What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test Teams

Deetroy72

Juniors
Hu cares if 1 less eligible kiwi/Aussie gets picked for kangaroos Gd luck to Tamou. Australia player pool depth always sweetened with SOO eligibility but as a kiwi league fan we'll be right and chance blood new generators for our world cup defence. Besides until NSW beat Queensland SOO is a massive product but we still need international rugby league

Canard

Immortal
I think Jimmy Tamou has been the Cowboys best player so far this season, but combining those 6 games (3 of which we have lost) with last seasons form do I think he is worthy of an Australian selection.

Nope.

I suspect Jimmy Australian career will be a handful of games at most.

This is Richard Villasanti or Brad Godden all over again.

taste2taste

Juniors
Did the Kiwis select Prichard soley so he can cannonball Tamou the same way he did to Hunt? lol

tbh, im not fussed about Tamou switching alleigence, the Kiwis having enormouse depth in the front row and i would rate Matulino, Bromich, Rapira ahead of Tamou.

Pity about Matai being injured, Beale will be shown up against Inglis..i'd preffer to see Glenn or Mannering play centre.

Good luck to Johnso & Hoffman, they will be key men for the Kiwi's for many years!

Ant

Juniors
Happy enough with sides most players in form or proven previously.

On the tamou selection.
First form wise he has been going as well as any prop and he has been on a steady rise since debuting in 2009, he has played over 60 first grade games now is no flash in the pan at 23years old. That's more than Trent merrin. He was good last year and has been dominant this year. If you want form players picked he is one. Though I think if Scott had been fit he would have been playing city country.

Eligibility wise, well I hate the fact that states and countries are now trying to sign players up like they are clubs. I think players should nominate when they sign their first 20s contract before people really take notice and chase them. Just ask them the question when you watch a test match or origin who do you support. Done. It would be a shame for James if he had always answered nz until today. The inglis situation probably started this chasing of players.

But in the end it is the players choice and they live with it. He chose Australia and that's that. There are heaps of examples of players being born in one place and then moving or growing up elsewhere. I mean the cayless brothers we're both born and bred in Sydney and Nathan was world cup winning captain one of the top five most capped players. Josh Hoffman born and bred in McKay, Brent web cairns boy. Nathan fien played for qld before playing for nz.
Then you have similar stories to tamou like hunt. Moved to Australia around 13.
Same story for nsw And qld.
Jack read and heightington for fb.
But it is the players who live with their choice it's a shame that aust, nz, nsw and qld league officials would just the players make their choices without them whispering sweet ones in their ears.

blaza88z

Coach
got the following off of wikipedia:

Tamou has twice represented the New Zealand Māori, in 2008 and 2010.[6] He played for the Junior Kiwis in 2007. In 2011 he was selected in the New Zealand national team's train-on squad for the Four Nations, although he was not selected in the final squad for the tournament.

what a joke, a guy who has only ever played rep footy for a NZ team suddenly changes his allegiance when it matters the most

broncos70

Juniors
prop shortage? Josh mcguire plays 35 mins a game, makes 25 tackles and 120m. Aussie selectors area joke. This aint bias, it's true fact. Mcguire and especially Gillett should've walked into this team!! why is there a halfback on the bench? Cronk was a utility before playing halfback..DCE is a soft defender so I don't know where he can play.

blaza88z

Coach
prop shortage? Josh mcguire plays 35 mins a game, makes 25 tackles and 120m. Aussie selectors area joke. This aint bias, it's true fact. Mcguire and especially Gillett should've walked into this team!! why is there a halfback on the bench? Cronk was a utility before playing halfback..DCE is a soft defender so I don't know where he can play.

myself I couldnt understand having a halfback on the bench as a utility, other then that you can make a case for everyone else who is there

You got to admit, this is going to add some real spice to Friday night

[FONT=&quot]http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6748405/Benji-Marshall-slams-Tamou-allegiance-switch[/FONT]

Benji Marshall slams Tamou allegiance switch

Confusing decision labelled 'joke'

GLENN JACKSON AND CHRIS BARCLAY Last updated 07:49 16/04/2012
Print
Text Size
0 comments

6748664.jpg
Getty Images
KANGAROO: North Queensland prop James Tamou has finally decided where his international future lies in rugby league.

Kiwis captain Benji Marshall has a strong message for Australian debutant James Tamou, who has turned his back on the Kiwis to play for his adopted country: ''We don't want him.''
Palmerston North-born Tamou was named on the Kangaroos' bench for the one-off test against the Kiwis at Eden Park on Saturday.
His decision to make himself eligible for Australia just five months after being a part of the Kiwis' Four Nations train-on squad has already sparked outrage in New Zealand. New Zealand official Tony Kemp labelled the prospect of Tamou playing against the Kiwis a ''joke''.
''I could throw things at them too, but I'm not going to,'' Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens responded.
''It's an honour to be selected to play for Australia, as it is to play for New Zealand. I don't think we need to get into a slanging match.''
He might have little choice though. While maintaining Tamou was entitled to his choice, it was clear Marshall felt uncomfortable about it, given Tamou was in the extended New Zealand squad prior to last year's tournament.
''Just listen to him talk and listen to his accent and tell me he's Australian,'' Marshall said.
''But hey, if that's where his heart is and that's where he wants to play, we don't want him to play for us. If he doesn't want to be part of our New Zealand team, good luck to him.''
When quizzed last November about ultimately playing test football for New Zealand, Tamou declared: "It's definitely a goal for me. It was exciting just getting a foot in the door with the train-on squad. Now I want to actually put that jersey on."
And after the Cowboys defeated Canberra on April 2 he claimed he would be upset if he wasn't picked by the Kiwis.
Yet after discussions with NSW State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart and captain Paul Gallen he had a change of heart.
''I've seen it happen before with guys,'' Marshall said.
''Maybe the thought of playing State of Origin got to him. At the end of the day, these guys are making 40-odd thousand [dollars] off playing State of Origin every year, whereas to play a test match, you probably get $3000. That money side of things might be luring him. If that's where his heart is, good luck to him. We don't want him.''
But Marshall said the Kiwis would not target Tamou for special treatment. That comes after they targeted Kiwi-born Rangi Chase, who played for England in last year's Four Nations. Hooker Issac Luke was suspended for a controversial tackle on Chase, after which he admitted he was trying to break the English player's leg.
Ad Feedback
1x1.gif

''We got caught in that trap with Rangi Chase last year,'' Marshall said yesterday. ''The last thing we need is to get caught in that again.''
Sheens said Tamou deserved his selection on form. ''His availability was handled by the commission, and he's eligible to play for Australia,'' Sheens said. ''He wants to play for Australia. Many other players have done the same thing. He was selected on form.''
Asked about the probable backlash this week in Auckland, Sheens said: ''I don't know what to expect. My job's to get the side ready to play. That's all I'll be concentrating on. If it's a talking point in New Zealand, let it be so. The lad's made his decision.''
Meanwhile, Tamou, who was named on the interchange bench, is one of two debutants - South Sydney Rabbitohs second rower Dave Taylor is the other newcomer to international football.
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith assumes the leadership responsibilities from the retired Darren Lockyer while Johnathan Thurston slots into Lockyer's five-eighth position and Cooper Cronk is the new halfback.
In other changes to the Kangaroos side that beat England to win the Four Nations title, Justin Hodges replaces Chris Lawrence in the centres, Darius Boyd moves to the wing to accommodate the return of fullback Billy Slater -- and replace an injured Jharal Yow Yeh.
Gallen, who is usually a lock, starts at prop for the injured Matt Scott - a position he filled admirably for NSW in last year's Origin series.
Kangaroos: Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Akuila Uate, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Paul Gallen, Cameron Smith, David Shillington, David Taylor, Sam Thaiday, Luke Lewis. Interchange: Daly Cherry-Evans, Ben Hannant, James Tamou, Anthony Watmough, Matt Gillett (18th man)

broncos70

Juniors
Hope he gets absolutely nailed by the kiwis, and I hope Aus lose by 100 so that Sheens can lose his job. The quicker he goes, the better off they'll be. Don't want him for the world cup

Dragon2010

First Grade
Oust Sheens. What a joke of a coach. Also what a pathetic team IMO. One of the worse we've named in a while. So many strange selections.