What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telecrap: Bottom of the pile when it comes to RL news

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Channel Ten is apparently trying to move up-market, towards attracting people with real money to spend, and who can spell "whose".

:p
Apparently? Not sure ?Hmm upmarket! like the reality Ch10 Tv show- Big Brother.:lol: a new version of the biggest loser perhaps?
Woods, the people with the most disposable income as per the Torque survey are rugby league supporters(it has been mentioned before).
Ch9 had VW,Qantas sponsoring the telecast of the tri series last night.:roll:

Woods99

Juniors
taipan said:
Apparently? Not sure ?Hmm upmarket! like the reality Ch10 Tv show- Big Brother.:lol: a new version of the biggest loser perhaps?
Woods, the people with the most disposable income as per the Torque survey are rugby league supporters(it has been mentioned before).
Ch9 had VW,Qantas sponsoring the telecast of the tri series last night.:roll:
Taipan, And all those people use their higher disposable income to send their kids to private schools which do not play league. Also explains why there is comparatively little rugby league, junior or senior, in the most affluent Sydney suburbs. Doesn't it? Do you believe Sweeney, too? All of these "reports" need to be taken with a bucketful of salt. Who sponsors them? What is their methodology? Et cetera, et cetera. Finally, I notice a number of comments about the relatively poor attendance at last night's game which blame the cost of attending two such events in a short period of time, and/or the difficulty of getting to the SFS. Hardly what you would expect to hear about an affluent audience. Indeed, most reasonable people would expect an affluent fan base to pack out a game like last night's, irrespective of cost or other constraints.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Hi Woodsy. Are they still playing Yawnion in Australia? Or are all the Wallabies being poached by Asquith????

I hear the Wallabies are all cashed up and going to plunder League's juniors - no doubt in the same way that the Bargo under 16's plundered the stocks of the Picton under 16's with promises of new socks. Utterly earth shattering.

I'm sure we can fit the Wobblies in the Jim Beam Cup somewhere. Hope they are fit enough to play sport EVERY weekend.

j5o6hn

Juniors
The Sweeny Report from what I can gather is put out by a Victorian based group,tends to favor AFL over all other codes you either believe it or you dont,It does not have a reputation for accuracy

BuffaloRules

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Hi Woodsy. Are they still playing Yawnion in Australia? Or are all the Wallabies being poached by Asquith????

I hear the Wallabies are all cashed up and going to plunder League's juniors - no doubt in the same way that the Bargo under 16's plundered the stocks of the Picton under 16's with promises of new socks. Utterly earth shattering.

I'm sure we can fit the Wobblies in the Jim Beam Cup somewhere. Hope they are fit enough to play sport EVERY weekend.

Over the last couple of years of reading Old Man Woods diatribe, one of his favourite rants concerned NRL clubs signing 15 and 16 yr olds to contracts when the young lads should be concentrating on their studies at this tender age...

Surely the noble Union clubs and the ARU are not going to go down this path?? :crazy:

It all sounds dreadfully middle class...

taipan

Referee
Woods99 said:
Taipan, And all those people use their higher disposable income to send their kids to private schools which do not play league. Also explains why there is comparatively little rugby league, junior or senior, in the most affluent Sydney suburbs. Doesn't it? Do you believe Sweeney, too? All of these "reports" need to be taken with a bucketful of salt. Who sponsors them? What is their methodology? Et cetera, et cetera. Finally, I notice a number of comments about the relatively poor attendance at last night's game which blame the cost of attending two such events in a short period of time, and/or the difficulty of getting to the SFS. Hardly what you would expect to hear about an affluent audience. Indeed, most reasonable people would expect an affluent fan base to pack out a game like last night's, irrespective of cost or other constraints.

All? What a load of rubbish.

The beauty of rugby league its available(except in GPs and accociated)schools to the battlers and wealthy.You had better pray that rugby league doesn't get an invite.:D
Woods ever heard of the Catholic school and independent private school system outside GPS and associated schools.They tend to have rugby league included in their sports.BTW I attended an associated school,had little money at home and I am a rugby league supporter ,as were are quite a few who attended,and still support rugby league.

Lets ignore the reports(to keep you happy) for starters Woods.The bulk of sydney's population is in the west, 60% past Parramatta.Many have double incomes and not the huge mortgages of the North.This has been shown in demographic surveys that don't concentrate on sport.There are also many battlers.Yes there is the question of petrol,parking costs and mortgages.

Check the TV ratings in Sydney,Brisbane and even Melbourne (got 230,000 on an election night) for the interest.Whilst the crowd was dissapointing at the SFS,the crowds for the tri series was 22,000 plus up on the previous one in England.
All the FTA commercial TV news had the tri series finals details on, before the union test yesterday .Say no more.

You shot yourself in the foot because teams within the Sutherland Shire,Manly and even Balmain have substantial junior numbers.Certainly Cronulla has.The thriving Gold coast with a mixture of wealthy and battlers has a huge junior rugby league base.One the wealthiest developers on the GC is Michael Bezzina ,formerly of Cronulla and a huge league supporter.

Well explain to me why with all the wealthy supposedly union supporters possess,why the only sellout for a union test was against the ABS.They couldn't crack a sellout for the world(certain parts) champs England against the previous world(certain parts) champs.Doesn't say much about union's affluent fan base.They should also be selling out the Waratahs every week.
Maybe like a few GPS kids I see watching the local NRL team rather than the Waratahs.

Maybe like the Sweeney report we should take your comments with a grain of salt.
BTW I completed a survey on the net recently asking which sport I followed AFL,Football,Swimming,Rugby ,Golf.Because I ticked the box rugby,the results will probably show rugby (union) as having a huge following LOL.