What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thaiday's Star on the Rise

strewth_mate

Bench
I can't see what the arguing is about besides error in communication. He is eligible to play for both states. He wants to play for Queensland. Whatever he does is up to him. Just look at Karmicheal.

Tigertread

Juniors
chinorocks said:
Being that he wants to play for QLD I wouldn't hold your breath about him playing for NSW.
Of course he wants to play for Qld, after all he is a Queenslander.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not sure he'll play rep football because there are that many good fullbacks at the moment.
However he must go down as one of the buys of the decade. From nowhere to 1st grade star.
Wasn't this guy playing some country keague in Ballina whilst attending alcohol rehab when we got him?

Misanthrope

Staff member
On form you'd have to rate him ahead of guys like Wesser and Mini. If they can't prove he played his first footy in Townsville, he's a Blue due to having played in Lismore before we picked him up. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him on the bench.

I'd put him ahead of Karmichael Hunt for Queensland, and he'd be great for impact off the bench for them. Imagine a side with him and Bowen darting around the ruck...

Tigertread

Juniors
CWBush said:
If they can't prove he played his first footy in Townsville
Not to hard to prove, his photo is up in the Townsville junior league office.
Plus in programmes I have from the NQ trials.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Not to hard to prove, his photo is up in the Townsville junior league office.
Plus in programmes I have from the NQ trials.

Well, clearly it is proving hard to prove, otherwise they'd have ruled on it already.

~bedsy~

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised to see Milton win fullback of the yr. His just doing so well at the moment, and he can still get better.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well, there was an article not so long ago about them having trouble finding the registration papers to prove Thaiday had played in Queensland first, hence the debate. If they can't find them, no amount of game programs will prove it.

Tigertread

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,15025168-23214,00.html

INJURY-STRICKEN Newcastle is planning to cap a dramatic few days by announcing it has signed former NSW Waratahs and recovering alcoholic Milton Thaiday.

Code switch ... Thaiday.

Thaiday is due in Newcastle to officially ink a deal with the embattled club, which is yet to win a game this season and recently lost play-maker Andrew Johns with a broken jaw.

Knights officials were tight-lipped last night, however a spokesman confirmed the club was talking to Thaiday.

A gifted outside back, Thaiday played 17 games with the Waratahs - including 12 in the Super 12 competition - primarily on the wing.

His last game for NSW was against the Pacific Islands on June 25 last year.

The 25-year-old's contract wasn't renewed at the end of the 2004 season after he checked himself into an Alcoholics Anonymous rehabilitation centre.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie yesterday described Thaiday as a terrific person with loads of talent.

"Obviously he had some problems which we were involved in helping him get through," McKenzie said.

"I knew he was back starting to play league.

"He's a talented player. He just had a problem. Hopefully he's over that now."

Thaiday has a background in rugby league, having switched codes initially to take up his deal with the Waratahs.

As a teenager in Townsville, he attracted the attention of Sydney Roosters scout Arthur Beetson.

The gifted outside back played two seasons of league in Lismore, helping Northern Rivers to a country championship, before joining the Waratahs.

Milton, the cousin of Brisbane's promising forward Sam Thaiday, has been playing with Ballina in the Northern Rivers league this season.

"He's a good defender and a good attacker," McKenzie said.

"He wouldn't have any problem (in rugby league)."

Thaiday's imminent signing came as hooker Danny Buderus marked his return to the captaincy by declaring there would be no whingeing at the club over its recent run of outs.

knights9

Juniors
He deserves a Origin spot this year he has played excellent for us so far, and has played better than most of the Queensland Fullbacks.

Alex28

Coach
3 games people...3 games. 3 games does not get him in front of Slater, Bowen or Wesser - lets be realistic...

I agree he's going great - but 3 games!

Roy

Juniors
i think 1 game could get most people infront of wesser, dont rate him at all

Ben

Bench
He won't be selected as the fullback if the selections were named tomorrow. But of the games this year, he is the form fullback of the competition.

knights fanatic

Juniors
i have to admit that i was a bit critical of thaiday early on last year but what a turn around. sacked by the waratahs for alcohol problems and now a try scoring machine.

all hail mr excitment!!!!