What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2006 Powergen Challenge Cup thread

bartman

Immortal
Looked OK enough for the TV cameras I thought? Still hard to get people along to these games, except for the final.

I don't know what the answer is - even today I'm now feeling "too tired" to make the trip to Odsal for the two games on offer. And the other half's indicated there's housework to be done ;-)

bartman

Immortal
Here's one for the Saints fans, courtesy BBC:

_41944170_seanlong416.jpg

Bad angle of empty seats there...

bartman

Immortal
Yep, still undefeated in their league and in prime position for promotion - if they hold it together in the part of the season that counts.

To put it in perspective, the difference in player wages between the two squads is something like 2,000,000 pounds versus 400,000 pounds, it's a big jump/fall between Superleague and the next division.

bartman

Immortal
Great performance from Huddersfield. Final score Huddersfield 30 Leeds 12. One for the Huddersfield fans to remember for a long time to come.

Leeds looked disorganised in attack without Danny McGuire, and vulnerable out wide. Huddersfield have a win over St Helens in the regular season, so the Cup final should be a good contest.

terracesider

Juniors
Thanks Bartman but I've already got it transferred to DVD. :lol:

Our pack dominated so much that I don't think McGuire would have any difference.

bartman

Immortal
So, this weekend....

I'll be cheering for Huddersfield (underdog, Yorkshire side), but in my head I just can't see it happening against a full strength St Helens side on a big occasion. Few injury worries for the Giants won't help.

On the other hand, maybe resting the senior players won't prove the best idea, and they might struggle a bit at the start and end of the match? If Huddersfield play like they did to beat Leeds, then anything's possible...

Yeah I hope Huddersfield win but can't see it happening. That's the only problem with one of the weaker sides making the final. The biggest concern though is the crowd with a less than full stadium likely.

terracesider

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
Yeah I hope Huddersfield win but can't see it happening. That's the only problem with one of the weaker sides making the final. The biggest concern though is the crowd with a less than full stadium likely.

Not so weak, ask Leeds. :lol:

We've beaten St Helens already this season and run them close in another game.

terracesider said:
Not so weak, ask Leeds. :lol:

We've beaten St Helens already this season and run them close in another game.

Yeah but the way Leeds are heading they'll be a weak side soon too.

I saw that win over Saints earlier in the season and they played really well, but in a final when the stakes are high they'll need to be even better. Good luck though I hope they can win. I think it'd be a bit Sheffieldish if they did which would certainly overshadow the fact we were playing at that union scum stadium in front of a less than satisfactory crowd.

bartman

Immortal
Oh well, I'm off down there now to boost the crowd numbers... my first C Cup Final, and obviously first visit to Twickenham. So if you see a guy in a Parramatta jersey in the coverage, chances are...?

JasonE

Bench
Hopefully Thorman will be fit to play but if not it will be interesting to see how Tom Heminway goes in his place, he's a good little player and a tough kid.

bazza

Immortal
bartman said:
Oh well, I'm off down there now to boost the crowd numbers... my first C Cup Final, and obviously first visit to Twickenham. So if you see a guy in a Parramatta jersey in the coverage, chances are...?

I will be heading there as well hopefully - will have on a Parramatta polo not jersey. Rang the RFL this morning and they said they still had tickets but I will have to try at the stadium

bartman

Immortal
I spotted another guy in a Parra jersey Bazza, northern end behind the posts. But didn't spot a Parra polo. Did yout get in?

Tom Hemmingway never got his turn, but Hudds looked like they had a well-drilled game plan, but not the energy and bench power to keep it up for 80. And now to the fight to avoid relegation....

Latest posts