What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the 2nd Saturday final in week 1 this year

Raiderdave

First Grade
was mucking around on the ladder predictor on NRL.com & went to the finals week 1

it has the 2nd final on the Saturday starting at 8.30pm .. which usually ends up being 8.45 by the time the ball is kicked off

I recall after the debacle from last year ... where this final at the SFS only drew 13,000 ... that the NRL was thinking of scrapping this time slot .. & replacing it with the far more family friendly time of 4pm sat arvo ...

the news follows at 6.... & the 2nd sat final kicks off at 7pm

does anyone know if they're still looking at this ?

they really need to , if we end up with this one in Sydney like last year ... the crowd will be adversley affected again .. & while we all know Manly fans have faulty GPS's that don't work 5k's away from Manly ... they did have a half fair excuse for this one ..as it is a tall order for families to be in the city at 11pm ... on their way back to the burbs ...so they simply won't go.
I know it wouldn't rate as well on TV probably ..... but its about time the NRL told nine to F off ....as this one is for the fans

Band On The Run

Juniors
was mucking around on the ladder predictor on NRL.com & went to the finals week 1

it has the 2nd final on the Saturday starting at 8.30pm .. which usually ends up being 8.45 by the time the ball is kicked off

I recall after the debacle from last year ... where this final at the SFS only drew 13,000 ... that the NRL was thinking of scrapping this time slot .. & replacing it with the far more family friendly time of 4pm sat arvo ...

the news follows at 6.... & the 2nd sat final kicks off at 7pm

does anyone know if they're still looking at this ?

they really need to , if we end up with this one in Sydney like last year ... the crowd will be adversley affected again .. & while we all know Manly fans have faulty GPS's that don't work 5k's away from Manly ... they did have a half fair excuse for this one ..as it is a tall order for families to be in the city at 11pm ... on their way back to the burbs ...so they simply won't go.
I know it wouldn't rate as well on TV probably ..... but its about time the NRL told nine to F off ....as this one is for the fans

Agreed.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Especially considering channel 9 is really only bumping funniest home videos on a Saturday night if they started the second match at 7pm.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Especially considering channel 9 is really only bumping funniest home videos on a Saturday night if they started the second match at 7pm.
The way it's currently arranged, AFHV gets bumped completely anyway.

Jason Maher

Immortal
What would be wrong with 5:30 and 7:30? Nein can put the news on at 5:00 for the cricket, why not the footy? Or just stick with 7:30 on Saturday and have two games on Sunday - 4 and 6:30?

Hoggy

Bench
Does anyone know what order they are doing the games with the new system this year.

I did the ladder predictor just using the team that is above on the ladder winning each game (let's face it, give or take it's pretty close come the end of the season...)

1. Melbourne
2. Canterbury
3. Cronulla
4. Souths

5. Brisbane
6. Manly
7. North Queensland
8. NZ Warriors

Using the order that the AFL used last year, it went...

Friday night - 2 v 3 - Canterbury vs Cronulla @ ANZ Stadium
Saturday afternoon - 1 v 4 - Melbourne vs Souths @ AAMI Park
Saturday night - 6 v 7 - Manly vs North Queensland @ Allianz Stadium
Sunday night - 5 v 8 - Brisbane vs NZ Warriors @ Suncorp Stadium

Raiderdave

First Grade
Didn't they run these times (4pm/7pm) previously?

Could be easier if the Warriors have a home final.

its been a while if they did

& thats a bonus I didn't even think of

a 6pm kick off in NZ ... a 4pm live telecast into eastern aust
so it fixes another potential problem as well

its really a no brainer ..... gotta do it NRL
tell nine to take a hike
its only required for one game .... do it for the fans.

Raiderdave

First Grade
What would be wrong with 5:30 and 7:30? Nein can put the news on at 5:00 for the cricket, why not the footy? Or just stick with 7:30 on Saturday and have two games on Sunday - 4 and 6:30?

I'm not sure a Sunday game finishing at 9pmish in the city is much better then 10.30pm on a Sat for Families
with school & work etc .. again .. families will opt out.
it has to be 2 on sat

if 9 have to give up the ratings for the 8.30pm game they would prefer a lead into their news from a 4pm kick off rather then have it on before both games I'd think

regardless .... the 8.30pm Sat final time slot has to go.

cleary89

Coach
I read somewhere that 9 wanted 1 v 4 for the sunday and 2 v 3 for the friday. Dunno where.

Canard

Immortal
Does anyone know what order they are doing the games with the new system this year.

I did the ladder predictor just using the team that is above on the ladder winning each game (let's face it, give or take it's pretty close come the end of the season...)

1. Melbourne
2. Canterbury
3. Cronulla
4. Souths

5. Brisbane
6. Manly
7. North Queensland
8. NZ Warriors

Using the order that the AFL used last year, it went...

Friday night - 2 v 3 - Canterbury vs Cronulla @ ANZ Stadium
Saturday afternoon - 1 v 4 - Melbourne vs Souths @ AAMI Park
Saturday night - 6 v 7 - Manly vs North Queensland @ Allianz Stadium
Sunday night - 5 v 8 - Brisbane vs NZ Warriors @ Suncorp Stadium

There is no set order required, the games can be scheduled in any way allowing flexibility.

The outcome of one game has no effect on another in week 1, unlike the McIntyre system.

Moz 1982

Juniors
Agreed. My finals schedule would be:

Week 1:
Fri 8pm
Sat 4pm
Sat 7pm
Sun 4pm

Weeks 2 & 3:
Sat 7pm
Sun 4pm

Week 4 (GF):