if someone puts a hand on him its generally over.

Burt's great asset is his ability to react/read/call short kicks inside the opposition 20m. He scores a lot of tries in the middle of the field from short kicks by smith and morris. McKinnon doesn't have the same ability to read play.

Burt can also be a general play kicker.
Plus his goal kicking.

So it is a tough call, I prefer McKinnon myself, because I think the back 3 of he, hayne and guru provide us a great start to each set, the give us a good chance of beating players as we bring the ball back making it easier for our forwards. But Hayne and Guru probably help Burt get selection, because JT knows he already has 2 dynamic runners back there.

Look I would pick McKinnon myself and I think goal kicking got the job for Burt, but Burt does have assets and I understand his selection, I just hope he scoots through for a try or 2 to justify it.

Burt needs the side to be going well to have an impact, McKinnon can do it himself, so once again perhaps against the minor premiers you go with the guy who can give you something from your own end.

yy_cheng

Coach
Ant, that's how I view things as well.

However, I think Mckinnon is better than Burt under the high ball when there is pressure.

In general speak, Burt is better in the opposition's half whereas Wade is better in our half. However, Burt's kicking is miles ahead

Bigfella

Coach
That is a pretty good, fair summary of the differences between the two, by both posters.

I think you might perhaps be selling Burt's support game a little short; he will sniff around for offloads from props. His dummy half running can be a real weapon in some situations; if he can beat the marker he has the genuine pace to turn it into a try or very long break.

The interesting thing is that if Delaney is playing - do we need Burt solely for his kicking? It does suggest that Delaney may be interchanged.

Of course we have gone for height in the centres; I think this is a big issue because King and Inglis will contest the high ball and more often than not it is in the centres that Melbourne kick high to. Delaney and Smith might get kicked at more than Burt...

PIG

Juniors
There u go! In a game where we were bumping out of tackles left right and centre, and the storms marker play was poor....as it was in the last few weeks.....we have noone backing up the ball carrier in support. We missed McKinnon dreadfully.

At least Burt nailed his kick from in front to go with his 65 metres from 15 hit ups.

I say it every year- we will not win with John Morris and Luke Burt in our key positions.