What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

LatK7

First Grade
Hopefully the Aussies can manage a bronze.

PCB played a strong match against Djokovic to win the bronze. Another mental collapse from the Serb, threw his racquet into the stands and smashed a net post later on. He'll be back, but it aint easy to keep backing up when you hit that age.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Hopefully the Aussies can manage a bronze.

PCB played a strong match against Djokovic to win the bronze. Another mental collapse from the Serb, threw his racquet into the stands and smashed a net post later on. He'll be back, but it aint easy to keep backing up when you hit that age.
He'll romp in the US open

LatK7

First Grade
He'll romp in the US open

I don't doubt it, no one is in particularly great form right now on hardcourt (Zverev bo5 is ordinary), old threats like Thiem, Wawrinka, Fed, etc probably won't play either. Djokovic will get plenty of rest too.

LatK7

First Grade
Congrats to Djokovic, he's got the GS. He's giving more freebies than he used to but solid as a rock when he's needed to be. Medvedev hasn't got the game to worry him in a major.

Shame for Zverev. Way too passive today and mentally capitulated again in the important moments. I have no idea how someone that tall has the problems he does with his serve either.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Congrats to Djokovic, he's got the GS.

Yeah right, well done Medvedev finally breaking through for his first grand slam singles title.

Great to see Sam Stosur win the women's double title ten years after her singles truimph at Flushing Meadow.

LatK7

First Grade
Didn't see that one coming. Maybe age caught up to him there...he spent a long time on court. He looked like a deer in the headlights though before he looked physically done. Probably the worst performance of his career. For once next gen didn't just hand it over either. Well done to Med, very strong mental performance today.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Didn't see that one coming. Maybe age caught up to him there...he spent a long time on court. He looked like a deer in the headlights though before he looked physically done. Probably the worst performance of his career. For once next gen didn't just hand it over either. Well done to Med, very strong mental performance today.

Just thought he has been a bit off this tournament, dropping the first sets in a few matches earlier even though he came back strongly after dropping the 1st sets. Thought Zverev was going to get him in the semi.

LatK7

First Grade
Just thought he has been a bit off this tournament, dropping the first sets in a few matches earlier even though he came back strongly after dropping the 1st sets. Thought Zverev was going to get him in the semi.

He hasn't been great, but getting by ok in the tight moments. He's given a lot of freebies throughout the year but next gen haven't known what to do with them (implosions from Musetti, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapo, etc). Med's the first who just didn't let up. Had to happen eventually.

He'll recharge and win the AO, just got to avoid the lengthy 5 setters which will start to hurt his slam chances. He's not a young man anymore.

Bazal

Post Whore
He looked tired more than specifically old or unfit?

I didn't think he should have done the Olympics. I get why, but I wondered how it would affect him win or lose? Lose like he did (with an injury to boot) and it's wasted prep. Win it all and he's played a bunch more matches than most. We'll probably never know if that was the reason but he looked exhausted.

Ah well, he'll rest up and win at least two slams next year anyway you'd reckon

Apey

Staff member
He hasn't been great, but getting by ok in the tight moments. He's given a lot of freebies throughout the year but next gen haven't known what to do with them (implosions from Musetti, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Shapo, etc). Med's the first who just didn't let up. Had to happen eventually.

He'll recharge and win the AO, just got to avoid the lengthy 5 setters which will start to hurt his slam chances. He's not a young man anymore.
100% agree, if you've seen his results this year he has relied on mental fortitude and experience on getting out of some tight situations he normally wouldn't find himself in previously. He hasn't been blowing everyone off the court like he has in past years. I think twice in Grand Slams he had to come from 2 sets down? It was coming, though I'm very surprised it actually did happen. Usually next gen choke these big moments. You can't underestimate how much of a big moment was even for someone of his mental strength though. He's human.

He'll still be favourite for 3/4 slams next year. I don't think it's the changing of the guard just yet, but it's getting closer.

LatK7

First Grade
100% agree, if you've seen his results this year he has relied on mental fortitude and experience on getting out of some tight situations he normally wouldn't find himself in previously. He hasn't been blowing everyone off the court like he has in past years. I think twice in Grand Slams he had to come from 2 sets down? It was coming, though I'm very surprised it actually did happen. Usually next gen choke these big moments. You can't underestimate how much of a big moment was even for someone of his mental strength though. He's human.

He'll still be favourite for 3/4 slams next year. I don't think it's the changing of the guard just yet, but it's getting closer.

Yep, twice from two sets down against Musetti and Tsitsipas. Tsitsipas is a mental basket case but still should've held on.

AO and Wimbledon I think he could grab for the next two years. He's fresh for Melbourne and these kids are unbelievably bad on grass. The grinding of RG/USO will make it trickier, but at the same time the players who gave him grief there are pretty much finished via injury or retirement. Thiem could conceivably get back to his old level, which would make life very difficult for him outside of Wimbledon.

In any case, the Serb has impressed me. He's a legend & has done a good job of adapting his game towards the end of his career. I'm sure he'll go on with it for a while to come.

horrie hastings

First Grade
What a great final between Thanasi Kokkinakis and Arthur Rinderknech in Adelaide tonight, no break of serves in the first two sets before Kokkinakis gained a slight upper hand in the final deciding set.

Great match between the two with no carrying on, such a nice diversion from the Novax crap.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Farewell champion.

You will be remembered for breaking the long drought for Australian women's tennis Grand Slam singles titles when you beat Serena Williams in the 2011 US Open final.

Wizardman

First Grade
Farewell champion.

You will be remembered for breaking the long drought for Australian women's tennis Grand Slam singles titles when you beat Serena Williams in the 2011 US Open final.

From farewelling a great ambassador of Australian tennis through to seeing a current disgrace on it in Kyrgios.

Kyrgios has gained some fans over the last couple of years for some reason here. I'll remember him as guy with immense talent....but not an ounce of will to get the best out of himself in a very short window of opportunity to do so. He is clearly not tennis fit nor seems to have the desire to be.
The Tomic window has closed....give it two years, the Kyrgios one will have closed as well. A shame.

Smug Panther

First Grade
From farewelling a great ambassador of Australian tennis through to seeing a current disgrace on it in Kyrgios.

Kyrgios has gained some fans over the last couple of years for some reason here. I'll remember him as guy with immense talent....but not an ounce of will to get the best out of himself in a very short window of opportunity to do so. He is clearly not tennis fit nor seems to have the desire to be.
The Tomic window has closed....give it two years, the Kyrgios one will have closed as well. A shame.
You sad boring merkin. He's a fantastic entertainer and does his own thing

Latest posts