What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL trying to shaft Warriors....again

GoSouths

Juniors

New Zealand Warriors chief executive Cameron George hopes his club is not forced to host a final at nearly 10pm local time to accommodate a prime-time Australian television audience.

Should the Warriors lose to Brisbane or Penrith next weekend, they will host a semifinal the following week. A victory will allow the Kiwis – the feelgood story of this year’s competition – a week’s rest before hosting a preliminary final.

George would love for the NRL and Nine, owners of this masthead, to dump the 7.50pm kick-off timeslot and bring their final forward to a 4pm New Zealand time – 6pm, Sydney time – on a Saturday.

The only problem is Nine is already locked in to broadcast an NRLW double-header on September 16, week two of the NRL finals.

“We won’t cop a 9.50pm kick-off, and no rugby league fan should cop a 9.50pm kick-off,” George told this masthead.

“We’re guaranteed a final in New Zealand, but there’s no way any stakeholder of the game would think it’s appropriate or beneficial to maintain a 7.50pm AEST timeslot.

“I would have assumed the broadcast agreement that’s been in place for some time would acknowledge a New Zealand-based semifinal timeslot that’s appropriate for all parties to attend, or that’s a good viewing time in Australia.

“Ideally, a 6pm timeslot in New Zealand and a 4pm timeslot in Australia on a Saturday would have a lot of eyeballs leading into any new commitments for the broadcasters.”

George hopes to sit down with the NRL next week to lock in a time and venue. Most fans did not expect the Warriors to make the finals, let alone secure an all-important top-four finish.

There was talk of the Warriors moving their home final to Eden Park, which holds 45,000 fans, instead of the 26,000 capacity at Mt Smart Stadium.

But again there are logistical headaches, with Eden Park having already sold tickets to the Qatar Airways Hole in One Challenge, which falls on the Saturday of week two.

There is a feeling the Warriors should be looked after when it comes to hosting a final at an appropriate time after they lived on the road for a couple of years to keep the competition going through Covid.

The NRLW double-header on September 16 will feature the Roosters and Cowboys kicking off at 1pm at Nestrata Jubilee Stadium, followed by the Dragons and Broncos at 3pm. Flights and accommodation have already been booked for the visiting teams.

One week-two option is to move the Warriors to 4pm, then shift the NRLW double-header to the vacant 7pm timeslot.

An afternoon kick-off on a Saturday is all but certain if the Warriors host in week three, given there will be no overlap with the NRLW. A double-header is scheduled to be played on that Sunday.

As for the ratings, Thursday night’s Brisbane and Melbourne game, featuring a cast of fringe first-graders, was the third most-watched game of the NRL season on Nine with 739,000 viewers.

Blair

Coach
"A victory will allow the Kiwis..."

I always hate that description. I mean, I know I'm nitpicking, but in a rugby league context it doesn't fit right when referring to the Warriors.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
A 10pm local kickoff either way would be stupid. Has to be moved to the afternoon, surely. The NRLW is a fledging comp and needs to be able to shift to facilitate the main comp quite frankly.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
so what day/time is our match against Panthers? Can’t seem to find details. Need to coordinate my golf so I can head straight to the pub and get on the smash and watch it in Manila.
I don’t think the times/dates will be locked in until after the final game today as we won’t know the venue for 6th vs 7th til then.

Iamback

Coach
so what day/time is our match against Panthers? Can’t seem to find details. Need to coordinate my golf so I can head straight to the pub and get on the smash and watch it in Manila.

It is the Sat.

I am thinking the arvo game

Meth

Staff member
It's not a crusade against us. Just an unforseen dilemma, which does show a laughable lack of forethought. They'll bend.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good signs that the NRL had already juggled the first round scheduling so our semi at Penrith isn’t a late kickoff, seemingly mindful of NZ TV audiences, so a reasonably safe bet they’ll do the same for a game in NZ.

Matua

Bench
It's not a crusade against us. Just an unforseen dilemma, while does show a laughable lack of forethought. They'll bend.
Does it honestly? ;) We can't blame them for not expecting the Warriors to be anywhere but sitting on a beach on an island somewhere come finals time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Does it honestly? ;) We can't blame them for not expecting the Warriors to be anywhere but sitting on a beach on an island somewhere come finals time.
At the start of the season maybe- but we’ve looked finals bound for most of the year so this is hardly a new development. How many weeks have we spent outside the top 8? Would be 3 or 4 tops all season.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Due to the Warriors not hosting a Final since 2008.

Its something the NRL & channel 9 has never had to worry about due to back then channel 9 had finals on delay back then so a 8pm NZ kickoff for 6pm EST in Australia meant no difference to channel 9.

2007 & 2008 finals at Mt Smart were friday night games so channel 9 just pulled the on delay card.

Play the game on a Saturday 6pm Auckland time - 4pm Sydney/Brisbane time its perfect.

Good signs that the NRL had already juggled the first round scheduling so our semi at Penrith isn’t a late kickoff, seemingly mindful of NZ TV audiences, so a reasonably safe bet they’ll do the same for a game in NZ.
While I would love to think the accommodated for us, I think it's more they want Broncos on Friday night TV for rating. But hey they can make it out that they did it for us! ;)