What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Television contracts

Beaussie

First Grade
Razor said:
When 7 had the rights to the AFL on Friday night it went up against the NRL on the Gold Coast. The AFL came 4th or 5th every week. Never once came 3rd.

You do of course have a source for that dribble :roll:

That aside the AFL is not fussed about the ratings. The number 1 priority for the AFL is getting the games on the TV screens prime time in NSW and QLD.

The AFL were successful in getting Channel 10 to broadcast Swans and Lions games prime time in NSW and QLD, and with Channel 7 desperate to get the AFL rights back it can only mean more money for the AFL as Channel 7, 9 and 10 battle it out. Channel 7 have already said they are willing to take a ratings blow in the northern markets if it means they are part of the AFL action in the southern states where they have lost major ground since losing the AFL rights.

As I said the NRL TV rights will be the consolation prize for the losing network. Do you really think the NRL has any power in the negoitating process, particularly when you consider NRL games are only ever broadcast on delay in two markets in the whole of Australia. :roll:

Whatever happens, one thing is certain, the northern states will be getting AFL in prime time Friday night, Saturday arfternoon, Saturday night and double headers on Sundays. The other games not covered by FTA TV will be picked up by Fox Footy. The AFL will accept nothing less and with all three commercial networks and Foxtel desperate to be part of the action, they will all surely come to the AFL party.

Thomas

First Grade
LebaneseForces said:
The NRL have to get Saturday games on FTA for the kids especially!
I remember last year when i was coaching an under 6's team at Padstow the kids were talking about watching footy on tv. I was like do you guys watch RL on cable on saturdays? they said no Rugby League is never on (THey cant watch it on friday nights), they watch AFL.
THese kids watched AFL because the NRL is never on fta TV but their families and them love RL. IT's sad in Sydney (THE HEART LAND) we cant even get RL on FTA for the kids on saturday :evil: Their the future of RL!!!

Mate, spot on. If you don't have Fox, then you are resigned to watching only 2 delayed games on Friday night and Sunday afternoon. I'd rather get rid of the Sunday game in favour of a Saturday one. Then you can make a big afternoon of it with beer and a bbq and not have to worry about going to work the next day.

And to the bloke that said the NRL is the drawcard sport on Pay TV....does the NRL have its own channel? FoxFooty is the AFL's channel but the NRL has to share FoxSports with dodgey replays of golf and tennis.

Foz

Bench
Well it looks like there are at least 502,000 watching NRL on Saturday Nights.
There is only one way to watch it whether its at home or the club/pub and thats on pay TV.
174000 free to air for AFL.
Must be some sort of a drawcard.

Brutus

Referee
Beaussie said:
Razor said:
When 7 had the rights to the AFL on Friday night it went up against the NRL on the Gold Coast. The AFL came 4th or 5th every week. Never once came 3rd.

That aside the AFL is not fussed about the ratings. The number 1 priority for the AFL is getting the games on the TV screens prime time in NSW and QLD.

The AFL were successful in getting Channel 10 to broadcast Swans and Lions games prime time in NSW and QLD, and with Channel 7 desperate to get the AFL rights back it can only mean more money for the AFL as Channel 7, 9 and 10 battle it out. Channel 7 have already said they are willing to take a ratings blow in the northern markets if it means they are part of the AFL action in the southern states where they have lost major ground since losing the AFL rights.

As I said the NRL TV rights will be the consolation prize for the losing network. Do you really think the NRL has any power in the negoitating process, particularly when you consider NRL games are only ever broadcast on delay in two markets in the whole of Australia. :roll:

Whatever happens, one thing is certain, the northern states will be getting AFL in prime time Friday night, Saturday arfternoon, Saturday night and double headers on Sundays. The other games not covered by FTA TV will be picked up by Fox Footy. The AFL will accept nothing less and with all three commercial networks and Foxtel desperate to be part of the action, they will all surely come to the AFL party.

Please go away clown.

super_coach

First Grade
I think its time for a change--On the whole i think,seven does a pretty good job with its sport coverage--my afl friends tell me their afl coverage was miles better than either ten or nine--but really its up to the nrl to demand a better coverage than we are getting australia wide--i think the radio contract will be more of an issue--We just got to get HADLEY OFF THE RADIO--let him bore people monday to friday and leave us alone on the weekend

Big Bunny

Juniors
Beaussie said:

Ok, for starters you are correct. The NRL currently has no negotiating power. You obviously aren't aware of why the game is treated poorly though. It is because Channel 9 currently has the NRL over the barrel due to how the Superleague war transpired. The next contract however will be a completely different kettle of fish and it's plain ignorance to suggest otherwise.

Rugby league is the no.1 television commodity in Australia and also is able to count on secondary revenue from New Zealand. The NRL is very likely to smash television records when the contract is finally thrashed out, with the game coming up trumps in both the pay and FTA markets. That is without even taking into account the extras that rugby league brings to the table such as State of Origin, the Tri-Nations and a redeveloped deal for the NSWRL.

The AFL will gain a bigger contract than their last but only an arrogant and ignorant person would make blind statements about it being ahead of the NRL in the commercial arena.

The tv ratings speak for themselves... Rugby league gets delayed crap coverage and still out rates all the AFL games, live and delayed.. I bet our 2 delated FTA games would out view all of AFLs FTA games.

DIEHARD

----
With Seven's rating going down the drain, it's obvious that they have to do something quickly. And what better to get an under valued, under explosed code like Rugby League which is the undisputed ruler of sporting ratings in NSW and Queensland and the ACT as well as a presence in Victoria with Australia's greatest sporting contest the State of Origin and Internationals to capture the attention of all Australians.

Not only would getting RL help Seven get massive ratings in NSW and QLD it will also help them blow a massive hole in those of Channel Nine in QLD and NSW.

We should petition Seven to go after Rugby League at the very worst our contract will be bidded upwards.

Razor

Coach
And to the bloke that said the NRL is the drawcard sport on Pay TV....does the NRL have its own channel? FoxFooty is the AFL's channel but the NRL has to share FoxSports with dodgey replays of golf and tennis.

The NRL don't want a channel.

C7s bid for the NRL involved having a Rugby League channel, and the NRL said the public wouldn't want one, so they chose the much lower bid of Fox Sports to win the rights.

C7s bid for the AFL didn't involve an AFL channel, nor did Fox Sports. Foxtel's bid did involve an AFL channel.

The public showed they didn't want an AFL channel by no one buying it. So Foxtel put it in the basic package and forced everyone to buy it for $3 a month (700,000 people paying $3 gets them more money than 80,000 paying $9 a month - and only one channel now, not two so cheaper production costs)

Next contract time there'll be no AFL channel. Fox Footy will be the 2nd AFL channel to die. They can't kill it now, because their contract says no other sport will be on the AFL channel. Stupid by the AFL, because non-RL fans watch Fox Sports and see bits of League. Non-AFL fans won't be watching Fox Footy so won't see any AFL.

Beaussie

First Grade
Big Bunny said:
Ok, for starters you are correct.

Thank you for acknowledging that.

Big Bunny said:
Rugby league is the no.1 television commodity in Australia and also is able to count on secondary revenue from New Zealand. The NRL is very likely to smash television records when the contract is finally thrashed out, with the game coming up trumps in both the pay and FTA markets. That is without even taking into account the extras that rugby league brings to the table such as State of Origin, the Tri-Nations and a redeveloped deal for the NSWRL.

What a crock of shit. Seriously how can you say that when RL games are only ever shown on delay in two states of Australia. Besides NSW and QLD no other states in Australia get prime time RL of any sort, whether that be SOO, internationals or NRL.

No.1 television commodity in Australia. You surely are kidding. If that was the case why aren't any RL games shown in VIC, TAS, SA, WA and NT before 11.55pm or later? RL games on Sunday afternoon don't even get replayed till the early hours of Monday.

Don't take my word for it, just ask the Melbourne Storm supporters here what time NRL games or even the recent SOO are replayed in the second biggest city in Australia. :lol:

All that aside, thanks for the laughs mate.

Anonymous

Juniors
I would love 7 to pick up the rights. Or a joint deal, which perhaps would be better.

4 or 5 FTA games per week would be awesome.

Beaussie

First Grade
Channel 7 was f**ked for the AFL in the northern states and whilst I hate Channel 9 for their coverage of AFL, Channel 10 has been great for both the Swans and Lions.

Joint deals are definately the way to go if it can be arranged with a stipulation that certain coverage must be adhered to.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
NSW, Vic, and QLD are the three key markets in Australia and RL control two of these. The rest, commercially, no-one cares about. 54% of the Aust population live in NSW and Qld and is getting larger. The other states will have minimal growth or none in future years. So it seems commercially league is placed in an excellent position. AFL is desperate to have an effect north of the border commercially, their comp is getting more expensive to run and there are no major markets that they can take over without competition.

DIEHARD

----
Piss of Bevictorian. Let us discuss RUGBY LEAGUE we don't care about AFL. Go back to the fight club!

I dont know which idiot left the door to your cage open anyway...

iggy plop

First Grade
Beaussie said:
Big Bunny said:

Big Bunny said:

No.1 television commodity in Australia. You surely are kidding. If that was the case why aren't any RL games shown in VIC, TAS, SA, WA and NT before 11.55pm or later? RL games on Sunday afternoon don't even get replayed till the early hours of Monday.

Take your blinkers off arthur the only reason AFL get live games into the northern states is because they were smart enough to demand such a clause in their contract. If there was no contract clause, there would be NO live or prime time AFL in the northern markets. The Lions would get a run up in Brisbane, but you bet your bottom dollar that the Swans would never see another Saturday night Prime Time slot ever again. There would be no live Sat and Sunday AFL that's for sure. It's all about the contract.

It's up to rugby league to do the same in their next contract. Give a little to get max exposure in the southern states.

The AFL PAY for their exposure in the northern markets and that's been the case for years, it surely hasn't earnt it. Their ratings are shocking.

Moggles

Juniors
Even though the AFL pays for thier coverage up here in QLD and NSW this shows they have more of an idea about promoting thier game than the NRL.

The NRL has proved to be a hit with the converted, but has had very little quality time in VIC, SA etc..
Without tv exposure in VIC, the Storm will never get anywhere let alone RL.

super_coach

First Grade
if we had a decent free to air coverage at a decent time slot-we would probably still had the rams and the reds--how can the league ever hope to break into afl heart land at present--the whole thing needs a shake up==the afl is on a slow slide-rah rah is starting to make head way,especially after the world cup--League has to grab their chance-through this next contract--and maybe one day,the game will start to develope outside the eastern sea board--Their must be heaps of kids,who with some decent exposure,might take to the game--Remember every kids not 6foot seven--but of course the nrl dont run the game--news does

Beaussie said:
Big Bunny said:

Big Bunny said:

What a crock of sh*t. Seriously how can you say that when RL games are only ever shown on delay in two states of Australia. Besides NSW and QLD no other states in Australia get prime time RL of any sort, whether that be SOO, internationals or NRL.

Don't take my word for it, just ask the Melbourne Storm supporters here what time NRL games or even the recent SOO are replayed in the second biggest city in Australia. :lol:

All that aside, thanks for the laughs mate.

As is mentioned below 54% of the population are in those 2 states (NSW and QLD) The reason why Rl is not shown on FTA in those states is solely because Kerry Packer is interested in ratings for his station. (That is why he hoardes all sports and doesn't show any of them properly really) The AFL did a good job of negotiating when and what games will be shown and especially into the Northern States. It is also why they gave the northen sides a leg up financially and with salary cap concessions to make them drawcards. Brisbane certainly are and Sydney aren't too bad but are a bit off Brisbane.

You are right when you say AFL has a broader appeal across all states but in reality NSW, Vic and QLD are what counts. The NRL will need to be a lot smarter when negotiating the next TV rights contract. Because if they want to remain viable in Melbourne and grow in other southern states it is no use taking a larage sum of cash and getting the same ole service from Kerry and co.

Personally I think that the Singleton/Branson TV station is going to be the major player as far as the league is concerned.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Southern Rooster said:
Personally I think that the Singleton/Branson TV station is going to be the major player as far as the league is concerned.

I'd agree 100% if I knew the full details of that, beyond a snippet here and there. How likely is it that they will be given a license?

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
Beaussie said:

For starters, this from a someone who has been proven time and time again that many of his comments have NO foundation and he can't support his claims.

Second, since when hasn't the AFL been interested in ratings? What sort of dill would make this comment.

Poor rating means less advertising dollars for the network hold the rights, this means the value of the program becomes less, which in turn would mean less money for...you guessed it the AFL.

Channel 7 WILL get the rights on their own with Fox Footy becoming an inter code channel.

Some facts to back this up, before the launch of Fox Digital an average of 64,000 would watch Fox Footy great figures, and the channel was losing money left right and centre.

Channel Seven are not sending their 'normal' amount of staff over to cover the Olympic Games this year as they are reducing all costs to ensure they get the sole rights to the AFL. 10 and 9 wont have a chance as the contract states Seven have the last roll of the dice regarding all bids.

I don't care you gets what, just as long as it is fair for all fans of what ever code. Coz I sick to death of the networks not allowing the Australia public watch what THEY what to watch and stopping others putting those sports on.

Latest posts