What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Tommy Smith

Referee
And in the 3rd.

I'm glad I went to bed and didn't see him lose those two match points on his serve.

Just absolutely gutting.

Congrats Novak on being the most clutch tennis player ever. You are the GoaT.

LatK7

First Grade
Congrats to Djokovic and bad luck to Fed. Almost had a 9th title.

Strange match and epic at the same time. Fed won a few more points but he didn’t play the breakers well. Djokovic did what we all expected, but was a little all over the shop. Hard to think about now but Fed should take confidence knowing what he can still do. Djokovic will be hard to stop in a few weeks at the USO.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Glad to see the crowd finally be quiet at the end! Hope they went home crying! Disgraceful crowd, even booing when Novak politely questioned a call.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Glad to see the crowd finally be quiet at the end! Hope they went home crying! Disgraceful crowd, even booing when Novak politely questioned a call.
Did Nadal smash Federer? I can't remember.

Away from clay Rafa is now Novak and Fed's total bunny.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Did Nadal smash Federer? I can't remember.

Away from clay Rafa is now Novak and Fed's total bunny.

If you are second you are last- it’s all about winning. Rather Novak win anyway as he’s more likely to catch Federer. Nadal might win 1 away from clay but that’s it.

LatK7

First Grade
It's a tough one for Nadal fans, knowing Fed has him totally worked out, even at 38. His fanbase have always been obsessed with one single metric, the H2H against Fed, which Fed's chipped away at nicely. Still amazed how Fed turned the whole rivalry around.

Nadal will be in Djokovic's sights & you'd think could equal him this time next year. The state of the tour is atrocious, so I doubt it'll be anyone other than Federer to come close to stopping him.

LatK7

First Grade
Novak would have to play badly.

Not at Cincinnati. He's only beaten Fed there once, last year, in what was the worst finals appearance I've ever seen from the old man. He barely made a single return.

Cincinnati is one of the last genuine fast hard courts & Fed tends to blitz even Djokovic there. 2012 served he was served a 6-0 scoreline in one set. Even in Djokovic's highest point in 2015, Fed beat him easily in straight sets. Best on fast courts by a big margin. Now if the courts reverted to those speeds across the board...I'd bet on Fed picking up another couple of slams. Alas, they've only gotten slower. I still can't believe Del Potro couldn't penetrate the court in last year's USO final...just fmd.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not at Cincinnati. He's only beaten Fed there once, last year, in what was the worst finals appearance I've ever seen from the old man. He barely made a single return.

Cincinnati is one of the last genuine fast hard courts & Fed tends to blitz even Djokovic there. 2012 served he was served a 6-0 scoreline in one set. Even in Djokovic's highest point in 2015, Fed beat him easily in straight sets. Best on fast courts by a big margin. Now if the courts reverted to those speeds across the board...I'd bet on Fed picking up another couple of slams. Alas, they've only gotten slower. I still can't believe Del Potro couldn't penetrate the court in last year's USO final...just fmd.

Won’t be betting on Federer, if it’s not going to be Novak, it will be an unexpected one. Someone like Tsisipas is a good shot. You can take Federer, I’ll just take whatever I can on Novak.

Glad the courts have slowed they were too quick 4-5 years ago

LatK7

First Grade
Won’t be betting on Federer, if it’s not going to be Novak, it will be an unexpected one. Someone like Tsisipas is a good shot. You can take Federer, I’ll just take whatever I can on Novak.

Glad the courts have slowed they were too quick 4-5 years ago

I'm not a fan of rewarding of baseline defence significantly over offensive play, just turns into a dull grind fest with passive shot making. The 45 shot push fest between RBA & Djokovic in the WB SF was a joke. It's fine for clay, but not every surface needs to mimic the dirt.

Anyway, a younger player would be nice. The tour is on its knees with the past two gens providing constant disappointment. Tsitsipas has a lot of potential and a nice all court game, which has led to good wins over the big 3. The other young mugs just try to defend like Djokovic without having a clue when to come in and finish off a point. Someone should have come it to limit the success of the big 3, but nothing's happening.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'm not a fan of rewarding of baseline defence significantly over offensive play, just turns into a dull grind fest with passive shot making. The 45 shot push fest between RBA & Djokovic in the WB SF was a joke. It's fine for clay, but not every surface needs to mimic the dirt.

Anyway, a younger player would be nice. The tour is on its knees with the past two gens providing constant disappointment. Tsitsipas has a lot of potential and a nice all court game, which has led to good wins over the big 3. The other young mugs just try to defend like Djokovic without having a clue when to come in and finish off a point. Someone should have come it to limit the success of the big 3, but nothing's happening.

To a point but then again you don’t want every point as serve and volley it’s jist as boring that way. I love long rallies, not as if Novak can’t volley either, he’s pretty good at the net.

Would be a typical tournament that a dud like Zverev wins anyway. Novak has bigger tournaments to win.

LatK7

First Grade
Djokovic is probably the textbook definition of ‘adequate’ at the net, at least by today’s standards. Shame the complete, all court game has disappeared, the other problem with slowed courts. Hides a lot of the limitations players have, even the better ones of the past 10 years or so.

Interesting point about Djokovic focusing on the big ones. I think you’re right, his motivation at the masters has probably dwindled. It’s a tough balance because he thrives on rhythm and if he doesn’t enter enough or exits too early, he’s susceptible to earlier slam losses. That said, no one seems capable of taking him out until he runs into the old man or Nadal on clay!

Latest posts