What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Telecrap: Bottom of the pile when it comes to RL news

dubby

Bench
ELA, I just love the way you put that fool Woods in his place every time.

Mate, you are king of the comebacks!

*bows*

Ohhh, they have too. Sweet.

:lol:

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/160772/australias-ten-wins-2007-rugby-world-cup

Australian free-to-air broadcaster Ten Network Holdings Ltd. acquired the free-to-air rights for next year's Rugby World Cup in France.

Under the deal, Ten will broadcast 20 of the tournament's 40 group matches along with the quarter-finals, semi-finals, third-place playoff and final.

Ten won the rights after last month posting a 94 per cent drop in second-half profit as it lost ground in the advertising battle with commercial rivals Seven Network and Nine Network. Ten said rugby's world championship attracted a ``strong demographic.''

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport...orld-Cup-rights/2006/11/15/1163266619884.html

Network Ten has secured the free-to-air rights to the 2007 Rugby World Cup.

"Securing the rights to an international tournament on the scale of the Rugby World Cup gives Ten even further credibility as a major sports broadcaster," Ten's chief executive officer Grant Blackley said on Wednesday.

The rights to the tournament, which will be held in France (with some games in Wales and Scotland) from September 7, 2007, reportedly cost $A10 million.

ROFL

10 million?

How in God's name are they going to get 10 million back?

How in God's name are they going to get the money they paid for AFL back?

They're going to be broke inside 3 years...

El Diablo

Post Whore
was anyone else bidding for them?

i seem to recall ages ago that 7 put in a bid but the ARU knocked it back as it was too low

El Diablo

Post Whore
Everlovin' Antichrist said:

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/160772/australias-ten-wins-2007-rugby-world-cup

Australian free-to-air broadcaster Ten Network Holdings Ltd. acquired the free-to-air rights for next year's Rugby World Cup in France.

Under the deal, Ten will broadcast 20 of the tournament's 40 group matches along with the quarter-finals, semi-finals, third-place playoff and final.

Ten won the rights after last month posting a 94 per cent drop in second-half profit as it lost ground in the advertising battle with commercial rivals Seven Network and Nine Network. Ten said rugby's world championship attracted a ``strong demographic.''

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Network-Ten-bags-Rugby-World-Cup-rights/2006/11/15/1163266619884.html

"Securing the rights to an international tournament on the scale of the Rugby World Cup gives Ten even further credibility as a major sports broadcaster," Ten's chief executive officer Grant Blackley said on Wednesday.

The rights to the tournament, which will be held in France (with some games in Wales and Scotland) from September 7, 2007, reportedly cost $A10 million.

ROFL

10 million?

How in God's name are they going to get 10 million back?

How in God's name are they going to get the money they paid for AFL back?

They're going to be broke inside 3 years...

this is still one of the greatest calls though :lol:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=2477479#post2477479

El Diablo said:
was anyone else bidding for them?

i seem to recall ages ago that 7 put in a bid but the ARU knocked it back as it was too low

Doesn't seem to have been anyone else interested.

10 million is a pittance (what'd 7 bid, sixpence?), but I can't for the life of me see how 10 expect to get much of it back through advertising during live matches at 1 - 5am for a sport who's popularity is lower than a snake's ring piece....

Woods99

Juniors
Doesn't seem to have been anyone else interested.

10 million is a pittance (what'd 7 bid, sixpence?), but I can't for the life of me see how 10 expect to get much of it back through advertising during live matches at 1 - 5am for a sport who's popularity is lower than a snake's ring piece....

Channel Ten is apparently trying to move up-market, towards attracting people with real money to spend, and who can spell "whose".

:p

You go Woods. You burned him by pulling apart his spelling man. He's probalby poor hey and uneducated. Hahaha.

I'd say at this point though 10 may be slightly more worried about the Wallabies current form than attracting an audience in Mossman. Where does it put them if the Wallabies exit the tournament early? That possibilty must terrifty them. "I can't wait for these semi finals featuring SA, France, NZ and Ireland" - These just aren't words that will come out of any australians mouth, union fans included.

Woods99 said:
Channel Ten is apparently trying to move up-market, towards attracting people with real money to spend, and who can spell "whose".

hahahhahah

I can spell it you dope, I just used the wrong word. In 20,000 posts, it's going to happen.

So you were wrong anyway, it was a grammatical error, not a spelling error. You lose even when you win little man.

And you're still a Union fan to boot.

10 million over 3 years for FTA coverage of Union in this country. That works out to be the salary cap of 1 NRL team per year. :lol:

I say 3 years because I've heard that S14 will be on at 2am next year on one of the channels and they may have paid another pittance to secure that for their dead-air.

wittyfan

Referee
The Sunshine State said:
You go Woods. You burned him by pulling apart his spelling man. He's probalby poor hey and uneducated. Hahaha.

I'd say at this point though 10 may be slightly more worried about the Wallabies current form than attracting an audience in Mossman. Where does it put them if the Wallabies exit the tournament early? That possibilty must terrifty them. "I can't wait for these semi finals featuring SA, France, NZ and Ireland" - These just aren't words that will come out of any australians mouth, union fans included.

Is that you Gort?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Network-Ten-bags-Rugby-World-Cup-rights/2006/11/15/1163266619884.html

\

No, you guys are all idiots. Where does it say Channel 10 are paying $10m? It just says they acquired the rights and they cost $10m. Doesn't say who it cost.
It's obvious. The ARU is paying Channel 10 the $10m to show that sh!t, not the other way around. Help pay for that huge drop in profit.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Woods99 said:
If they had twice as much it would still be zero.

You sad, bitter bastard darryl... is the $2.50 price too much for you to buy it everyday now ?

The fin review every monday has a full page of sport.. it is typically top 1/2 barring the right column RU, the bottom 1/2 barring the right column the AFL, and an entire column downthe right hand side for the NRL.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Woods99 said:

Then they wouldn't suffer a 94% drop in profit if they were attracting people with money to spend.

The torque report shows RL fans have the most moeny.

Anyway, if you attract RU types.. you're only going to appeal to 15 post codes in Sydney, 8 post codes in Brisbane and St. Edmund college in Canberra.. not much to bank on.

I'd rather sell to people who can't spell "whose" in that case.

ali

Bench
The Original Eye said:
Who in there right mind actually pays money for a newspaper anymore. The papers in the U.K. are full of................guess what ? If you don't like them, don't buy them.

The problem is the Sydney market has pretty much two main news papers, with the dailly tele having some massive share. So what is printed in the Tele, has a influence on how Sydney thinks.

Hence I'm chuffed that they printed my letter today. :cool: Still think the paper is a piece of sh*t though, that the NRL needs to rank as priority one when it comes to fixing all things currently wrong with Rugby League.

Brutus

Referee
More reason to believe that the Sun-Herald is number one for rugby league today.

It has five pages of league including the back page whereas the Sunday Telegragh has two pages of league (no back page).

Well done Sun Herald for giving that ultra-competitive RL match the back page even with the Ashes on.