What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The a***hole of Australia

Parra

Referee
The a***hole of Australia

15 Comments | 0 Trackbacks | Permalink

Jack Marx

Friday, September 05, 2008 at 03:38pm

Sometimes, just for fun, I’ll read one of the other news websites, and it was while I was doing this late last night that I found a piece about Stadium Australia (known today by its current sponsor’s name, but, being that they aren’t paying me a cent to ramp their wares, I call it “Stadium Australia"). The author of the piece lamented the fact that Stadium Australia would probably not draw much of a crowd to this weekend’s AFL elimination final between Sydney and North Melbourne, the “obvious” reasons being the Swans’ poor form, the NRL, the recent Olympics, the start of the A-League season, the Swans’ “own reluctance to compel players to perform meaningful media commitments”, and, almost as an afterthought, the stadium itself, which resides in the unimpressive wilds of Homebush. The author expressed some fear at the flak he expected to cop from stadium PR folk, which is one of the perils of sports journalism. Being that I’m spared the wrath of such sandwich boards, allow me to tell the truth about Stadium Australia that every sports writer would surely like to express, and which all of Australia should know and admit.

Stadium Australia is a monument to this nation’s desperation to be seen as anything but the insecure little child it is on the international stage. Completed in 1999 as part of Sydney Olympic Park, a multi-billion-dollar 640-hectare construction which has been practically deserted since the last firecracker went “oooh!” at the closing ceremony of the 2000 Olympics, it is proof to the world that Australia can hold its own in the craven, political big dick competition that is the International Olympic Committee. The lack of bums on seats is never blamed on the fact that the stadium sucks - it’s always us, the punters who don’t “support” the venue (as if it exists not in our service, but the converse), or the sports that are played there (likewise), or the weather that rains there, or the lamington stall that took all our spare cash just the week before…
Like most state-funded works since 1955, Stadium Australia has the charm of a cold war interrogation room in which some endless renovation is taking place - concrete, plastic and scaffold-like metal are its visible constituents, with the odd friendless eucalypt and finger of ‘art’ sprinkled round the arena as if by some cheap god of a hobby train diorama. It has absolutely none of the warmth of the Sydney Cricket Ground or the MCG, in which the very hills and stands seem so full of personality as to be spectators themselves in the games they cradle. This is not really the fault of the architects or engineers, as anything else would have looked out of place in this particular part of the world.
I haven’t gazed into every ditch in this country, but what I have seen urges me to confidently crown Homebush the most depressing suburb in Australia. It literally stinks, being home to one of the most contaminated waterways in the world, the former swamp being landfill soaked in toxic diarrhea from the bowel of Union Carbide. It features no topography worth talking about, and whoever designed the streets and houses did so with no sympathy at all for the minds and moods of future inhabitants. Homebush is just such a solitary zero of white space and “functional” humanity that it’s actually hard to find words for it - one can only grasp at similar visions one might have experienced in the world of the arts: the deserted theme parks in Westworld; the wasteland scream of Einsturzende Neubauten; the type of sh*thole romanticised by the lonesome pull of so much urban realism, but which turns out to be less then hell once you’re trapped by the frightful reality of it.
Naturally, the people of Homebush are unhappy products of this most miserably humdrum booger of latitude and longitude: they hate their lives, it seems, and snarl at those fortunate enough to be zipping past on the overhead, on their way to some luscious existence somewhere over the Great Western Motorway. The hills have eyes as the residents drag their sorry feet along near-deserted pedestrian thoroughfares, their fleshy heels bulging over the edges of thongs worn wafer thin since ‘79 (I must take this opportunity to praise the courage of my wife, who, as designated family driver, foregos the luxury of closing her eyes for the Newington-Strathfield malodorous mile).
And this is the point on the compass to which the authorities would have Sydney turn for its ‘entertainment’: to the chemical bog from which came no complaints when a one-trick village was built on its top. Since the world’s attention to Homebush was replaced by tumbleweeds in late 2000, the powers that be have determined to sell us this quagmire of poo as the centre of town. If you want circuses, you must go to Homebush, where the trouble’s contained in a sewer dolled up. Not the SCG, or the many humble and handsome grounds that welcome all over our city, but a glorified quagmire in the middle of nowhere. Like demented old geezers shuffled into aged care, we are told it is “better” out here, “all new”, by bullsh*tting jackasses after our money because they’ve already wasted somebody else’s. Ours, for example.
They built the country’s biggest toilet, and they can sit on it. I’d rather have a sad time in a happy place.

http://blogs.news.com.au/jackmarxlive/index.php/news/comments/homebush/

Ridders

Coach
The point about Olympic park being created without any real consideration for the future is valid imo. Dont mind the pool though.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
There's nothing wrong with the Stadium itself. It's just really big and is obviously never going to fill out every week. Theres just not much atmosphere as a result. What would people argue the government should have done though? Not built a big athletics stadium for the olympics? People wanted the Olympics and they got it. This is the result. I have no regrets about it being built.

Loudstrat

Coach
Two things scream at me from that argument

• The biggest casualy of the Super League war was that the ARL didn't get to build the Olympic Stadium, as was the plan in 1994

• Jack Marx is an unrivalled arrogant trackhead in the print media.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
There's nothing wrong with the Stadium itself. It's just really big and is obviously never going to fill out every week. Theres just not much atmosphere as a result. What would people argue the government should have done though? Not built a big athletics stadium for the olympics? People wanted the Olympics and they got it. This is the result. I have no regrets about it being built.

They spent a billion dollars to design a stadium for an event lasting two weeks and obviously didn't put enough thought into how the stadium would be used after those two weeks were up.

BrisVegas

Juniors

It should have been designed to facilitate reconfiguration into a dedicated rectangular venue after the Olympics. No matter how good the amenities, public transport access or corporate facilities are, they are all secondary to providing spectators with a view of the sport being played. And ANZ is an clear failure when it comes to providing an adequate view of the field.

If ANZ was a 80K version of Lang Park people would be more inclined to attend, making the excess size and lack of atmosphere less of an issue

bulos01

Juniors
poor planning. london 2012 has a 80000 seat stadium being planned then after the olympics its turning into a 20000 seater. they also have plans for teams to play there after the olympics. the london skolars(nl2) for example.
turning a 110000seater to an 80000 one in hombush of all places is stupid. at least the london olympic stadium is in the middle of london city.

Loudstrat

Coach
poor planning. london 2012 has a 80000 seat stadium being planned then after the olympics its turning into a 20000 seater. they also have plans for teams to play there after the olympics. the london skolars(nl2) for example.
turning a 110000seater to an 80000 one in hombush of all places is stupid. at least the london olympic stadium is in the middle of london city.

And Homebush is in the middle of Sydney. If the SFS was in a place where the masses could access, you'd double the crowds there.

bulos01

Juniors
Sydneys the biggest bloody sh*thole in the country..its only fitting they have a sh*thole stadium
ok ill bite
plzzzzzzzzzz if they are having an event its in sydney. and thats including the advertising. nobody wants to see the 3 buildings they have in brisbane. they build one stadium thats decent and they think they are the best thing since slice bread.

boonboon

Juniors
I lived in Canberra and Melbourne and I've only been to Stadium Aus for footy 3 times - and I thought it was a great stadium and great view of the game - compares well to other stadiums both in Aus and around the world in my opinion- me thinks that as always Sydney people are wingers and don't appreciated what they have

• Jack Marx is an unrivalled arrogant trackhead in the print media.

I'll second that.

Except he's not in the print media - he's paid to write an online blog... a fact that makes me laugh.

Now he's just a sad, pathetic man with a god complex struggling to deal with his complete irrelevancy in the journalistic world.

ali

Bench
I've always liked it. But I guess I may get over going there every week if I supported a team playing there.

Interesting to read on the front of the paper this morning that London are considering demolishing their stadium at the end of the Olympics. I think they are currently struggling to find any tenants. West Ham have said it's too small (in 25000 mode), Leyton Orient and some Union club are other options, but i think the Union mob are not keen on the athletics track. London Skolars have been showing some interest, but are miles off being big enough to warrant playing there.

Tom Shines

First Grade
With a bit of temporary removal of seating and some work, Wembley could hold the games for a fraction of the cost of building a temporary stadium and removing it again.

Loudstrat

Coach
No. Right smack bang in the middle of the demographics. Actually, to be pedantic, it's about 5k east of the demographic centre.

jdizzle

Juniors
No. Right smack bang in the middle of the demographics. Actually, to be pedantic, it's about 5k east of the demographic centre.

It may be in the middle "demographically" (I wouldn't mind seeing proof of that), but the SFS is a more central and accessible venue (not necessarily by public transport).