What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teenagers hit with 4 year league bans

from the Illawarra Mercury

By MIKE GANDON
May 20, 2005

TWO Windang junior rugby league players have been banned from the game for four years after their part in a wild brawl in an under 16 game against North-Burgh at Wombarra's Jim Allen Oval last Saturday.

A disciplinary committee comprising Tooheys League chairman Shane McKellar, Dragons Illawarra rugby league manager Kevin Felgate, Tooheys League judiciary chairman Bob Long and the league's solicitor Mick Davies, handed down the lengthy suspensions at a meeting held at the Steelers Club on Wednesday night.

The two teenagers, who cannot be named for legal reasons because of their age, are banned from playing or attending any rugby league fixtures for the term of their suspension.

They were charged with various offences including fighting and contrary conduct, which involved verbally abusing spectators and match officials. One of the players also struck a sports trainer.

The league will instruct both players to complete an anger management training course before they can return to the game.

Four under 16 players - two from Windang and two from North/Burgh - were cited to appear before the league disciplinary committee after the brawl which erupted near the end of the Illawarra junior league game.

The fighting began when one player pushed another after being tackled. The brawl escalated as players from both sides became involved. The two Windang players joined the brawl from the bench.

"We at the league did think a very lengthy suspension was warranted to illustrate to young players of the game that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated," Felgate said.

The two North/Burgh players found guilty of contrary conduct received suspensions of four and six weeks respectively, but because of their previous good record one will serve two weeks and the other three weeks.

More players are likely to be called before the league judiciary on Monday night.

"Upon a full analysis of the video there will be other fighting charges laid against other team members from both clubs," Felgate said.

"They will be referred back to the league judiciary.

"Both clubs have been strictly reprimanded for their teams' actions in tarnishing the image of rugby league and the league will enter into further correspondence with those clubs in due course."

North/Burgh president Peter Carroll said his club provided a videotape of the game in good faith to the league so justice could be done.

"We were also hoping that lengthy suspensions would be handed out to the two Windang players concerned," Carroll said.

"It was up to the judiciary (disciplinary committee) to make (the decision). They're the qualified persons to make those decisions.

"We had two players that went in there last night as well.

"The chairman of the judiciary, Bob Long, did an excellent job."

Windang secretary Barry Jones declined to comment on the matter.

Stranger

Coach
The two Windang players joined the brawl from the bench.

Bloddy Heroes. This happen in a game that i was involved in this year. Just lucky we have a few level headed people holding them back.

ngap

Juniors
The young get long suspensions but it doesn't happen anymore in the NRL. While I agree with the suspensions, the standard should be set from the top not the bottom.

Stranger

Coach
But look at what the young are doin. The senior players know the extend. Running on a field to a brawl should get a lengthy suspension. Beating up a touchie should get a massive suspension.

ngap

Juniors
As I said the suspension is well deserved but look at the NRL, every weekend the young see players abusing referees. Nothing happens. Young people then lose respect for referees and it goes downhill from there.
The same standard we want in amatuers should be upheld in professional sport.

mattyj

Juniors
How do you work this out.....put it into perspective

Case 1.....

Three Teenagers from the Warriors development squad, jump a girl in the park to try and kill the unborm baby in her stomach (who was fathered by one of the boys who was hitting here)

And the word is(accoring to Sky News Australia) the Warriors have (or are considering) resigning the main culprit less than a year later

Case 2

Berkeley_Eagle said:
They were charged with various offences including fighting and contrary conduct, which involved verbally abusing spectators and match officials. One of the players also struck a sports trainer.

Where is the justice?.......

Im not trying to say its ok for kids to fight but the thing is, if you take sport away from kids who have bad homes or anger issues it will come back and bite the community harder later on.

You just need to teach these guy's the right way to vent it. Punish them..... sure, but dont take it away from them

Rugby league cant be expected to govern itself by what random idiots will do in the general community.

If you kill someone on a street....let the law of the land deal with that.

Personally I think anyone at any level of the game that assults a touch judge or referee should get a lifetime ban.

SGM

Juniors
thats a harsh penalty. But there prolly dero. That said they will prolly end up in jail now that they dont have league.

-Dr.J-

Juniors
mattyj said:

Case 1.....

Three Teenagers from the Warriors development squad, jump a girl in the park to try and kill the unborm baby in her stomach (who was fathered by one of the boys who was hitting here)

And the word is(accoring to Sky News Australia) the Warriors have (or are considering) resigning the main culprit less than a year later

Negative. People, you have to know that the article was a beat up. The boys in mention got kicked out of the development squad, and have only just been given the right to play for a Bartercard Cup or Fox Memorial team (I forget which).

They never got resigned by the Warriors
They / he did their / his time now they're just playing footy at a lower level. No connection with the Warriors at all. AT ALL.

mattyj

Juniors
-Dr.J- said:
Negative. People, you have to know that the article was a beat up. The boys in mention got kicked out of the development squad, and have only just been given the right to play for a Bartercard Cup or Fox Memorial team (I forget which).

They / he did their / his time now they're just playing footy at a lower level. No connection with the Warriors at all. AT ALL.

Who they are playing for is not my point.....

Im just looking at the Irony of the two incidents.

dazza

Staff member
-Dr.J- said:

just a couple of things in reply to your post:

1- yes they did have their contracts torn up

2- they have not been given the right to play yet, the nzrl have yet to decide

3- the warriors are considering re-signing them

4- 2 of them are still doing time, the 3rd, who was the father of the unborn child, is on home detention, with a bracelet around his ankle. he has been training with a b/card cup team.

in my opinion, these guys should not be allowed to play at the top level again. as has been said in a post on the warriors forum on the subject, it is a privilidge to play at the highest level not a right.

the moment the decided to do what they did, they gave that up.

as far as the young blokes getting 4 years suspension, well done to the judiciary. we need to stamp this sort of crap out of our game.

thats my opinion, crucify me if you will.

chers dazza

shadow grinder

First Grade
mattyj said:

Case 1.....

Case 2

Where is the justice?.......

Im not trying to say its ok for kids to fight but the thing is, if you take sport away from kids who have bad homes or anger issues it will come back and bite the community harder later on.

You just need to teach these guy's the right way to vent it. Punish them..... sure, but dont take it away from them

well to play for the warriors you have to be some sort of thug....its the criteria to get into the team...

salivor

First Grade
mattyj said:

I tend to agree, there is no doubt that Rugby League and sport in general helps keep a lot of kids from going off the rails. Some of the bans getting handed out in these junior leagues are just getting ridiculous and going beyond punishing these guys.

Jimbo

Immortal
nospam49™ said:
Personally I think anyone at any level of the game that assults a touch judge or referee should get a lifetime ban.

Agreed.

Unless it's Shayne Hayne...

Latest posts