What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The a***hole of Australia

jdizzle

Juniors
That's a very narrow-minded view. Sure, for minor events such as club matches there's an extra, very short train trip involved to get there by train. But in general, most roads and rail lines in there, particular for big events, are very well set-up.

You live in the central coast. You get on a freeway and you stay on 110 til you get home.

What would you know about getting from Homebush to cronulla... homebush to bondi.... homebush to manly etc. ?

And you say very short train trip. lol.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You live in the central coast. You get on a freeway and you stay on 110 til you get home.

What would you know about getting from Homebush to cronulla... homebush to bondi.... homebush to manly etc. ?

And you say very short train trip. lol.

Tried reading entire sentences before responding? I said an extra, very short train trip, referring to the Lidcombe sprint.

As for the nonsense about the freeway, refresh yourself on where it ends. Wahroonga. a good 30km from Olympic Park. The two primary access routes are Pennant Hills Rd/Beecroft/Blaxland Rds, and the Pacific Hwy/Ryde/Lane Cove Rds.

And as for knowing about getting out to grounds etc, I've had to go from Gosford to Penrith, Gosford to Wollongong, Gosford to Cronulla, Gosford to Kogarah, and ALL usually during peak hour. While I await someone's predictable response about how I'm trying to earn some sort of medal, I'd like to make the point to jdizzle that I'm well aware of how difficult it is to get around Sydney to get to the football. I've found the solution quite easy. Avoid using CityRail.

Knightmare

Coach
Most of QE2's seats were in uncovered, temporary stands that they never bothered to take down. That place was a complete dump, nothing like the quality you have at Homebush.

ANZ stadium, apart from the backs of the stands at either end, is in the open air. Even the front rows of the side grandstands are uncovered.

Loudstrat

Coach
To be fair there is the Brewery about 200m walk from the stadium, plenty of people meet there pre- and post-match.

I haven't got much bad to say about ANZ apart from the atmosphere... but that's generally because I shell out the extra to get a good seat. If that's not your go, then the stadium probably isn't going to be as enjoyable. As I've intimated elsewhere, the ideal would be to have the SFS in Olympic Park and ANZ next to the SCG.

LOL. So make ANZ less accessible? Why not put ANZ at St Marys. Same distance from everything - just different end of the compass!

Whingeing about driving from Cronulla to Homebush. It's called King Georges Rd numbnuts!

To me, the Peninsular folx may have a gripe re ANZ's location. The Bondi to MAroubra mob probably too, but they have had the cities main venues on their doorstep for 2 centuries. f**k 'em. Half of the city remembers the hour and a half drive in from the west and south west. I recall once taking an hour to travel up Cleveland St. Left Newtown at 10, got to Anzac Pde at 11.

ANZ is only a problem for people on the other side of the spit bridge, and those to lazy to get off their arse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney needs an 80,000 stadium, where would you play finals, SOO, soccer Int's etc? Also what is the ground average for the NRL teams that play there compared to the ground average of the suburban grounds like Cronulla, Penrith, Parramatta and Manly?

Sydney RL needs a 30,000 modern stadia but will probaby never get one as the clubs have no idea.

Loudstrat

Coach
f**k you are a whinging genius at times! So the SFS (42k) or Parramatta (21k) are not suitable for you?

When was the last time a club built a stadium on it's own? Robina cost $600 million - which club has that in the bank? It's YOU who has no idea!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've got no idea?

How about the NRL/Sydney clubs/fans using their collective might to pressure the NSW Govt to build a decent ground? Or clubs pooling their resources instead of getting sticky plaster $5million grants to do up crumbling suburban grounds?

You think the Vic, Q'land and WA Govt have/are building new stadia on a whim? No they were pressured by lobbyists from the clubs/codes. As I said Sydney clubs have no idea, and so it would seem do you!

Loudstrat

Coach
Yes, you have no idea.

Given that the state needs to find $15 billion to upgrade their power stations, and

Given that in the last decade the NSW Govt has funded Stadium Australia, Showgrounds, Acer Arena, Sydney Athletics Centre, a massive upgrade to EA Stadium plus a sh*tload of public money into the Equestrian Centre and the Rowing/Kayacking part of Penrith Lakes, plus other public works programs such as the Pacific Highway duplication, renovation of Warragamba Dam, Desalination plant etc,

why would they build yet ANOTHER stadium, to be used once a fortnight for half a year, like the SFS, Parramatta, Bluetongue etc?

You also ignore that the ARL was going to build and fund the Olympic Stadium, with the view for converting it into a massive 90-100 000 seater league ground. Then the Super League war, which YOU couldn't wait to join, drained all of their funds. Had pathetic clubs like the Reds not joined Traitor League, this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Yes, you have no idea.

Given that the state needs to find $15 billion to upgrade their power stations, and

Given that in the last decade the NSW Govt has funded Stadium Australia, Showgrounds, Acer Arena, Sydney Athletics Centre, a massive upgrade to EA Stadium plus a sh*tload of public money into the Equestrian Centre and the Rowing/Kayacking part of Penrith Lakes, plus other public works programs such as the Pacific Highway duplication, renovation of Warragamba Dam, Desalination plant etc,

why would they build yet ANOTHER stadium, to be used once a fortnight for half a year, like the SFS, Parramatta, Bluetongue etc?

You also ignore that the ARL was going to build and fund the Olympic Stadium, with the view for converting it into a massive 90-100 000 seater league ground. Then the Super League war, which YOU couldn't wait to join, drained all of their funds. Had pathetic clubs like the Reds not joined Traitor League, this wouldn't be a problem.

what he said. although the money for EA isn't in the bank yet, and the change of premier/treasurer doesn't look fantastic for us....

Plumplechook

Juniors
Jack Marx speaketh the truth. The whole Homebush olympic/park area is a depressing s**tho*le. Took my kids there to the MonsterTrucks show on the weekend (I know, I know - the things us dads do). The tickets were expensive, the traffic was abysmal, and once you get out there the fleecing really begins. Had to park miles from the venue in the designated carpark ($15.00- kaaching) and then line up for 30 mins in the pouring rain to catch a shuttle bus to Acer Arenea ($6 for the family - kaching). Once there had to line up again for another 20 mins (in the pouring rain - no shelter) to collect the tickets I'd booked on the internet. By the time we got inside the kids were hungry of course and had to spend more than $11 each on a burger and soft drink (on the basis that a captive audience will pay anything I guess - kaching). My experience going to games there is the same. The staff there always seem to be officious and nasty - they hate their jobs and want you to suffer for it. No wonder the crowds for games at ANZ are so low.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Olympic park was a MUST for the Olympic games as well as the NRL Grand Final and State of Origin (an 80,000 capacity stadium was needed in Sydney FFS) but the Idea of NRL teams playing their home games there is absurd, pathetic, greedy and irresponsible.

what he said. although the money for EA isn't in the bank yet, and the change of premier/treasurer doesn't look fantastic for us....
Nor for us, Iemma was a keen St George fan and put $8m into Kogarah, though we aren't sure if he signed the cheque! :crazy:

One huge glaring problem with Stadium Australia as I see it is the fact that the ground is able to reconfigure itself on its eastern + western wings but not the northern + southern wings. If that infrastructure had been put into place during its construction, I could see a lot of this debate diminishing.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Doesn't change the fact Sydney needs a 80,000 seater stadium and NRL doesn't! No way they would ever reconfigure it down to 35-40,000 as Sydney then loses its ability to host the big games.

Sydney RL clubs need to find a solution to this massive problem for themselves, whether it be SFS and better transport, Paramatta stadium being upgraded and 3 or 4 clubs playing there, or the building of a new 30,000 stadium somewhere. Only way of doing this is to mount a strong political campaign as a united front, sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Bigfella

Coach
And for somewhere supposedly so central, it is bloody hard to get to.

I can see it from the front of my house,which is next to a train line; but it takes 3 trains to get to it; or an hour and a half to walk to it; or an hour and a half to get there by combined transport ie bus / train ; bus/ walk; walk or tain / walk.

Taxis hate going there on busy nights.

Are you on smack?

The SFS is abysmal to get to. From anywhere west of it, it requires a train and a bus to get there, or at the very least a 5k walk which includes a fair sized hill.

ANZ might have its dramas, but getting there reasonably easily isn't one of them.

C'mon EA, you're never too old for a pub crawl mate. Plenty of places to wet ya whistle to and from the SFS.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Problem with Sydney is there are too many teams,too many stadiums and too many Football codes.