What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The All Things Darren Lockyer Thread.....

I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch Lockyer running I feel like I am witnessing a legend. I've never seen a player cover the ground like him before. Its so elegant and graceful. It actually is poetry in motion. It's the sweetest sight in Rugby League. I'd love it if someone could make up a compilation of Lockyer moments on You Tube. It would be great to some clips of him in full flight.

Red Bear

Referee
hmm, i prefer players such as brasher and minichello, lockyer undoubtedly was an excellent fullback. Brasher was the shiznits tho

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
From what I've seen, he's behind Bert, Fittler, Lewis and Fulton

Daley was injury prone, and faded in his elder years. Lamb was solid over a long career, never startling. Lyons was brilliant, yet too unpredictable for rep teams (but he carved up the poms in '90). Lockyer's in that class, reaqdy to move beyond.

I saw the end of Bozo's career, and coupled with earlier footage and what I've read, he\s got daylight ahead of Lockyer.

From what I've read, Vic Hey tops the lot.

As for Queenslands best ever, has anyone come close to Duncan Thompson yet?

Daley was still very good for the blues in 98-99, the raiders started to fade around this time but daley was still a class act imo. I still remember that freakish try he scored for the blues off a johns kick where he gathered it up in 1 arm and put it over the line all in the one motion. Awesome stuff.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
as i always say, you can't fairly compare players from different eras, especially if they are more then a decade apart. the game's different, speed, skills, strength, vision, they all can't be brought into consideration comparing players.

saying langlands was better than lockyer is not justifiable because who knows if langlands would make the same impression he did, if he played the game now, as he did back then, and vice versa.

I say, because i have never seen langlands play, that they were all great players, the best ones in their time. That's all the matters to me. In their time.

oh and I do not think brasher and mini were/are better fullbacks than lockyer. They play the game differently but I think if Lockyer was still playing fullback, mini would have been no where near the test no.1 jumper.

Charlie124

First Grade
Thank you, id never seen a "tongue in an asshole" displayed in text form before. I can now tick that off the list.

Inferno

Coach
Charlie124 said:
Thank you, id never seen a "tongue in an asshole" displayed in text form before. I can now tick that off the list.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Inglis and Peachey both glide around the park.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Oh great, another Lockyer thread.

The guys a great player, who has great skills, but for ffs this is as bad as Hudders super league/NRL comparisons

miccle

Bench
I'm only 22, so I never have definitive answers to these questions.. hell I can only really vivdly remember the last 12 or so years of rugby league, before that I was just too young.

So with that in mind, I have to say that Locky is right up there as the best fullback I've seen. But the thing is, there have been other players as good as him when it comes to areas like taking the high ball, defence etc.

I don't know if Locky will ever stand out as the best player in a position. I'm just 22 but I can think of others like Mini who have matched it with him. But Locky is still one of the best FOOTBALLERS that I have ever seen, and plenty of people older than me agree.

simon says

First Grade
I always find it strange that Brasher gets mentioned often as being one of the best ever......being a Tiger fan,I always thought that Garry Jack was by far a superior FB but never gets rated.

He did win the golden boot and played many tests/origin though.

Sir Biffo

Bench
miccle said:
I'm only 22, so I never have definitive answers to these questions.. hell I can only really vivdly remember the last 12 or so years of rugby league, before that I was just too young.

So with that in mind, I have to say that Locky is right up there as the best fullback I've seen. But the thing is, there have been other players as good as him when it comes to areas like taking the high ball, defence etc.

I don't know if Locky will ever stand out as the best player in a position. I'm just 22 but I can think of others like Mini who have matched it with him. But Locky is still one of the best FOOTBALLERS that I have ever seen, and plenty of people older than me agree.

That's a great call. Obviously his defence is still reasonably poor, but the bloke could still make his one on one tackles as a fullback (see De Vere back in 2003 in Origin). His kicking game is superb, and much more than Brasher ever had to offer, his passing game is one of the best ever and his line running is brilliant as well.

Lowdown

Juniors
The Sunshine State said:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I watch Lockyer running I feel like I am witnessing a legend. I've never seen a player cover the ground like him before. Its so elegant and graceful. It actually is poetry in motion. It's the sweetest sight in Rugby League. I'd love it if someone could make up a compilation of Lockyer moments on You Tube. It would be great to some clips of him in full flight.

Darren...is that you? [VOMMIT]

Raiders Plight

Juniors
mini and brasher lol

Lockyer added a whole nother dimension in attack for brisbane/qld/australia. mini still looks like a winger to me, he's just fast and strong. Brasher was solid and reliable but nothing flash.

Red Bear

Referee
No. He was named in the team of the 90's (which was a joke along with a few other selections in that side).

miccle

Bench
Locky's selection in the team of the 90's wasn't much of a joke selection imo. Contentious maybe, but no one can truly say he wasn't right up there with the best two or three.

And I wouldn't really be surprised if he is mentioned as an inclusion to the greatest Roos team if and when another is named.

How many tests has he played? Captained? Been man of the match? He has won Australia numerous games with a piece of solo brilliance at the end, and has been a fantastic leader and ambassador for the international game.

Brutus

Referee
The Sunshine State said:

piss off back to your union forum tool.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sunshine State said:
I'm sure there are plenty of gay websites that will make you feel the same way

Latest posts