What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terry Campese

pantherz9103

First Grade
I like this guy as a player. He's strong with a big kicking game and nice acceleration for a big 5/8.

Is he related to David?

Timbo

Staff member
Nephew.

He was hailed as the next messaiah well before Carney or Dobson were on the scene, made his FG debut in 2003, but has only managed 15 odd games since due to indifferent form.

Was lucky to hold onto his contract this year, glad he has, after the form he's showed I think he'll be around for a while.

Macko8

Juniors
Has been explosive at 5/8 this year.
One of the reasons why we've racked up big scores.

Chachi

Bench
He's getting better and better as his confidence grows. I think he considers himself good enough for first grade now and he's been holding this team together since Todd messed up.

Could be a younger and more dynamic version of Jason Smith if he keeps going like this, with a great long kicking game as well. It's just a pity our 2 best players fill the lock and 5/8 position right now.

Love your work Campo.

dmickey07

Juniors
I think that the raiders would get the most out of this team by putting campese at lock. He would give us more creativity, plus he is big enough to put in as a forward. Unfortunately, tongue is at lock and it would be impossible to move him out of position as he is a champion. I still reckon that tongue is a better bnch player, coming on to energise the team. all this said, putting tongue on the bench is not going to happen coz he is the captain, and I by no means think that tongue should be demoted, i think its just one option in terms of fitting campese in there.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I think he can safely find a place in the second row. Given our depth in the back row he can also be rested and this will only increase his attacking capacity. I suppose the key will be Dobson's form over the next couple of weeks. We are getting in to a position where we will have to string a series of wins together starting with the Tigers next week.

Mal Meninga

Bench
He's a strong runner and has a massive kick. He's too similar in terms of skills set with Toddy which is why I don't like the idea of them playing in the halves together as neither are distributors without significantly impacting other departments of their game. Campo tends to hold onto the ball alot which tells me his future lies in the forwards.

Macko8

Juniors
When he was running at the line last night he looked similar to how freddy fittler use to hit the line.Big,strong and can step.

legend

Coach
Where do you put him though?

Nice dilemma to have for next round with all three halves available.

azza

Juniors
I'd put him in the 2nd row at the expense of Jones who gives away too many stupid penalties for my liking.

Timbo

Staff member
Tongue is an 80 minute player, he loses something off the bench.

I'd actually shift Tongue to 2nd row, Campese at lock.

Gives us 4 kicking options, with Dobson, Carney, Campese and Withers.

I wonder why Zillman hasn't kicked much from fullback this season (ala Hornby or Bowen) seeing as he's a natural 5/8...

ozbash

Referee
leave him @ 6. guy is an excitement machine.

he,d have to be the strongest 5/8 in the comp ?

donkey|rope

Juniors
i think long term you'd have to look at him being a 2nd rower at the raiders (how long is he under contract for?), but presently he has to stay at 6. i'd much rather have a team with campo at 6 and carney at 7, than any team that has dobson at 7 at the expense of either player.

Timbo

Staff member
Definitely a long term lock.

He's too much of a ball player to become a second rower.

Brimmer

Juniors
RIGHT NOW

I would keep him at 6 and put Carney at 7. Dobbo will be good but needs some time to mature I feel.

Timbo

Staff member
I think Dobbo will only benifit from working with his long term partner at 5/8, Carney.

Interesting to hear on this morning's footy show, when they interviewed Ted Goodwin (father of Bronx). He seemed to think his dropping was as much to eliminate complacency as much as form. So I think Henry, having already done this to Dobson, would only try it again if he was really awful-which so far I don't think he's been.

I liked Ted Goodwin's closing remarks to Peter Sterling on Bronx: 'Just wait till you see him at fullback'.

When Fully fit this would be my raiders team starting 17 and 5 other players to contend for spots, as much as i'd like to see Campese in the starting 13 ive put him on bench.
i know this doesnt have too much to do with this campese thread all im saying is i reckon when we have a fully fit side he woule be a good player on the bench because he can play in many positions

1.Zillman
2.Milne
3.Graham
4.Purtell
5.Goodwin
6.Carney
7.Dobson
8.Logan
9.Withers
10.Thompson
11.Costigan
12.Turner
13.Tongue (C)

14.Miller
15.Tilse
16.Campese
17.Weyman

18.Chalk
19.Plum
20.TLL
21.Kelly
22.Thurling

mongoose

Coach
I never thought he would be such a gun player. He has really stood up since carney got suspended. He has to either be 5/8 or lock and i would move tongue into 2nd row for him.
That would give us 3 ball playing backrowers.

Costigan
Tongue
Campese

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Makes you wonder why he never seemed to figure in supercoach Elliott's plans. You can also throw in Milne and Zillman for that matter. He is not exactly setting the world on fire at the Panthers, maybe the regard in which he seemed to be held was misguided. All that he achieved imo is setting us back at least one year from where we should be.