What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Teflon's thoughts on starting backline

It was a piss take. Fitzy is the only realistic candidate for a 14 position. Which is why he was brought back.

I've heard Fulton has done some training at hooker, he could possibly be the 14. Problem with Fitzy there is if Farah goes 80 there isn't much use for Fitzhenry in the side, where as, if Fulton can make a fist of playing hooker, he can play back row also, so if we don't need him to fill in at hooker, there is still use for him in the side.

Lazarus and Mullaney. That's what's gunna win us a premiership? Not Tuqiri?

We haven't seen how Mullaney will go in the NRL yet. He carved up the Under 20s last year. The last fullback who tore the under 20s to shreads before getting promoted was a bloke by the name of Josh Dugan. If Mullaney comes on next year half as good as Dugan did I'll be happy. Lote has barely played any fullback in his NRL career, and is getting on. He'll play wing, I think he'll be similar to how Sailor was this year.

Shall we use Ryan's pace and knack of creating something out of nothing to win us a trophy?

He's a winger, wingers don't win you trophies. Tuiaki was probably the best winger in the NRL last year, how many games did he win us? How many games did Manu win for the Warriors? How many did Brett Morris win for St George (not including his games at fullback)? I think we'd be lucky to see it hit 5 between them.

What about Moltzen? Relying on him to get us going as a halfback does? The dude has never done a single thing under pressure. He'd be good if Joey was our half - but it's Benji next to him and our pack isn't good enough to carry him and let him play off the cuff.

He didn't let us down in his stint at halfback in 2009, we won every game he played there. If you ask me, that's good enough to earn him first crack at the jersey in 2010. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I agree, both Lui and Taumata are too similar to Benji. Off the cuff style of players.

Moltzen is hardly the complete article yet, but he should be given first shot at the #7.

westie

Bench
Wow, I just realised everything I wanted to say I've already said before. Time for the off-season to finish so we can get on with sucking, winning a few games when every one else is taking that deliberate break just before the semis, miss the semis and talk about the next bloke who "carved 20's" who'll prove only that you need to either be f**king good, or older than 20 to make an impact on a first grade squad.

westie

Bench
P.s. For the record, I think we have a team capable of winning a premiership - but the one in Sheens' mind just isn't a top 8 one.

Fordy20

Juniors
I've heard Fulton has done some training at hooker, he could possibly be the 14. Problem with Fitzy there is if Farah goes 80 there isn't much use for Fitzhenry in the side, where as, if Fulton can make a fist of playing hooker, he can play back row also, so if we don't need him to fill in at hooker, there is still use for him in the side.

I'd like to see Flanagan in the 13 or 14. We brought him all the way out here, might has well throw him in the deep end and see if he can swim.

Martinplace

Juniors
Don't forget it is only a trial, I agree that I would have Moltzen at FB, but you do need backup for him if he gets injured? Its a long season, but it's when the comp starts that we should expect the best team on the field each week, who ever they may be.
Though not confident anymore we will always get this with Timmy?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Don't forget it is only a trial, I agree that I would have Moltzen at FB, but you do need backup for him if he gets injured? Its a long season, but it's when the comp starts that we should expect the best team on the field each week, who ever they may be.
Though not confident anymore we will always get this with Timmy?

Lots of us here lost that confidence years ago- Teflon picking best players in their best positions is not a natural thing to hear. He too often robs Peter to pay Paul in weakening 1 position to shore up another and those damn mind games with players......

super_coach

First Grade
Iam willing to go with Teflon with Lui or who ever he picks at 7, but I hope if it dosnt work he actually bites his pride and changes things around quickly and not after 22 weeks as he has done in the past. He cant blame lack of depth anymore, and while on the subject of Sheens, maybe this year he might use his 17th man for more than three minutes at the depth

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Damn Sheens and everything else we worrry about, I am looking forward to the 2010 season. I think with proper handling and appropriate selections WT can give it a reasonable shot this year.

DanOz

Juniors
Not my best backline.

Mullaney is not ready for the NRL if you ask me. He has great positioning and support play, but he needs a little more time working on his one on one defence and kick returns. Lazarus has been out too long with a serious injury to tell if he will be able to become a valuable asset for us or not. I would actually prefer to have Mitch Brown playing fullback. Ryan isn't a good enough defender for the centres.

I seem to be in the minority, but I think Lui deserves first crack in the trials at halfback and if he performs put in for the first round. I also think Moltzen's best position will ultimately turn out to be fullback, so I am happy to have him back there as long he can improve on his positioning, which should come with a full off season of training in the position.

So my team to start round one:

Moltzen
Brown
Ayshford
Lawrence
Ryan
Marshall
Lui

Pretty similar to teflons I hate to say, but I think that is our best option with what is available.

The only thing I could think of to depress me more than that backline is an injured Benji with Fitzhenry at five eigth.

philgood

Juniors
All i'd like to say is THANK GOD John Morris is no longer our halfback! Anyone else @ 7 is an improvement

The only thing I could think of to depress me more than that backline is an injured Benji with Fitzhenry at five eigth.

We have Taumata, Moltzen and Lui. One will be halfback, and if Benji goes down another one will slot in at 5/8.

westie

Bench
Morris has shown more in attack than Lui and could tackle. I'm sorry, but replacing one niff nuff with another is just silly.

DanOz

Juniors
I'd also prefer Morris to Lui. Neither have the skills to be a half, but at least Morris tries.

Sad state of affairs when we get rid of Morris who should have played in the No.14 untility role and replace him with Lui when Moltzen & Taumata are on the books.