What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank Christ for Woolford!

Timbo

Staff member
We needed a high-profile ex-player/administrator to come out and say something, and finally one has:

----------
Raider McCrone is a 'gamble'

BY CHRIS DUTTON
08 Aug, 2010 10:02 AM
THE Raiders risk slipping into another season of mediocrity if they don't recruit a gun halfback, according to former Canberra captain Simon Woolford.And the retired hooker says it will be a ''gamble'' if the club puts all its faith in rising playmaker Josh McCrone.
The Raiders have so far failed in their attempt to lure an experienced No7 to the capital for the 2011 season.
Despite pledging their commitment to McCrone's development just two weeks ago, the Raiders are again on the hunt for a new halfback.
This time Canberra is interested in Dally M Medal winner and Manly's premiership-winning captain Matt Orford.
Orford is trying to get a release from his English Super League club, Bradford, in an attempt to return to Australia.
He is back in the Australia recovering from shoulder surgery and travelled to Canberra last week to meet Canberra officials.
A possible deal with the Raiders would be a huge boost to a team which has lacked direction at times this season.
Woolford said Orford would alleviate the pressure on Canberra linchpin Terry Campese and had the potential to propel the Raiders up the ladder.
For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...eague/raider-mccrone-is-a-gamble/1907252.aspx

--------------

I guess we have to hope that the Furner Mafia actually does something, and doesn't hit-and-hope with McCrone.

Another year with McCrone steering us around would be a disaster. McCrone would be an allright bench utility back and a solid reserve grade halfback, but we will, never ever ever ever ever ever ever tilt for the premiership with him steering us around the paddock.

aussies1st

Staff member
Too bad hes not the ones making the decisions, those Furner's are very stubborn once they make a decision.

Timbo

Staff member
Mate what blows me away, is clearly they see that McCrone isn't the answer - otherwise they wouldn't have chased Barrett, then Kimmorley and now Orford.

But when Orford became an actual possibility, they baulk at paying Braford a transfer fee.

Stop being such cheap f**kers and fork out the cash. This is beyond a joke now.

Better still dont sign White use his 1st year salary and pay the compensation. then use the remaining money from the 2nd and 3rd years of his contract and sign a young prop.

Also youd imagine Orford would attract bigger crowds and also sponsors

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Orford is great on the back of good go forward (which you have).

It is really a no brainier. He would set up 2 extra tries a match and you would be right up in the eight.

Now he has a habit of going missing in big games but he was won a premiership and Canberra aren't exactly sitting in the top 4 right now.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Mate what blows me away, is clearly they see that McCrone isn't the answer - otherwise they wouldn't have chased Barrett, then Kimmorley and now Orford.

But when Orford became an actual possibility, they baulk at paying Braford a transfer fee.

Stop being such cheap f**kers and fork out the cash. This is beyond a joke now.
Orford might bring a little more exposure. So the fee might balance itself out.

You will win more games with Orford so home crowds will be higher and you will definitely make he playoffs.

Probably a good deal when you think of it.

shear_joy9

Coach
If Orford is a step backwards, McCrone is getting in the car, doing a U-Turn
and driving for 7-8 hours.

I've never said mccrone was the right choice but orford isn't nrl standard anymore. The guy's been terrible in an inferior comp and would be commanding 300k+ to play here.

no thanks.

typicalfan

Coach
Orford is bad when the game is on the line, but perhaps a little better than a halfback with an inaccurate passing game and a low standard kicking game like McCrone. McCrone is a 5/8 and would make an alright one but all at sea in the 7.

skeepe

Immortal
Better still dont sign White use his 1st year salary and pay the compensation. then use the remaining money from the 2nd and 3rd years of his contract and sign a young prop.

Also youd imagine Orford would attract bigger crowds and also sponsors

You know what's funniest about this post? You actually believe things work the way you've described :lol:

Let me point out one of many fatal flaws in your logic:

The transfer fee does not count towards the salary cap, therefore you cannot simply take money designated for one contract and use that to pay it, because the equivalent amount will still have to be found to pay player salaries.

Cryptic

Juniors
Like we had a choice with Carney... Plus the guy is a f**kwit... It's only not being noticed because he is now surrounded by them and fans of the same ilk...

edabomb

First Grade
Like we had a choice with Carney... Plus the guy is a f**kwit... It's only not being noticed because he is now surrounded by them and fans of the same ilk...

I agree. Just sucks watching him for the Roosters.

trev

Juniors
McCrone has improved since being given some guidance and confidence by Andrew Johns. The last month, McCrone has been more involved and is working his butt off.

Had this happened earlier in the season, it's likely that there would have been more wins.

This is just my opinion.

Daveyboy

Juniors
The fact of the matter is, we have a chance to actually win a title since our glory days but McCrone is not ready, Joey or No Joey training is not going to change that, when it comes to the crunch McCrone will be found out.

Orford...3 weeks ago i agreed and stated that this would not be a good signing and i kinda still think that is some respects. But Orford would actually be ok, we just need him to steer the ship, make some key genaral kicks, which he can do and let Campo run plays with the backs...there isnt going to be that much pressure on Orford..which is why ive changed my mind and say yeah why not..bring him in.

We lost Finch and Carney....the third string McCrone is not our answer, we can only breed and bring up so many good No.7's in a 5 year period...we had our two good ones and have let them go.

Last edited:

Latest posts