What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terminator: Genesis

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
It has the hot dragon bird in it, so it'll well be worth a watch.

Jet Li looks to play his part well going by the trailer

I'm in!

perverse

Referee
Looks like they've finally realised if they're going to make any success of this franchise henceforth - the movie needs to look and feel like a f**king Terminator movie (i.e like 1 & 2 - dark, brooding, gloomy). I might actually have to give this one a crack without bias. They might have done a decent job here.

If people can see past all the time travel issues/paradox this movie will no doubt have I think you will enjoy it more. No point whinging about grandfather theory's and what not. I am glad the t1000 is back, he is by far one of the greatest villains in movie history. And I'm glad there is no terminator like we had in T3.

It was kinda cool how the terminator 1 terminator was a young arnie, then we saw the aged grey haired version.

The trailer leaves so many questions and I think they have nailed it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Trailer looks good apart from the bs over the top action bits at the end. Why does every action movie today have to have a helicopter crash/fight/jump scene?

The timeline seems like a big mess, hopefully they explain it well to sell the audience.

I tend to not worry about things like time travel when approaching these movies. I'm happy to swallow anything that is even close to plausible.

However, just off the top of my head without knowing anything about the plot, I would say that sending the original Terminator back in time (T1) made Sarah Connor aware of their existence, that leads to her blowing cyberdyne (T2) which delayed Judgement Day (as seen in T3) the resulting shift in timeline causing Skynet to calculate differently when it chooses to send a terminator back in the altered time line (ie this film)

That'll do.

Danish

Referee
I tend to not worry about things like time travel when approaching these movies. I'm happy to swallow anything that is even close to plausible.

However, just off the top of my head without knowing anything about the plot, I would say that sending the original Terminator back in time (T1) made Sarah Connor aware of their existence, that leads to her blowing cyberdyne (T2) which delayed Judgement Day (as seen in T3) the resulting shift in timeline causing Skynet to calculate differently when it chooses to send a terminator back in the altered time line (ie this film)

That'll do.

This movie's plot though logically means that the events of T1 and T2 no longer exist, as once the terminator is sent back to a time before the first movie, those events can now never happen. Kinda sucks to essentially unmake the 2 good movies just to squeeze out a 5th.

Given the track record hollywood has for reanimating these 80s franchises in the past few years I can't see this movie being anything other than terrible. I don't know why they didn't just go the 300/Captain America CGI muscles route with Arnie to make him look the same instead of coming up with this completely nonsensical "terminator's age... for some reason" idiocy that will treat us to some tremendous sagging pecs.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
This movie's plot though logically means that the events of T1 and T2 no longer exist, as once the terminator is sent back to a time before the first movie, those events can now never happen. Kinda sucks to essentially unmake the 2 good movies just to squeeze out a 5th.

Given the track record hollywood has for reanimating these 80s franchises in the past few years I can't see this movie being anything other than terrible. I don't know why they didn't just go the 300/Captain America CGI muscles route with Arnie to make him look the same instead of coming up with this completely nonsensical "terminator's age... for some reason" idiocy that will treat us to some tremendous sagging pecs.

I would say that's the idea. It's a reboot, a way to completely disassociate with the old franchise without necessary f**king up the old franchise.

Going forward after this movie T1 may never logically exist, but if T1 was the starting point to which led to Skynet sending back the Terminator to this point then it's still relevant to it's history (without it logically being part of it's history.....or something like that)

See why I don't like getting bogged down in time travel? :lol:

You're right though, I don't have high expectations of this at all. This seems like it'll be right up there with the watered down Robocop reboot. A classic turned into a glorified popcorn flick that's likely bogged down by fanboy wink wink nudge nudge moments (of which the trailer alone was full of them)

some11

Referee
Trailer looks good apart from the bs over the top action bits at the end. Why does every action movie today have to have a helicopter crash/fight/jump scene?

Ooooh Golden Gate Bridge, AMERICAN LANDMARKS GUYS.

f**ks sake.

Last edited:

tumbidragon

First Grade
[youtube]watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc[/youtube]
Honestly seems like an interesting story, but looks cheap as f**k! Musta spent all the dough on Arnie's cameo.

axl rose

Bench
Yes and it's saying something when he was willing to say goodbye to that payday. He was going to start his political career then but he had signed on to do a 3rd movie years before.

Fair enough. Didn't think it was a complete disaster, was entertaining enough in spite of Dane and Stahl. I think the original kid was supposed to be in it but he is a junkie. Which ironically would have suited the part.

Storm13

Juniors
Jai is just so miscast as Kyle it's my biggest gripe :( You have back in the original someone who looks worn torn like they haven't slept or eaten for days to someone who looks like he's straight off a magazine cover. Also from the trailer he seemed liked the damsel in distress.

Game_Breaker

Coach
I have a feeling the different timelines in this movie will cause massive mind f**ks around the world

The trailer suggests the past has changed, ok. Why would the future not know about this? You change the past, the future changes with it - classic butterfly effect

I have a feeling the different timelines in this movie will cause massive mind f**ks around the world

The trailer suggests the past has changed, ok. Why would the future not know about this? You change the past, the future changes with it - classic butterfly effect

Don't worry about the time travel issues. Every movie that has time travel has flaws.

Bulldog Force

Referee
So in this movie trailer we see re-made bits from T1 and T2... I'm guessing T3 is a no-show? And let's forget Salvation altogether.

God-King Dean

Immortal
It's just best not to pick threads off the time travel element, it's flawed from the get go.

For example;
Connor sends Reese back in time to save his mother, so he can live. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother, so he can live. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. etc etc etc etc

So does that mean there is parallel universe upon universe universe? What if Sky net is successful in killing Sarah/John? Do all the other universes follow suit?

Yeah, best not to think about it.

shiznit

Coach
I don't know about everyone else... But I actually enjoyed the last movie with Bale and Worthington in it...

Was it panned by everyone and they have decided to completely ignore it??

Latest posts