What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teams - Finals Week One

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hellsy said:
Careful JT.... if we win, all these people will come back and defend what they have said. :lol: :lol:
If we loose, they'll ask for your head too.... oh wait a minute.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
welcome to the wonderful world of coaching JT.

Fathead

Bench
The eels are a better team with Burt at Fullback.
McKinnons last line of defence is woeful and we will need defence here against the Storm.
Overall Im happy with the team and trust JT and the staff.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Lets not kid ourselves....we r underdogs and its gonna take a massive effort to beat the storm even if mckinnon and chalky were there!
Im sure both will give it there all and at the end of the day.....we will see who come on top!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fathead said:
McKinnons last line of defence is woeful and we will need defence here against the Storm.

maybe JT looked at the replays and saw how many tackles Wade fell off, it was his worse defensive game all year, but maybe a bit of an overaction to drop him on one bad performance

N.Hindmarsh_Fan

Juniors
Fathead said:

You serious? I have seen wade stop more players getting over the line then any other fullback in the game, he brings down blokes twice his size.

Jizmizm

Juniors
Id would definately prefer Wade over Luke, but i can accept it for the goal kicking factor. The delaney selection is a bit weird, but i trust JT..

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I must be seeing things... 4 props in the team? Finally!

McKinnon missing is a worry when it comes to cleaning up line breaks but hopefully Burt scores a try or two to make up for that. Delaney... well... nuff said.

Sean7

Juniors
Hellsy said:
Careful JT.... if we win, all these people will come back and defend what they have said. :lol: :lol:
If we loose, they'll ask for your head too.... oh wait a minute.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

No-one needs to defend themselves. They're stating an opinion. The only time people need to defend themselves is when idiots make geniused statements like "He's proved you all wrong" after one or two good games. You can only comment on what you see.

Fathead

Bench
N.Hindmarsh_Fan said:
You serious? I have seen wade stop more players getting over the line then any other fullback in the game, he brings down blokes twice his size.

I reckon that upon review of the tape, the coaching staff wouldnt have been too impressed with Wades 2 shoulder charges. Both shoulder charges didnt come off (in fact have ANY of wades shoulder charges come off ??) and the Cowboys scored off both plays.
It stands to reason that if you are close enough to shoulder charge them, you are close enough to tackle them.

I actually think that JT picked Burt at Fullback as an attacking option. The play whereby smith or riddell kicks through over the tryline with a flying Burt attacking the ball is a solid play and very hard to defend against.

Hellsy

Immortal
Sean7 said:
No-one needs to defend themselves. They're stating an opinion. The only time people need to defend themselves is when idiots make geniused statements like "He's proved you all wrong" after one or two good games. You can only comment on what you see.

Chill out dude, I'm joking... or did you miss the -> :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i thinl delaney was picked to defend there centres\wingers...thats were they kill most teams and we need some size and defensive capabilities. I have noticed that alot of teams do target that side with jarrad there as well....i think it is a tactical move and think it could be a good one.

A sfor wade or burt well im happy with either..

Hurriflatch

Referee
In the past McKinnon has been a good defensive fullback but you're only as good as your last game and WAde's last game was a shocker in defence.

If he had gone in with a normal tackle on those 2 plays even if the Cowboys still scored, I'm betting that barring injury WAde would be playing this week.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
One thing that we really need to do is stop second phase play.....we cant afford to let them throw the ball around!
We slow there plays down and have an up and in defence....IMO we will come very close!

jayman

Juniors
i agree... i think we might see a tahu comeback..

the friday - sunday turnaround might have worked in our favour in terms of injuries... gives cayless, hindy vella, morrison time to rest up from any niggling injuries and i cant see the difference in playing on a sunday and waiting 4-5 days and being able to play the following friday sat.. etc..

iam expecting a Tahu return.. shock selection that might tip it in our favour .. ive always felt that grothe plays more comfortably with tahu next to him and vice versa.. even though it may not show.. playing next to each other in SOO would have helped.. as the finals are played at a similar tempo..

BRING BACK TITS!!! come on u EELS!!!!

Fathead

Bench
That means rushing up and smashing Scott Hill. If we stand back and wait and see what Scott Hill does - its bye bye season.
Hill is the same as Jason Smith and also Darren Lockyer for that matter. You have to rush them in defence and give them no room.
If we rush Hill and Cronk we have a chance to win.

ParraManiac

Juniors
Sean7 said:
McKinnon is both a better attacker and a better defender. McKinnon is our leading line breaker by far and averages about 150m a game. Burt barely makes 50 and can't attack unless someone does the work for him. He can however, kick goals and I can understand his inclusion to an extent. McKinnon was just about our best against Brisbane. He was so much better than Burt it wasn't funny and I can't understand anyone talking about McKinnon's missed tackles when his replacement is our worst defender.

The thing that worries me is that if we are struggling, Burt will struggle big time, whereas McKinnon has the ability to make a break out of nothing. We already have the worst attacking centres in the finals. And Burt's kicking has never been consistent. I hope it's still good on the weekend.

We really need to start well.

I agree McKinnon makes a lot of breaks, but look up another stat for me. How many tries has he scored? Then compare it to how many he has butchered???

caylo

Bench
jayjayselmes said:
utterly silly at a do or die match yto pick delaney and leave out chalky and wade.

Well Jt has sealed and early exit to train on with the rabbtits. This is a big tram change and in finals time is obsurd.

Pack ya bags boys no point even goin to melbourne.

as the other dude said f**k Delaney, 1 good tackle and luke loses his spot

wot happeneds if we win 30-10, burty scored 18points, and delaney contains mat king... wot would u say then...

i think its a smart selection, odwyer is a good player, a good hole runner, but against the storm he wont be as effective, and delaney defence is awsome, he is quicker than odwyer in defence to... he has caughts some quick players over the last few weeks from behind. burt has played well, who ever was picked at fullback i have no argument, it could also be a shadow 4 timmy, with more than 1 option to kick they wont be able 2 rush up against timmy because he can just pass it on 2 burt to kick long, and this could work well. burty is also better in attack, creativity wise, than mckinnon. i trust jt. Also look 4 benny to mark up against inglus, he contained gasnier in a game last year, inglus is fast and strong, but if u get in his face, and dont give him room to move, and run all ur attack him he will tire. i think we can and will contain melbourne attack, our team is very solid in defence, and wotch 4 cordoba to make impact off the bench, vella adds experiance, wiidders may cause alot of problems, i would have him on the left to try and exploit a compressed melbourne defence

ParraManiac

Juniors
I have to say it guys, i am absolutely wrapped with this side. Congratulations to JT for having the guts to make the changes he did, even though they would not be popular!

McKinnon after his diabolical game agaunst the Cowboys had to go, it would have been suicide to take him. JT has obviously seen something he didnt like in O'Dwyers game. I didnt notice much personally, but it is two weeks in a row that JT hasnt been happy with him. He made the call accordingly, I thought Delaney had a strong game against the Cowboys. He is not as good an attacker as O'Dwyer but that wont stop Hayne scoring tries.

The forward pack is big and strong and I think a lot of people in this thread will be eating their words after Sunday and will owe JT an apology.