What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tested team stays for Eels

The Colonel

Immortal
TIM ESCOTT
01mar06

WITH no injury concerns and his top players returning for the season opener, Parramatta Eels coach Brian Smith is quietly confident about the year ahead.

"The competition is extremely close again this season. There are so many variables in a season," Smith said.

"Anything is possible with this group of people."

The Eels had two losses and a win in their pre-season schedule, including a 26-24 loss to Penrith at Port Macquarie last Saturday.

"I liked our attack," Smith said.

"We did make some errors that hurt us, but a lot of plays were quite encouraging.

"We had 40 blokes and we paid a bit of a price for that. We're working hard to get ourselves down to a smaller group.

"That's pre-season, it mixes our squads up."

Smith said he was likely to keep the team that had been "tried and tested" for this season.

The Eels have a week off before their first away game against Newcastle on Saturday, March 11.

Returning is Eels test forward Nathan Hindmarsh, prop Paul Stringer, five eighth John Morris and hooker Mark Riddell.

The four made a surprise appearance during a 28-22 premier league win against Penrith at St Marys on the weekend.

Prop Michael Vella is also expected to return to the fold for game one.

Before the 2006 season kicks off, the Eels will have their annual fan day on Saturday at Parramatta Stadium from 10am. This free event provides a photograph and autograph opportunity for fans, rides and entertainment, and a chance to meet the Eels cheergirls and wish the players all the best for the season.
http://www.parramattaadvertiser.com.au/common/story_page/0,7168,18300059%255E36457,00.html

Stagger eel

Staff member
"We had 40 blokes and we paid a bit of a price for that".

definitely nothing wrong with that..

good story.

eelz47

Coach
The Colonel said:
Returning is Eels test forward Nathan Hindmarsh, prop Paul Stringer, five eighth John Morris and hooker Mark Riddell.

The four made a surprise appearance .

Prop Michael Vella is also expected to return to the fold for game one.

didnt see him out there, i believe it was micky who played on friday

PB

Bench
The Colonel said:
TIM ESCOTT
01mar06

"We had 40 blokes and we paid a bit of a price for that. We're working hard to get ourselves down to a smaller group.

...Smith said he was likely to keep the team that had been "tried and tested" for this season.

Seems that suggestion in an earlier thread that we were going to be resting players regularly and use the full squad was a bit exagerated...

I still think if we use about 30 players resting the odd player like we did last year around rep time, i'll be happy.

Latest posts