What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you Blacktown Mayor and Bob Carr

Brutus

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24027680-421,00.html

AFL stadium in Sydney rugby league zone sparks outrage

By Justin Vallejo and Edith Bevin
July 16, 2008 12:01am

THE AFL will today make a bold incursion into rugby league's heartland with the unveiling of the home ground for its second team in western Sydney.

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou will be at Rooty Hill today to reveal the first look of a new $30 million stadium for the western Sydney team.
Civil works have already commenced on the joint venture between the AFL and Blacktown City Council. Work is expected to be completed during 2009.
Local rugby league clubs are outraged at the money being spent at the expense of local junior league.
The development will feature a main oval with a capacity of 10,000, including a 1500-seat grandstand, a second oval, indoor/outdoor practice areas and ancillary facilities to pave the way for a second team in Sydney.
Oval No.1 will have a 170m by 150m irrigated field, turf pitches, player interchange benches, embankments for 8500 spectators, function rooms, coaches' boxes, media facilities and third umpire and crowd control boxes.
The launch of the stadium comes a week after the council appointed a contractor to construct a purpose-built AFL and cricket precinct at Blacktown Olympic Park.
It is part of the Blacktown City 2025 future plan and will complement existing international standard softball, baseball and athletic facilities. A second Sydney AFL team is a key project of the plan, which includes redevelopment of Blacktown showground.
It will also include an internationally recognised motor sport precinct.
Quakers Hills Bombers, training in Blacktown last night, said they hoped a local AFL stadium and team would make the sport popular with children.
Matt Elliott, 15, said most of his mates played league or soccer because few had seen AFL played locally at a national standard.
"I think it's great that they're building the stadium," he said. "I hope it makes the game more popular and that more of my mates get involved."
Rooty Hill Dragons rugby league club secretary Don Milides was far from pleased: "I think it's disgusting. They're building up another code while letting down a code that has supported them for years.
"You should see the archaic property that we play on down here at Whalan Reserve, last season it was unplayable because of the drought and they had no watering system."

Bob Carr started all this.

Peppers

Juniors
I read this story on the Telegraph website. The comments section below it made me very angry. AFL 'people' have a certain way of making me want to maim them.
Why should we support a Victorian game? They are so dismissive and ignorant of RL and just assume that AFL is accepted Aus wide.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
umm... why does anybody care about what the mayor of a suburb has to say?

If Cambell Newman had a go at the NRL I'd be a bit more worried

j5o6hn

Juniors
Well the logicial thing is get rid of him and his council,dont vote for him campaign against him at the next election,you have to get involved politically.
Are there still people living under tarps in Blacktown anyone know.theres a nice starting point

Nerd

Bench
The AFL will need every cent of their future fund to support their team in Western Sydney. This could cause financial trouble for the AFL in the future if Seven and Ten cut back their next TV deal because of slowing economic conditions and a continuation of poor AFL ratings in Brisbane and Sydney.

El Diablo

Post Whore
turn on 9's 4:30 news and one of their lead stories is "how the west was won" and a brief bit about AFL moving in on Rugby League heartland :roll:

9 still doing their best to promote AFL

seems 9 are going to tell everyone AFL has taken over Sydney

Blind Freddy

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24028906-5006066,00.html

LEAGUE HAD IT'S CHANCE

BLACKTOWN mayor Leo Kelly blasted rugby league officials for "sitting on their hands" as the AFL today spruiked its plans for a western Sydney team in 2012.
AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was at Blacktown Olympic Park today to speak at a Blacktown 2025 conference.

Kelly said the AFL had already established solid grass-roots support in western Sydney and it was up to the the NRL to work harder to grow the game in the area.

"They (NRL) have been sitting on their hands,'' Kelly said, standing alongside Demetriou. "You've only got to look at (how) their top players are deserting them. A lot of the supporters like the old traditional teams like Balmain and Western Suburbs have switched codes and are now following AFL, strangely enough.

"So rugby league is the master of their own destiny. We'll talk to them and there's room for them too. It (basing an AFL team in Blacktown) won't be a white elephant. We are a can-do council. We are dealing with the AFL who are a can-do code and it will work. I guarantee it.''

Demetriou is under pressure from the Tasmanian lobby to give the Apple Isle an AFL licence but says the AFL is sticking to its plans for a Gold Coast team in 2011 and a side in western Sydney a year later.

He says the league has an $82 million future fund. "I know there is always a great deal of discussion about our expansion plans but we have said that we are aiming to have an 18th AFL team based in western Sydney by 2012,'' Demetriou said. "Nothing has changed our plans.''

Kelly defended the western Sydney team's chances of success. "We've produced champions in every sport,'' he said. "We'll continue to do so and you'll see some of the great AFL players come out of Blacktown in the future.''

Kelly says fans come "in droves'' when the Swans do promotions in Blacktown. "People come from as far afield as Lithgow and the Blue Mountains to sit by and watch them,'' he said. "So the support is already there and it's a win-win for everybody.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
this Kelly bloke is a doofus

wtf has Gasnier got to do with Blacktown

vote the labor tosser out

Brutus

Referee
He just asked him about Roy Masters' article.

4.8 million watch AFL on TV every week on Tv apparently.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Time for the people of Blacktown to vote him out.

A smart poli would make it the election issue

Latest posts