What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

SHAGMOP

Juniors
heres a thread for the great game of tennis. write absolutely anything you can think of about tennis in here.

P.S im sure Bucko being the old 'Tennis' forum Mod you'll be well and truley able to keep this thread in line!

i'll start the ball rolling:

does anyone think that ol' "C'MON" Hewwit can become world No.1 again?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Hewitt is a champ, and if he wanted to I think he could have become world no1 for 3yrs in a row.... but his style of play is just to demanding not just on his body but on his mind as well. Below are a list of things he achieved last year, the year of course after he was crowned world number 1.

- Last year Hewitt became only fourth player to rank No. 1 for every week during calendar year, joining Connors, Lendl and Sampras....

- Has been No. 1 on ATP Entry Ranking every week since he first took over top spot on Nov. 19, 2001 after winning Tennis Masters Cup title in Sydney...

- Also seventh player to finish No. 1 for at least two straight years (Sampras-6, Connors-5, McEnroe-4, Lendl-3, Borg-2, Edberg-2)...

- Captured five titles in seven finals and won at least 60 matches for a third straight season...

- Co-leader in titles (w/Agassi) and led circuit with 61 match wins...

- Became first player to win back-to-back year-end titles since Sampras in 1996-97...

- Had a streak of 10 consecutive finals won come to an end with his runner-up effort at TMS Cincinnati...

- After overcoming a bout of chicken pox in first month of season, captured his first title in San Jose where he saved two more match points over Agassi in one of most exciting finals of year...

- Hewitt became the first player to win Queen's title three straight years since John McEnroe from 1979-81...

- He then became first Aussie to capture Wimbledon title since Pat Cash in 1987...Dropped only two sets during fortnight

- Went into the US Open as defending champion and advanced to SF, losing to Agassi in four sets...

- Helped Australia back into 2003 Davis Cup World Group by posting a singles and doubles victory in 5-0 decision over India...

- Hewitt had most TMS match wins (23) on circuit...

- Compiled records of 14-0 on grass, 33-9 on hard, 10-5 on clay and 4-1 on carpet...

- Led circuit in return games won (33 percent) for third straight year and points won returning first serve (35 percent)...

- Finished No. 10 in aces with a career-best 536...

- Earned a career-high $4,619,386.

So as you can see he did have a very big year last season and it had to take its toll eventually

This season was all about just playing now and then, try and get refocussed for years to come and to try and bring his body and mind down a notch... he has done that by playing just 15 tournaments this year and that is the least amount of tournaments played by anyone who is currently sitting in the 50 of the champions race.

Next year I think we will see the old Hewitt back, he has already confirmed that he will play in the Hopman Cup, Addidas Internation in Sydney and then he will play in the Australian Open. Now if the start of his season is anything to go buy then we are sure to see the old Hewitt back and regain his position at the top of the mens circuit

bucko

Juniors
If Hewitt sticks with tennis, he can reclaim his position on top of the world. Hewitt is only concentrating on one thing at the moment, which is of course the Davis Cup. He always lifts a couple of notches in the Davis Cup, for example his semi final reverse singles match against Roger Federer. I think the scud needs to lift as well for the final, he carried us through in 99, and it'd be good if he can play his best tennis, he has really come back as a force this year. The spanyards are going to be very worthy opponents though, I think the Davis Cup final is going to be awesome though.

Onto the Australian Open, I think the Williams sisters are going to miss this one too, which will give Clijsters another shot at beating Henin-Hardene for her first grand slam. I can't see any other two females making the final, but these two are the most entertainig in women's tennis.

The blokes competition will be much more open, Roddick has really shaped up this year, as has Federer, Ferrero, Agassi (as always), even Philippoussis. This could be the tournament for Hewitt however, he will really want to advance in front of his home crowd, especially after last year's 4th round exit to El Aynoui (not spelt correctly).

But anyway, can't wait for the Davis Cup, Go Australia!!

Alan Shore

First Grade
Mark my words, Hewitt won't win another Grand Slam. He just plays an inferior style of game to Michael Chang (who was a better person as well). Philippoussis will be the dominant Australian player.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Mark my words, Hewitt won't win another Grand Slam. He just plays an inferior style of game to Michael Chang (who was a better person as well). Philippoussis will be the dominant Australian player.

That depends, Hewitt has the running game of Chang but is more complete, His overall stats have improved in general game play this year from years past but the main difference for him this season has been the fact he has hardly put his foot onto the tennis court.

Hewitt coul win another GS but only if he gets himself on a roll before hand. He is a player who needs to play alot of tennis to get results on the court...

Andy Roddick has claimed the World No. 1 spot now. I think he really deserves it after playing a great year or so of tennis. Is only 21 and i think there is still a lot more to come from him.

yeh_yeh_

Juniors
i can't wait until the POU wins a grand slam!

does anyone know when the australian open starts?

mullet

Juniors
I f**kING HATE RODDICK :twisted:

TYPICAL ARROGANT AMERICAN :!: :!: :!: '

anyone but him for world #1

anywayz the poo shits me, he is so inconsistent i hate watching him play
Hewitt all the way!!!!!!

Nah Roddick is a mad player.....he wudnt be at number 1 if he wasnt. Im glad he is there i really think he deserves it. He is better then Hewitt in my opinion.

Latest posts