What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 46 points that have fired up Parramatta

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...rramatta/2009/09/20/1253384903310.html?page=2

The 46 points that have fired up Parramatta

Jessica Halloran | September 21, 2009

A CONFIDENTIAL club blueprint has revealed what the Parramatta players believe are the key reasons behind the winning streak that has taken them to within one match of what had once seemed an unlikely berth in the grand final.

Passed to the Herald after Friday night's convincing semi-final win, the 46-point document lists what Daniel Anderson's men believe is behind their dramatic form reversal.

The document, which appears to be the result of a communal thinktank, shows how Anderson has employed psychological weapons to lift his team for the finals; it reminds them why they started winning, and details the characteristics of the players who have impressed.

Twenty reasons the Parramatta players believe they have been successful is listed under the bold heading: ''WHY HAVE WE STARTED WINNING?'' On the flip side, under the heading, ''CHARACTERISTICS OF THOSE THAT HAVE IMPRESSED'', is another list, spanning 26 points, that details the qualities of Parramatta's players.

The key reasons the Eels believe they started winning, in their own words, include:

Never dropped our heads, not far off winning but carried on working on the good things from previous weeks

Believed in each other, played for each other and had fun doing it

The way we trained since last November. It all came together on the field lately

Working for each other in 'D'

Training and practice was getting put to use on the field.

The sheet was distributed to the Parramatta players before kick-off last Friday. A lot of the factors cited focus on belief and commitment. Phrases such as ''putting the team first'' and ''everyone started doing the little things for each other'' are listed. ''Confidence'' and ''change of attitude'' also feature often.

Insiders believe Anderson has focused on the players' psychology to get them firmly believing in themselves - increasing confidence in their teammates' abilities and bringing them closer together.

Anderson, who started his coaching career guiding Parramatta's lower grades, took control of an underachieving Warriors side in 2001. By the end of his first season, they had made the finals for the first time, and the following year were in their first grand final.

After coaching the Warriors, Anderson moved on to take over English Super League club St Helens. Under his guidance, they won a grand final and three Challenge Cups. He was dubbed the club's greatest coach by chairman Eamonn McManus.

Parramatta won seven straight games to finish in the eight. They upset minor premiers St George Illawarra 25-12 in their qualifying final at Kogarah Oval. They dismissed the Gold Coast Titans last Friday night, and will now take on the Bulldogs this Friday night at ANZ Stadium.

It's a dramatic turnaround since the Eels finished 11th on the ladder last year, with the club embroiled in chaos on and off the field.

Halfback Brett Finch opted out of his contract citing irreconcilable differences, and said he wanted to go to the Storm to better his chances of winning a premiership. Chief executive Denis Fitzgerald was also dumped after a bitter and divisive battle for control of the boardroom.

A new chief in the form of Canberra great Paul Osborne has helped settle the club. In a recent interview Osborne pointed to Anderson's great communication skills and belief.

Fairfax columnist Phil Gould agrees, writing in his Herald column recently: ''The change in attitude? Well, the transformation in this side over the past three months has been nothing short of spectacular. Anderson has instilled a spirit and belief in his troops that has people thinking a premiership victory is not beyond the realms of possibility.''

One of the final points on the dossier makes it clear the players believe Anderson is responsible for guiding them to their current position. It reads: ''The way we trained since last November. It all came together on the field lately.''

That it has, and with two weeks to go, it's the strong belief in themselves that might just take Parramatta all the way to the NRL premiership.
I love you, man: The characteristics players admire in each other

IT SEEMS everyone has an opinion on NRL players but it's not often we get a glimpse of what they actually think about themselves.

On one side of the secret document distributed to the players before last Friday night's semi-final against the Gold Coast are the traits the Eels most admire in one another. There are 26 points under the heading: ''Characteristics of those that have impressed.''

So who is ''approachable and a freak''? Who is ''on fire, turned our season around''? Who has ''showed confidence and direction for the team''?

It would be tempting to answer ''Jarryd Hayne'' for all of the above. The players are not named but one man could embody many of the admired characteristics.

But many of the Eels players' notes could relate to captain Nathan Cayless, Nathan Hindmarsh, Fuifui Moimoi, Krisnan Inu, Luke Burt or young gun Daniel Mortimer.

Key phrases on the paper, which was passed to the Herald, include:

Copped flak but has responded to be an important member of the team

Tough character

Attitude has been team-oriented given such a great individual year

On fire, turned our season around

Runs hard, big heart

Worked hard to prove the doubters wrong

Showed confidence and direction for the team

Plays above his weight consistently

Running the ball without fear

Upped his game - relentless

Off-field attitude has changed

Showing maturity

Great control for the team.

There's a lot of talk about commitment to the team. Other notes praise those with natural ability and tough characteristics.

Whatever the Eels admire most about each other, it is clearly working for the betterment of the team.

grapeape

Juniors
load of sh*t. i prefer more scientific analysis when explaining trends. fluffy fell-good statements mean sh*tall.

this is the team Hagan built - was that 1 point on the list?

yy_cheng

Coach
hagan hired the majority of them but he didn't know what to do with them?

If you read what they say, does any comments refer to Hages? Especially the november comment?

oldmancraigy

Coach
hagan hired the majority of them but he didn't know what to do with them?

If you read what they say, does any comments refer to Hages? Especially the november comment?

Did Hagan really hire the team?

1. Hayne - nope.
2. Burt - nope.
3. Inu - nope.
4. Reddy - nope.
5. Grothe - nope.
6. Mortimer - possibly?
7. Robson - yes.
8. Cayless - nope
9. Keating - yes.
10. Moi Moi -nope.
11. Hindmarsh - nope
12. Smith - yes/no?
13. Lowrie - yes.

14. Kingston - yes.
15. Mateo - nope.
16. Gulavao - yes.
17. Mannah - nope.

So he brought in Lowrie, Gulavao and Robson.
Saw fit to re-sign Keating and bring him into first grade.
Saw fit to re-sign Ben Smith as a back rower.

Hardly the team that Hagan built.

You could say that he gave a new contract to Hayne, Inu and Mateo - but even the stupidest first grade coach would've done that...

I'm not sure on Mortimer - was he with the club prior to Hagan? From what I've heard, one reason that Mortimer came to the Eels was the Bulldogs internal conflict, and the Hagan/ Mortimer link from their Bulldogs playing days.

But perhaps I've bitten the bait here? Grapeape could've been speaking a bit tongue in cheek there....

load of sh*t. i prefer more scientific analysis when explaining trends. fluffy fell-good statements mean sh*tall.

this is the team Hagan built - was that 1 point on the list?

dont be so ignorant. sports psychology is a valid branch of science.

for many years we've have had the team with an abundance of skil but seemingly without the confidence to maintain consistency or to go all the way.

This is a brilliant move, by a brilliant coach.

yy_cheng

Coach
Did Hagan really hire the team?

1. Hayne - nope.
2. Burt - nope.
3. Inu - nope.
4. Reddy - nope.
5. Grothe - nope.
6. Mortimer - possibly?
7. Robson - yes.
8. Cayless - nope
9. Keating - yes.
10. Moi Moi -nope.
11. Hindmarsh - nope
12. Smith - yes/no?
13. Lowrie - yes.

14. Kingston - yes.
15. Mateo - nope.
16. Gulavao - yes.
17. Mannah - nope.

So he brought in Lowrie, Gulavao and Robson.
Saw fit to re-sign Keating and bring him into first grade.
Saw fit to re-sign Ben Smith as a back rower.

Hardly the team that Hagan built.

You could say that he gave a new contract to Hayne, Inu and Mateo - but even the stupidest first grade coach would've done that...

I'm not sure on Mortimer - was he with the club prior to Hagan? From what I've heard, one reason that Mortimer came to the Eels was the Bulldogs internal conflict, and the Hagan/ Mortimer link from their Bulldogs playing days.

But perhaps I've bitten the bait here? Grapeape could've been speaking a bit tongue in cheek there....

Yeah, I thought about this when I was on the bus to work.

Very few players were brought in by Hagan.

Smith probably had more a hand in the players than Hagan

THe coaches I have put down I regards as giving them the chance to cement a 1st grade spot.

1. Hayne - Junior/ Taylor
2. Burt -Too long ago
3. Inu - Can't Recall
4. Reddy - But did Hages give him the start in 1st grade as a regular. He did play 1st grade prior to Hages but not consistently
5. Grothe - Smith
6. Mortimer - possibly?
7. Robson - yes.
8. Cayless - Too long ago
9. Keating - yes.
10. Moi Moi - Smith
11. Hindmarsh - Too long ago
12. Smith - I thought he was a Smith product
13. Lowrie - yes.

14. Kingston - yes.
15. Mateo - Junior
16. Gulavao - yes.
17. Mannah - Junior/Andersen

I hate that this has been leaked. This is something that is for the team, not the public.
maybe ando leaked it so the bulldogs would spend all week wondering which quote was for which player instead of working on their game plan....

"Worked hard to prove the doubters wrong- thats gotta be grothe"
"i think its burt"
"you're both mad its clearly inu"

"Runs hard, big heart has to be hindy though"
"its kingston you idiot"
"what about robson?"
:lol::lol::lol:

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...-which-has-kept-them-alive-20090922-fyr0.html

Parramatta players reflect on document which has kept them alive

BRAD WALTER
September 22, 2009 - 12:20AM

IT WAS in the days after the Eels' final-round defeat by the Dragons that Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson handed his players pens and paper and asked them to write down the reasons they believed they had turned around their season and the characteristics they most admired in a teammate.

The 37-0 thrashing was Parramatta's first loss in eight matches but after scraping into eighth place and facing a sudden-death rematch against the Dragons, Anderson wanted them to forget the events at Kogarah and remain positive for their finals campaign.

So he took them to play laser tag before going into camp at a Richmond hotel. The players had a night of music trivia and provided Anderson with the information he compiled into the two-page document published in yesterday's Herald , which he headed ''Why Have We Started Winning'' and ''Characteristics Of Those Who Have Impressed''.

Anderson gave players the information on a double-sided A4 page before last Friday night's 27-2 elimination of Gold Coast, which followed their stunning 25-12 win over the Dragons five days earlier.

On one side was 20 key reasons the Eels believe they started winning, while the other had 26 points listing the traits the players most admire in one another.

''Eric Grothe thought all the comments were about him and he was going around the dressing room after the game thanking everyone,'' centre Joel Reddy joked.

Among the factors cited for the team's late season surge were ''change of attitude'', ''started working together as a team'', ''we grew confident together'', ''committing to each other'', ''started to play football'' and ''training and practice was getting put to use on the field''.

''It was just part of the team taking a bit of ownership, everything that we think about the team and everything that we've committed to each other,'' captain Nathan Cayless said. ''We've been honest with everything we've done this year with our work. It's probably one of the reasons why we're sitting here … and we're still a chance to make the grand final.''

It is not the first time Anderson has used such a physiological ploy since taking charge of Parramatta this year, with Cayless revealing he had the players undergo a similar exercise at the start of the season. Star fullback Jarryd Hayne said a round 18 ''truth session'' had sparked their late charge for the title after the Eels were anchored near the bottom of the ladder.

''We sat down and spoke about the wooden spoon and not being a part of it and not getting it,'' Hayne said. ''I remember when I came out of Origin camp and we played Melbourne that was sort of the week mathematically if we had of lost we weren't a chance. I think we all just dug deep, we won that game and we beat the Bulldogs the week after and won six in a row and that was the real turning point.''

Reddy said Anderson's latest tactic showed the difference between the finals and the regular season.

''We actually believe that we could do more than just finish in the eight,'' he said.

Halfback Jeff Robson added: ''Daniel … just wanted to document [our thoughts] so we could read over it and it is just good to … remind ourselves of why we started winning … so we keep doing those things.

strider

Post Whore
''Eric Grothe thought all the comments were about him and he was going around the dressing room after the game thanking everyone,'' centre Joel Reddy joked.

:lol: :lol: :lol: