What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The American National Rugby League`s "Road to the Rugby League World Cup" Season Kick

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
The American National Rugby League’s “Road to the Rugby League World Cup” Season Kicks Off

AMNRL announces a full schedule of international matches plus national expansion of Rugby League in the U.S.

The American National Rugby League (AMNRL), the premier rugby league in the U.S. and home of the World Cup qualifying USA Tomahawks, announced plans today for a number of exciting Rugby League events as part of its “Road to the Rugby League World Cup” including national expansion as well as plans for a Champions League Challenge and a US Rugby League Sevens Championship.

In response to the successful qualification of the USA Tomahawks to the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, the AMNRL has announced a number of key initiatives to help support its strategic plan to grow the sport of Rugby League in the United States. Domestically, the AMNRL will launch teams and competitions around the country in the East, Midwest, Southwest, West, and Pacific regions. This expansion will include programs developed to grow the sport at collegiate, high school and youth levels.

The schedule of international events for the 2012 season will kickoff with a repeat of the St. Patrick’s celebration between the Tomahawks and Wolfhounds of Ireland in March with the annual Donnybrook Cup. The Tomahawks will also face Tonga and Japan before a proposed matchup against fellow World Cup Pool D opponent, the Cook Islands. The final two international events will include a historic visit by the Melbourne Storm, a premier club from the Australian NRL, and a first ever two-game tour of France.

On the road to the Rugby League World Cup, the AMNRL is working with local sponsors and broadcast partners to present two annual world class events that are in the final planning stages. A Hawaiian Challenge – The Shaka Cup – will be a fierce head-to-head exhibition match to be held on the famous island of Oahu in Hawaii that the AMNRL hopes will pit the USA Tomahawks against a champion Australian NRL club. A number of Australian NRL clubs have expressed serious interest in the opportunity, including actor Russell Crowe’s South Sydney Rabbitohs. Crowe’s Rabbitohs last visited the USA for the Australia Day Challenge match in Florida in 2008 in a similar event that featured a week-long training camp followed by an exhibition match with Super League Europe Champions, the Leeds Rhino’s.

“Following Russell’s (Crowe) vision for a Champions League tournament and introducing world class rugby into the United States, we’re striving to provide American rugby fans two great events to kick-off our plans as we gear up for the RLIF World Cup in 2013,” said AMNRL president David Niu. “The Shaka Cup will be a great match-up in an exotic venue, with the Tomahawks competing head-to-head against a top professional Rugby League club.”

The second and larger event being developed by the AMNRL is the U.S. Sevens Cup, featuring 16 international Rugby League Sevens teams playing 44 games over a 2-day period for prize money. The Rugby League Sevens U.S. Championship will bring the action and excitement of Rugby League Sevens to America with teams competing for the trophy and the title of Rugby League’s top Sevens team. Niu continued, “We feel there is a void for the short form game of Rugby League internationally and see Hawaii as an ideal location to interest top-level teams to participate and for corporate partners to support.”

Rugby League is the version of Rugby most similar to American football, has been gaining in popularity in the United States and is already the number one sport in many countries. Rugby League continues to make huge inroads all over the globe, and the 2013 RLIF World Cup qualifying matches attest to that.

“The end of 2011 was filled with exciting and competitive Rugby League action involving seven nations which has showcased the huge progress being made in international Rugby League worldwide,” said Richard Lewis, Chairman of the United Kingdom’s Rugby League governing body. “As we build towards the international event, the excitement level is on the rise. We believe that we have fourteen diverse and competitive teams that will make the 2013 World Cup truly memorable with each nation adding color and vibrancy that will put Rugby League in the global spotlight.”

According to Niu, “Final decisions regarding the two Hawaii tournaments are subject to securing a broadcast partner, an effort that will begin immediately now that plans are in place.” The National Rugby League Grand Final and State of Origin Series from Australia were aired live on Fox Soccer Channel and Fox Soccer Plus in 2011. Given the exciting response to these top level rugby events, plans are in development for the full NRL 2012 season, State of Origin Series, and NRL Playoffs and Grand Final to air on Fox platforms nationally in the new year.

For additional information, please visit www.AMNRL.com.

About American National Rugby League

The American National Rugby League (AMNRL) is the governing body for the development of the sport of Rugby League in the United States, as sanctioned by the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF). In existence since 1998, the AMNRL is the major Rugby League competition in the United States.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/idUS176769+04-Jan-2012+BW20120104

adamkungl

Immortal
Some very interesting stuff there if it comes to fruition.

Specifically
plans are in development for the full NRL 2012 season, State of Origin Series, and NRL Playoffs and Grand Final to air on Fox platforms nationally in the new year.

Evil Homer

Staff member
The American National Rugby League (AMNRL), the premier rugby league in the U.S. and home of the World Cup qualifying USA Tomahawks
Stopped reading after that. To be honest I'm sick of the bullshit from this organization. If they deliver any of the things that they have promised without f**king them up in some way, then I'll give them credit. Until then, I couldn't care less. We've heard it all before.

In response to the successful qualification of the USA Tomahawks to the 2013 Rugby League World Cup, the AMNRL has announced a number of key initiatives to help support its strategic plan to grow the sport of Rugby League in the United States. Domestically, the AMNRL will launch teams and competitions around the country in the East, Midwest, Southwest, West, and Pacific regions. This expansion will include programs developed to grow the sport at collegiate, high school and youth levels.

The schedule of international events for the 2012 season will kickoff with a repeat of the St. Patrick’s celebration between the Tomahawks and Wolfhounds of Ireland in March with the annual Donnybrook Cup. The Tomahawks will also face Tonga and Japan before a proposed matchup against fellow World Cup Pool D opponent, the Cook Islands. The final two international events will include a historic visit by the Melbourne Storm, a premier club from the Australian NRL, and a first ever two-game tour of France.

On the road to the Rugby League World Cup, the AMNRL is working with local sponsors and broadcast partners to present two annual world class events that are in the final planning stages. A Hawaiian Challenge – The Shaka Cup – will be a fierce head-to-head exhibition match to be held on the famous island of Oahu in Hawaii that the AMNRL hopes will pit the USA Tomahawks against a champion Australian NRL club. A number of Australian NRL clubs have expressed serious interest in the opportunity, including actor Russell Crowe’s South Sydney Rabbitohs. Crowe’s Rabbitohs last visited the USA for the Australia Day Challenge match in Florida in 2008 in a similar event that featured a week-long training camp followed by an exhibition match with Super League Europe Champions, the Leeds Rhino’s.

Mark this list down. We'll see how much actually happens.

If they want to get an NRL side over there maybe they need to talk to Spinner and co......

billy2

Juniors
They always shoot for the stars and only deliver the moon, but i'll be more than happy if a few of those things come off.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Stopped reading after that. To be honest I'm sick of the bullshit from this organization. If they deliver any of the things that they have promised without f**king them up in some way, then I'll give them credit. Until then, I couldn't care less. We've heard it all before.

Nothing wrong with a organisation promoting themselves. I don't expect to to put on their press releases "The second best Rugby League competition in the US".

Wouldn't the 2013 season be the one leading up to the WC?

Domestically yes, Internationally no.

league13

Juniors
icon1.gif
Re: The American National Rugby League`s "Road to the Rugby League World Cup" Season

Hit the nail on the head Adam.If it comes to fruition.Seem to have heard this kind of nonsense before.

possible teams and competitions
East Conference
Atlanta Legion
Aston Bulls
Bucks County Sharks
CT Wildcats
NY Knights
NY Raiders
NOVA Eagles
Midwest Conference
Chicago Stockyarders
Iowa City Crash
Western Storm
West Conference
Los Angeles
Sacramento Stallions
San Francisco
Southwest Conference
Colorado Blizzard
Las Vegas Warriors
Utah Avalanche
Pacific Conference
4 Hawaiian teams????

looks like there is plenty planned for Hawaii as has been mentioned before the AMNRL always come up with these big plans but the job only gets half done good luck to them if it all happens.

yakstorm

First Grade

Specifically

The AMNRL are not involved in the rights negotiations for the broadcast of the NRL competition in the USA, that would be done by IMG and the NRL, so that proposal is possibly the most likely to come off.

judah

Juniors
Apparently Canada weren't up to their standard for them to play us in 2012. Can anybody remember who won the last game played between us?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Hey judah, if you don't mind, could you tell us how you got into RL if you're from Canada and how you found LU?

Cheers mate. (sorry if I don't reply straight away, it's early hours here)

judah

Juniors
Because it's the greatest game of all of course! Or maybe I'm from a more prominent rugby league playing nation and migrated to Canada a few years ago.

I started looking at the forum when I was looking into bringing rugby league to Canada. I'm not sure why I never posted anything prior to now, I guess I have just concentrated on what we are doing at CRL.

deluded pom?

Coach
Seeing as the Yanks have never travelled to Japan what is the point of them playing Japan in America again? The Japanese only have one team, it will be a hiding for the Japs after a long journey. A waste of time for and money both teams.

billy2

Juniors
The Japanese travel to Australia every year for a few games, or have every year up till now.

If they are going to travel to the US instead this year, that is a positive thing.

judah

Juniors
To suggest that we are not up to their standard and then announce that they are playing Japan is a little insulting. No disrespect to Japan intended, just a little mystified.

Evil Homer

Staff member
To suggest that we are not up to their standard and then announce that they are playing Japan is a little insulting. No disrespect to Japan intended, just a little mystified.
Given their experience last year, I'm surprised Canada wanted to play USA again.