What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The AMNRL Critique of 2010

Progress

Juniors
Nearly 13 years of the AMNRL have past, so where does the league stand and what is its future?

With 11 teams, representing 7 different states along the eastern seaboard and a somewhat active international side currently competing against other sub par internationals (Jamaica & Canada); in addition to a rumored expansion, the AMNRL has seen its ups and downs over the years.

The league has been plagued by lack of talent, both from a leadership and player perspective. A select few clubs stand out from the rest (Jacksonville, Philadelphia, New Haven & New York Knights) while others try to catch their breath, but sadly never do (Northern Raiders of New York).

The premiere clubs in the league recognize that to be successful in the AMRL you must do it yourself, as the AMNRL lacks the proper provisions. Sponsors, players, coaching/training/medial staff, board members, proper training/game day facilities, community involvement, advertisement, web presence, merchandise and much more goes into a successful club…not an easy feat!

The sport of rugby league in America is merely a tiny little spec on the sporting scene. More so, the sport of rugby in general (Union & 7’s) is a 3rd level sport with the likes of soccer and lacrosse being 2nd level and football, basketball, baseball being top tier. Plus, 2nd and top tier sports offer college scholarships and big paydays if you turn professional. In the vast majority of colleges and universities, the sport of rugby does not.

Think about it…there are only a few hundred people who currently play the game of rugby league in America with a population of over 310 Million. If the game was introduced to younger generations, you might be able to increase this number to a couple of thousand. And then, you would have highly skilled American born talent ready to compete at a high level. This also is not an easy feat, but it all has to start somewhere.

You see, to be successful in growing rugby league or any sport for that matter in the United States you must introduce the game at a much younger level. Most players do not know what the sport of rugby is until they are roughly 18 and are in college or a university. To make it even more difficult for the sport, rugby league is not played at the collegiate level, so you have 21 year old + union players jumping into play league for the first time. To make matters worse, 7’s dominates league in the US. It’s played during the same season with some of the best talent in America. That’s a huge problem that has yet to been solved.

Bringing in players from oversees, ex-professionals, ex-football players, celebrity endorsements and so on will do very little for the future of rugby league in America. That will be needed much later down the road, once the roots have been established.

The AMNRL, unfortunately, is still acting like an infant that’s 13 years old and has yet to learn how to use the toilet. Now that being noted, there have been some decent strides along the way or the league would not be operating today. Overall, it can be done better.

With attendance at most matches being that less of 20 people to 200 to 1,500, everyone can see that this is not a popular sport in America. Clubs within the AMNRL that are not on the same page as some of the premiere clubs need to step up their game or create their own division and build up a program to then reapply to enter in the AMNRL once finances, players, staff and so on is secured.

Continue to go down the same path by not introducing this great sport to America’s youth, rugby league in America will never reach its true greatness.

Recommendation:

- AMNRL revamps its vision and goals
- Clubs must show the following to enter into the AMNRL competition:
o Financials
o Player Pool
o Youth Program
o Proper Facilities
o Board of Directors
o Coach/Training/Medical Staff
o Referee Program
o Import Program
- Divisional leagues to be created for those clubs who are yet to meet the AMNRL selection criteria
- Divisional clubs must show the following to compete:
o Financials
o Player Pool
o Youth Program
o Board of Directors
o Coaching Staff
o Referee Program

The AMNRL has the potential to do great things, but it will take those who are committed to see the game grow and not just a select few.

One final thought…What can you do to help this great sport grow, flourish and succeed?

Get involved, as it’s more than just posting on forums. Throw your hat in and contact the leaders of the AMNRL today.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Rampart66

Juniors
Great Post and harsh look at the reality.

For the AMNRL to get to the next level, then there must be an infusion of cash. Basically, the league and clubs need investors or individual ownership groups (or an Australian celebrity with rugby league ties). Granted, it doesn't take much to operate a team when compared to the top tier sports, but when the players and coaches are footing most of the bill, it undermines any progress that you can make.

The main sources of revenue for any club comes from the following:

1. Sponsorships
2. Donations/Fundraisers
3. Merchandise Sales
4. Ticket Sales

Merchandise sales happen only if you are able to create a demand for the products. Quality, Attractive products help, but the team has to be part of the civic mindset. A good logo with city ties doesn't hurt.

Ticket sales are great but only work if you have a proper venue that allows you sell tickets. The venue situation may be the largest problems that clubs face. You're not going to have a 10,000 seat stadium fall into you lap without jumping through hoops and paying through the nose for it. I know many high school stadiums will charge $10,000 per season (and that's IF they're even willing to talk to you). You have to spend money to make money, but what club can shell out $10,000 and expect to make that up through the above revenue streams?

I'm really on the fence about rugby as a youth sport. It has such a stigmatism in the United States as being a very violent sport with a lot of injuries, that I feel that it would be a tough sell. I'm sure that there would be many insurance issues to deal with, but I'd still like to see if anyone in the States has tried this. In Pittsburgh, there are some high school level youth teams for union, but you may be thinking about a younger group. I know Eagletag may always be an option as an introduction. What do you think the minimum age should be for a youth program and should there be any rules variations?

pennpool

Juniors
you do all realise on here that the amnrl is an amature competition, whilst its the grass roots for league in america, it is a million miles away from being a professional or even semi professional comp.

its all good and well telling people what they need to do, but guess what, theres plenty here that already know. its how to get the funds, facilities and so on that is the issue.

roopy

Referee
Things i'd like to see include NRL and ESL games on American TV - which is very achievable, because high quality broadcasts of both comps are basically free for anyone who wishes to use them, and there are more and more hours to fill with the explosion of TV channells.

I'd like to see many more American players take an opportunity to play in either Aus, UK or France.

I'd like to see paid development officers in New England and Jacksonville, paid for by a decent sponser.

I'd like to see at least a few semi pro players per side being part of the criteria for inclusion in the league from about 2012 - even if it's just a few thousand for a few players in the first year.

I'd like to see a regular internet broadcast of games from next season. We have seen Jacksonville do game broadcasts, and we have seen the quality of the production improve fairly rapidly. I'd like to see all sides working on getting games on the net, and i'd like to see the quality improve to near broadcast quality as soon as possible - and i think we saw that is possible during the Atlantic Cup. The more vision on the net, the more fans will sign up.

I'd like to see some University based sides play each other next year, and i'd like to see a team in the next student world cup.

Things i'd like to see include NRL and ESL games on American TV - which is very achievable, because high quality broadcasts of both comps are basically free for anyone who wishes to use them, and there are more and more hours to fill with the explosion of TV channells.

I'd like to see many more American players take an opportunity to play in either Aus, UK or France.

I'd like to see paid development officers in New England and Jacksonville, paid for by a decent sponser.

I'd like to see at least a few semi pro players per side being part of the criteria for inclusion in the league from about 2012 - even if it's just a few thousand for a few players in the first year.

I'd like to see a regular internet broadcast of games from next season. We have seen Jacksonville do game broadcasts, and we have seen the quality of the production improve fairly rapidly. I'd like to see all sides working on getting games on the net, and i'd like to see the quality improve to near broadcast quality as soon as possible - and i think we saw that is possible during the Atlantic Cup. The more vision on the net, the more fans will sign up.

I'd like to see some University based sides play each other next year, and i'd like to see a team in the next student world cup.
yes all good points and all are very achievable, what is going on with the amnrl next year? who is leading the way? first we hear all of this news on expansion and now this. what is going on?

deal.with.it

Juniors
Does anyone (spinner) know what the talk is at the moment all about? If you follow niu or vass on twitter, you would have noticed that there is apparently a lot of backstabbing and the like behind the scenes.

clarency

Juniors
Nui did a lot for rugby league in the beginning but (as has been said many'a'times) really needs to accept others' help, or merely step aside for more qualified people to take over.

IMO creating more teams should not be the goal here. It should be creating divisions, creating a new league for lower age groups. And yes there is the stigma of it being a violent sport, which is why touch football, or eagle/oztag make easy substitutes. Benji Marshall was an Australian touch footballer before he began at the tigers.

On top of that the league really needs to increase the amount of rounds played... what is it? 4... 6 rounds a year? Need more than that.

I can understand the low number of games is due to travel costs and so forth but that in itself is a problem. NRL and ESL both began their leagues with teams all closely compacted to get the league up and running. And spread later. Why did AMNRL spread first before being financially viable?

Should never have happened...

Someone please please PLEASE, give David Nui this link.
http://www.esportsdeskpro.com/?AffiliateCode=B1623A5A-A8FA-40B9-892D-419FCAB2287A

E.G. of their stuff:
http://www.theaihl.com/leagues/homeAIHL.cfm?clientid=3856&leagueid=11464

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
David Niu accepts alot of help.

The biggest fact over here - there is NO ONE better qualified to lead or has the games interest at heart. This is not a glamorous job.

Fact - there is no one better to lead. If John Quayle was over here I am sure he would be happy to let him do it.

Anyone who is over here with half a brain and the games best interests at heart knows this. Fact.

clarency

Juniors
I'm gunu guess you're buddies with Nui? Everything you just said was pure opinion (and they were ridiculous claims at that, no offence to Nui) presented as fact.

I can't name names but in a nation of 200+million people I'm fairly certain there will be hundreds if not thousands of people that a fully capable of running the league, and could probably do so with more efficiency than Nui.

http://www.amnrl.com/

That "Whilst the site is under construction: Facebook at David Niu or We Are Rugby" has been there for nearly a year now. I also think I speak on behalf of a great deal of international rugby league fans when I say I'm soooo tired of being disappointed by grand announcements only to have them fall short. It's the single most easiest way to lose faith of the people. Nui would be wise to learn from his mistakes.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
Opinion? I suppose yes. Informed opinion. Yes.

200 million people. You go find someone to do all this for free.

Footyhead2

Juniors
Or worse - do it and pay for a lot of it yourself as I understand Nui has had to do.

I am not a player, but a female fan who has attended a couple of games in the DC area. My husband is more into it than me, but once I got to know the rules and the tactics I also found the close games that we watched exciting. But I do know that in business a strong entrepreneur can get a company started, but it will rarely progress to the next stage based only on the strength of that entrepreneur's determination and vision. It needs a management team, or board of directors or someone else with a different set of skills to either co-lead or take over. Is this the case with the AMNRL? The question then comes back to - where's the money in this to attract such a person?

VictoryFC

Bench
Agree that if you don't somehow get kids playing you will forever be wasting your time.

Nail, head. This is the most important aspect of sports development, but is constantly overlooked. Lifelong fans are made (in 95% of cases) through participation at an early age. I have no scientific evidence to back that claim, but I fear I'm not wrong. For instance, people put way too much emphasis on television coverage; a foreign sport is not going to be helped in any great way by television coverage if no one is playing the game. Very few people become fans of sports in this fashion.

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Not that I know of but then again the AMNRL seem very insular and don't appear to actively seek out help from anywhere else, the RLIF/RLEF included.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

So what you are saying is, the RLIF/RLEF and all other nation based feds are in the clear because some want to do it all themselves?

I have the Kangaroos v USA game on video, I've watched it many many times. At the end Dave Nui states that the game will be using a big name (arnold schwarzenegger) in their after schools program, where has this gone?

I know it changed a few seasons later with the Rock coming in, but has RL been coached at all during that time to these kids?

It's been 7 years I think.

Imagine paying 15 DO's to take the game to the youth back in 2003, how far would their youth comps be now?

Not having a dig (well I am a bit), whats happening at the youth level?

pennpool

Juniors
one thing is for sure. the way this thing is being played out on twitter is extremely unprofessional and damn right pathetic. its not making anyone look good.

adamkungl

Immortal
There absolutely needs to be some youth comps set up, at least in the strongest AMNRL areas, jacksonville, NY, etc