What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terminator: Genesis

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Personally I look at time travel as if it's a continuous Z shape. The top left point is the original timeline and when it reaches the far top right point where someone is sent back it shifts down the diagonal, returning to the same point just on a different line. So it's all one timeline, over the course of different timelines.

Not foolproof, but I find it a lot easier to ignore flaws compared to the whole looping timeline scenario.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think it gets dismissed because Arnold wasn't in it. Arnold is the Terminator saga to a lot of people.

I thought Salvation was alright.

I'd rather forget T3. Absolute abomination of a film. What in the actual f**k were they thinking casting this guy:

nickstahl.jpg

as John Connor? Because Connor was living life on the run, did they decide to hire an actual bum to play the part? Was it his terrible acting? Was it because he displayed no leadership qualities, & came off as a whiny bitch?

Why why why?

f**k.....

elyod138

Bench
I think it gets dismissed because Arnold wasn't in it. Arnold is the Terminator saga to a lot of people.

I thought Salvation was alright.

I'd rather forget T3. Absolute abomination of a film. What in the actual f**k were they thinking casting this guy:

nickstahl.jpg

as John Connor? Because Connor was living life on the run, did they decide to hire an actual bum to play the part? Was it his terrible acting? Was it because he displayed no leadership qualities, & came off as a whiny bitch?

Why why why?

f**k.....

Nick Stahl was a decent actor, check out Carnivale. Definitely miscast though. Last I heard he was a recovering junkie.

Generalzod

Immortal
At least it looks better than the crap that was Rise of the Machines...Either way it should have ended with Terminator 2 in the special edition an old frail Sarah looking into the sunset while watching her grand child playing in the park.

t2del28-10.jpg

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
Salvation was an absolute disgrace, this is looking better. I really hope it's decent, T1 and T2 are still my 2 favourite movies of all time.

Danish

Referee
Salvation is underrated imo

Salvation would have been much better as just a standalone sci fi movie without the terminator ties. Man just wakes up in future ruled by machines, doesn't know what happened, hooks up with human rebels who fill him in then finds out he is actually a machine.

Shoehorning John Conor's name into it was pointless

alien

Referee
It's just best not to pick threads off the time travel element, it's flawed from the get go.

For example;
Connor sends Reese back in time to save his mother, so he can live. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother, so he can live. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. And when baby Connor gets to adulthood, he will send Reece back in time to save his mother. etc etc etc etc

So does that mean there is parallel universe upon universe universe? What if Sky net is successful in killing Sarah/John? Do all the other universes follow suit?

Yeah, best not to think about it.

i dont believe we can go back into time. forward maybe, but not back. but if we could go back into time the universes where john survived couldnt change. he isnt going to be "erased from existence" in those universes. if he is killed when he is younger, it would only be so in that universe or any others where he was killed...

alien

Referee
so another question is, would you care what happens to other you's in parallel universes??? there would be no point in caring because you couldnt do anything about it - atleast not in all of them. some say everything that can happen has happened or will happen, so there could be an infinite amount of parallel universes and in most you wouldnt even exist because of possible things that could have happened to you ancestors that would stop you from even being born. to get even more complicated you could exist (as in your soul) but just in a different body with a different name. sorry if i have given you a headache godking dean :)

ps if skynet wins in 1 of the universes, then what? what do they do after that? travel space and try to wipe out life on other planets??? lol

Danish

Referee
Why doesn't sky net just send back 2 or 3 t-1000s to kill Sarah Connors mother when she was a baby? War=won

Or they could just build 1 million T1000s in heir current time and win the war easily anyway. What they plan to do with the world once it's destroyed by nukes and what have you is beyond my comprehension though

T.S Quint

Coach
It looks like they start with a rebooted terminator 1 except when Reese gets back Sarah/Arnie have already killed a Terminator so she's more badass than she was in the first Terminator.

It does look like a combo of one and two with T1000 and the well worn "we can stop Judgement Day for good" angle.

The only thing about the trailers that made we cringe were the "come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" lines. Sometimes you just have to let some lines go and come up with something new.

Trailer looks good apart from the bs over the top action bits at the end. Why does every action movie today have to have a helicopter crash/fight/jump scene?

The timeline seems like a big mess, hopefully they explain it well to sell the audience.

Both of these pretty much sum up my thoughts on the trailer.

vvvrulz

Coach
T2 > T4 > T1 > T3. Is the indisputable order of how good each movie was.

Salvation is the worst of the four by a country mile, it's absolute crap

That's not to say it doesn't have good ideas, it could have been great if not for:
  • Interesting setup with Marcus wasted
  • Entire Skynet 'plot' based on wild coincidences
  • Character motivations making no sense
  • Minor characters forgettable and pointless
  • A confused Bale and Worthington phoning it in
  • Terminators and Skynet terrible at killing
  • 10 mins of flashback in T1/T2 much more intense and scary than anything in T4
  • Trailer giving away the Marcus plot twist
  • .... etc

It doesn't end, its a royal mess of a movie.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I really wanted to enjoy Salvation (well I did still enjoy the night out at the movies, but disappointed in it's overall sitting in the Terminator 'lore'), but was mostly annoyed by both the trailer and opening scene of the movie going all obvious plot twist is obvious, taking away any mystery as to what the deal is with this Worthington character.

The whole idea of a Terminator not realising he's a Terminator was really quite neat, but the execution was just all off. Could've been one of those big reveal moments that make you go all Keanu Reeves (WOAH), but yeah but no but yeah but no.

And for me the Terminator Genisys trailer feels way too busy to get excited about, I'm more curiously interested at the moment than excited.

Maybe I'm just getting too old, hah.

legend

Coach
I thought Salvation was quite good and not messy at all. Seemed plausible based on today's technology. T3 came across as a parody in parts, especially when he put on those stupid sunglasses.

Todd Carney aka Worthtington cannot do anything but an Aussie accent though...

vvvrulz

Coach
I thought Salvation was quite good and not messy at all. Seemed plausible based on today's technology.

Story was certainly plausible, but the movie itself was hopping all over the place. I struggle to even remember a few scenes in sequence, I just recall a bunch of fragmented bits and pieces.

T3 came across as a parody in parts, especially when he put on those stupid sunglasses.

Totally agree, T3 had its fair share of problems including this. It was basically a watered down version of T2 with an alternate ending. Not as bad as salvation but really average.

Todd Carney aka Worthtington cannot do anything but an Aussie accent though...

:lol: Todd Carney-Worthington is a strange one. If you give him a movie that carries him he's not bad (Avatar) but leave it solely to him and you get a bumbling confused bore that slips accents everywhere (Salvation, Clash of the Titans).

shiznit

Coach
I loved salvation... This is probably going to sound a little silly but for me It seemed gritty enough in a sort of mad max way that it was realistic enough for me to buy into it...

My biggest fear going in was i hated the future scenes on T1 & T2 because it almost looked too sci-fi-ish like some sort of rollerball iron maiden video... That sounds stupid because it's all sci-fi... But I like it to have at least a level of plausibility to it.

I liked Bale... I certainly didn't think he phoned it in... He had an intensity in him that really suited the setting... Worthington I thought was okay... His character was ruined by the trailer...

Maybe I rate it higher because I had much lower expectations in it...

I could really have done with a trilogy of Bale & Co...

Latest posts