What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thank you Blacktown Mayor and Bob Carr

j5o6hn

Juniors
I listened to it Hadley was very restrained,or had not mastered his brief,he could have torn Kelly to bits,the mans a bumbling fool

paulyt

Juniors
No chance of getting rid of the Labor majority in the next election. People out here always vote Labor no matter what. Chifley was already a very-safe Labor before the last Federal election yet swung by about 9% to Labor. The couple of State seats are very-safe Labor seats as well.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Spot on...I have relatives down there and I've lost count at the amount of times they've brought up Sydney over the years.

It's classic little brother syndrome.

I just couldn't care less about Melbourne.

The majority of them do it... massive little brother, chip on the shoulder syndromes

How often do people outside of Victoria talk about how their city is better then Melbourne? No one cares. Yes I will admit I love the city, but it has nothing on Sydney or the lifestyle of the Goldy

Well I live in London and it sh*ts all over Melbourne, ha cop that Victoria. I have League, Union, Football on my front door and no fumbleball! Heaven!

meltiger

First Grade
haha for a bunch of people who think Melbournian's are the ones with a chip on their shoulders ... You lot seem to have no qualms about bitching and moaning about us :)

j5o6hn

Juniors
I was not talking about the Federal seat of Chifely,or the state seats, I was talking about getting rid of a local Council,ie Blacktown,all you need is some one with a few brains and some money and you can remove him and his Council

El Diablo

Post Whore
I was not talking about the Federal seat of Chifely,or the state seats, I was talking about getting rid of a local Council,ie Blacktown,all you need is some one with a few brains and some money and you can remove him and his Council

shouldn't be too hard

on radio they said it's 9 Labor 5 Liberal and 1 independent atm

ucantseeme

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24037141-5001023,00.html

$30m ground just tip of the iceberg

July 18, 2008 12:00am
THE AFL's new $30 million home in western Sydney is just the tip of the iceberg for ratepayers in rugby league's heartland.
Blacktown City Council has secret plans to develop a 20,000-seat stadium so the second Sydney AFL team can eventually host the majority of its home games at Rooty Hill instead of Homebush's ANZ Stadium.
Blockbuster showdowns like the local derby against the Swans and Collingwood would remain at the former Olympic Stadium.
The multi-million dollar boutique stadium for AFL and cricket will eventually replace the new training ground that includes only a 1500-seat grandstand currently under construction at Rooty Hill.
Blacktown City Mayor Leo Kelly indicated yesterday that phase two of the development is a fait accompli after telling 2GB talkback morning show host Ray Hadley the second Sydney AFL team would not always be just playing pre-season games at the Rooty Hill oval.
"They (the second Sydney team) will play there," Kelly told 2GB.
NSW/ACT AFL boss Dale Holmes told The Daily Telegraph yesterday there was a phase two component to their incursion into rugby league's heartland that must go ahead before they will even contemplate premiership matches being held at Rooty Hill.
The AFL also require Blacktown City Council and the NSW Government to make significant infrastructure investments to support home games at Rooty Hill before committing to any deals.
"I think the reality is the new stadium is really designed for, at this stage, pre-season games only," Holmes said.
"There is a phase two development scope which would increase the capacity to 20,000 seats.
"If it was to go to 20,000-seat capacity, if it had the infrastructure to support it - road, rail, bus - then yeah we'd look at considering it for home and away games.
"But in its current format we still see the stadium as NAB Cup and NAB Challenge (pre-season) games."
This latest revelation flagging massive future multi-million expenditure on AFL in Blacktown will only increase the resentment from local rugby league clubs towards Blacktown Council, who they believe has turned their back on tradition.
Blacktown Council has taken almost all of a $20 million taxpayer fund for developing western Sydney parklands into its new AFL stadium that will be complete by the start of 2010, well before the second Sydney AFL team enters the competition in 2012.
Mayor Kelly confirmed that $15 million of the fund would go towards the Rooty Hill main oval that supports the small grandstand and a second AFL/cricket oval next door while the remaining $5 million is to go to new soccer facilities.
The AFL and NSW Cricket each contributed $2.5 million to ensure they would have exclusive use of the new facilities.
Mayor Kelly justified the significant investment to support the second Sydney AFL team, claiming the "partnership" with the AFL would put $40 million a year through the local economy. However, that figure seems to be reliant on getting the 20,000-seat stadium built for home games.
Holmes agreed that playing premiership matches is the big money spinner in terms of getting the revenue streams that come with the traffic flow of people into the area.
The AFL has a heads-of-agreement with Blacktown City Council to share the maintenance costs of the new $30 million facility at Rooty Hill but Kelly would not reveal to 2GB what other deals they have done with the AFL.
Rooty Hill Dragons rugby league club secretary Don Milides summed up the general feeling towards Blacktown City Council's devotion to AFL earlier this week.
Milides labelled it "disgusting".
"They're building up another code while letting down a code that has supported them for years.
"You should see the archaic property that we play on down

LESStar58

Referee
Strange folk down there...

Visit Melbourne about 12 times a year (before i moved this year to london) and it never ceases to amaze me.

Vic: So who do you support?

Me: Parra

Vic: No, who do you support in the footy?

Me: Parra, do I speak with an accent?

Vic: No, in the real footy

Me: Everton and Sydney FC

Vic: Australian Footy, the swans?

Me: No one... i dont watch it

Vic: Blank look

Get outside of southern australia kiddies, your game doesnt exist! I cant beleive how foolish the majority of them are.

Try living here FULL TIME... usually with me it goes a bit like this.

Flogball fan: which football team do you support?

Me: Storm.

Flogball fan: No, thats not PROPER football.

Me: I know. SOCCER is proper football.

Flogball fan: You can't call rugby "football".

Me: It's my code of choice. When I say "football" I mean rugby league.

Funny story involving another LU poster, a one brendothejet. Last year brendo and his better half were in Melbourne for the Drags vs Storm game. Brendo was decked out in all his Saints stuff and there was a kid no older than 3 years old standing there looking up at him. Brendo gave the kid a thumbs up and said "Red And White" at which point the kids mother came along and led him away and said "Oh, no...he's a Geelong fan".

It's amazing the arrogance of these degenerates!

Tom Ace

Bench
haha for a bunch of people who think Melbournian's are the ones with a chip on their shoulders ... You lot seem to have no qualms about bitching and moaning about us :)

The amount of "would somebody please notice me" comments from Melbournians over the years warrants a few observations from us Sydneysiders.

We'll go back to not caring in the slightest about Melbourne very soon, don't worry.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally I don't blame a council for trying to get a pro sports team in their area. Forget about the code rivallary and condsider the benefits to the area if it comes off.

In Perth, Vincent council did something similiar when they bought MES and chipped in for its first redevelopment. They now rake in $millions a year just from parking fines!!

ucantseeme

Juniors
Personally I don't blame a council for trying to get a pro sports team in their area. Forget about the code rivallary and condsider the benefits to the area if it comes off.

If it turns into a massive cash cow for Blacktown council I still get the feeling that the local RL teams will still be playing on dustbowls and crying out for upgrades to existing facilities. Since RL is #1 in the area that scenario doesn't benefit the local area.

paulyt

Juniors
I know but I'm saying is this is Labor heartland. You can't and won't get people not to vote Labor. Most people here don't care about politics and vote Labor because their parents and grandparents always have and they are told "We are Labor voters" by their family. Those who are interested in politics won't care about a league/AFL fight, all of us on this forum are very passionate about league, that doesn't mean that all fans are. Sure, this is League heartland but there's not enough people passionate enough to care about this whole thing. Everybody said Rudd withdrawing the funding for the League hall of fame will see peole not vote for him in the league heartland seats and it didn't happen.

dannyboy

Juniors
... i mean i hate AFL but i would never bitch out a stranger for liking it. they are weird and obsessive down there.

No, you'll just unnaturally hate them, but only if they grew up in a 'league city'. What if they grew up in the country of a state that has a 'league city' for its capital...are they spared from your hatred?

Do you also hate people who now live in a 'league city' who grew up elsewhere and happen to like AFL?

What about if they prefer soccer and have grown up in a 'league city'? Is that also worthy of unnatural hatred?

Funny... Melbournites are the weird and obsessive ones. :?

Kiki

First Grade
good lord. did i touch a nerve or something?

what is with (some) people on this forum jumping on everything you say and dissecting it like you've submitted an essay to be marked? and why take it so seriously? its the internet. as if i ACTUALLY hate people who follow afl. its a term of speech. not a very serious one. jesus...move on.

Last edited:

dannyboy

Juniors
good lord. did i touch a nerve or something?

what is with (some) people on this forum jumping on everything you say and dissecting it like you've submitted an essay to be marked? and why take it so seriously? its the internet. as if i ACTUALLY hate people who follow afl. its a term of speech. not a very serious one. jesus...move on.

I gotta use that bait again.

Latest posts