What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Testing time for Newcastle flyer: Cooper faces hard decision on rep future

Frederick

Staff member
Testing time for Newcastle flyer: Cooper faces hard decision on rep future

PROMISING Newcastle winger Cooper Vuna is torn between making himself available for New Zealand or Tonga and a contractual bonus from the Knights could be riding on the outcome.

The Knights have offered Vuna a two-season contract extension and hope to clinch the deal on Sunday morning, when football manager Warren Smiles meets the 20-year-old's agent in Auckland before Newcastle clash with the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium that afternoon.

Included in the offer is an incentive clause relating to international football, whereby Vuna would earn a financial upgrade if he breaks into the New Zealand Test team.

But Auckland-born Vuna said yesterday he was seriously tempted to make himself available for Tonga, regardless of how much money was at stake.

"I was born in New Zealand, but me and Dad have been talking about me playing for Tonga," Vuna said yesterday.

"I'd love to play for New Zealand but it would be a great thing to play for Tonga, because that's my culture.

"I've got so many Tongan friends who want me to play for Tonga.

"I haven't made up my mind. I suppose it depends who asks me first."

Asked if the incentive clause would affect his decision, Vuna replied: "Money is important but I'll just follow my heart."

He said the amount of money involved was "pretty big for a young fella, but maybe not so big if you're Danny Buderus or Kurt Gidley".

Vuna could precipitate the issue on Sunday when he plays against his former club in a match certain to be watched closely by the New Zealand selectors.

The youngster has appeared in only 19 NRL games, but his potential was noted when he was included in the Kiwis train-on squad at the end of last season.

He was subsequently overlooked for the Wellington Test against Australia and the three-Test tour of England, and that was perhaps fortunate for him. The Kiwis were smashed 58-0 by the Kangaroos last year before suffering a 3-0 drubbing on their tour of the United Kingdom.

Kiwi selectors have never been shy in the past about picking players who are either inexperienced, or even in reserve grade, and Vuna could be a possible bolter for the SCG Test against Australia on May 9 if he performs strongly against the Warriors.

If he is not required by the Kiwis, he would be expected to walk into the Tongan team for the end-of-season World Cup.

Vuna is preparing to mark Patrick Ah Van on Sunday, which will give him a chance to prove a point to Warriors coach Ivan Cleary.

"He [Ah Van] was one of the guys I was competing with when I left the Warriors," Vuna said. "It was either me or him that was going to be there.

"They chose him and I had to make the move . . . I've done my homework on him and Manly scored a couple of tries down his side [last Monday].

"He's opposite me, so hopefully I'm going to get some opportunities down his side."

Vuna had a chat with Smiles yesterday about his contract status and indicated his intention was to re-sign with the Knights, unless he was advised otherwise by the people he trusted the most.

"I've got to go see the boss and the big, big boss on Saturday," Vuna joked.

"The first boss is Mum and Dad, and the big, big boss is my fiancee [Necia].

"Then I'll see my agent and clarify everything hopefully by early next week.

"I've spoken to my agent today and I'm pretty happy with everything.

"I'm still young and I can't be chasing money at the moment.

"I came here to make a profile and [coach] Brian Smith gave me the chance to do that in Newcastle.

"Money will come up later."

The Knights will train this morning before heading to Sydney, where they will stay overnight before flying to Auckland tomorrow morning.

Smith will take an 18-man squad and is still considering whether to reinstate veteran Adam MacDougall, who has missed two games with a knee injury.
LINK

otori

Juniors
I wonder how much we're giving to Vuna? Maybe 150 with the contract going up to 175-200 depending on rep?

Probably be about $120k I reckon and an upgrade to $160k or so if he gets picked as a rep footballer.

Big match match for him thats for sure!

MC DUI

Juniors
Bah, I don't see how it's a hard decision he was born in New Zealand so I say make yourself available for NZ.

I was born in Australia and I'd be playing for Australia, I wouldn't care if a bunch of my mates wanted me to play for another country.

Pika

Bench
If he was born in New Zealand, and he has Tongan heritage...... sure thing starter for QLD origin I think.

Karmawave

Bench
If he drops another pass over the try line, we can do the Summer Heights High thing and threaten to send him back to Tonga?

NthKnight

If he was born in New Zealand, and he has Tongan heritage...... sure thing starter for QLD origin I think.

Qld get the Kiwis (Hunt, Carrol, Thorn) and NSW get the Arabs (Anasta, El Masri, Farah). How the hell is that fair?! :fist:

PrideKnight

Bench
Righteo buddy, not everyone watches everything you watch :roll:

Indeed they don't I was ready to get well upset about the Homo claims...

there should be a disclaimer preceeding television quotes "the quote ripped of is not necessarily the view of the poster" hehehe

PrideKnight

Bench
you might enjoy blokes dressin up as chicks, not really my bag though. I tried to get into it, and I just didnt find it that funny....

spose, i need my comedy a bit more low brow and usually animated, especially clay-mation

keeney

First Grade
I didn't rate it that much either. Flight of the Conchords was a much better pick up for HBO from this part of the world.

Latest posts