What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters

Crusher

Coach
Timmah said:
What merit? Splitting a final series in half? There are no more or less finals matches played than the current system. Of the final eight, you'll only be better than x amount of teams from your own division before meeting the best of the other division.

Furthermore, Of the 16 sides, your side could finish 5th overall, but still miss the final series because a team who scored less competition points came 4th in the other division.

It ain't broke, don't need fixin.

It works very well in US sports but.....Timmah has spoken.

Thread ends....

Mr Saab

Referee
There is no fair system when there are 16 teams in the comp.
Either get rid of 4 teams and play each other twice...or bring in 4-6 new teams and play each other once.
Both not happening.

Crusher

Coach
Timmah said:
Ummm, your system and the current one do the exact same thing. Winner 1 plays the first week, if they win, they go to Week 3, if they lose, they're gone. I fail to see in either system where a second chance isn't given.

It made sense when I heard it a few years back so maybe i've missed something. I'll just down a VB and see if it comes back to me:crazy:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
:lol:

I'm 99.98% sure that emoticon had nothing to do with your post, and you just felt like using it LOL.

:crazy: lol.

Crusher

Coach
Timmah said:
:lol:

I'm 99.98% sure that emoticon had nothing to do with your post, and you just felt like using it LOL.

:crazy: lol.

:crazy: ](*,) :sto:

It's the Bi-Polar coming out in me

Stuzmeister

Juniors
I don't think the final series needs fixing at all. I mean yes there is that problem with the second chance thing but if you look at the super 14 finals. You make the top 4 lose the first final and you're out. There is no such thing as a perfect finals series. The one we've got is near enough.

Crusher

Coach
vippo19 said:
Every year people complain about the finals system. I like the McIntyre system. I think its good.

This is not a complaints thread by any means. It is merely looking for opinions on alternatives. This actual system was one I have seen bandied about previously which I personally think is good. It doesn;t mean I am complaining about the current system nor am I expecting others to agree with it.

It is infact 12 of the 15 current clubs who have recently expressed their desire to change the system.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
12 of 15 wanted change??

I'm sure it was 14 out of 15 clubs last season who agreed to the McIntyre yet again for this year.

Crusher

Coach
Timmah said:
12 of 15 wanted change??

I'm sure it was 14 out of 15 clubs last season who agreed to the McIntyre yet again for this year.

You may recall from the last meeting of club chairmans the compromise reached was to introduce region based games in Wk 3 as a result of 12 of 15 clubs complaining about the current system.

I'll see if I can dig up the News Ltd article. Yes I think nearly all clubs agreed but the other option of the Mcintyre '6 sytem' which was stupid with a 15 team comp

below is Warren Ryans systemn which also looks OK
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/minor-premiers-get-carrot-and-lowest-seeds-the-stick/2005/09/06/1125772525761.html

The_Savage_1

Juniors
innsaneink said:
So youre proposing the two initial divions as:

1st
3rd
5th
7th
9th
11th
13th
15th

and

2nd
4th
6th
8th
10th
12th
14th
16th

9th does it tougher than 8th

you would do...

TOTAL 68

and

TOTAL 68

rather than the totals being 64 and 72

The_Savage_1

Juniors
The_Savage_1 said:
you would do...

TOTAL 68

and

TOTAL 68

rather than the totals being 64 and 72

or even better maybe...

and

Was just looking on NRL.COM and saw that this weeks poll is "do you think the Mc Intyre finals system is the best way of deciding the premiers"

currentley 48% have voted YES and 52% voted NO.

What do you think is the best way of deciding the premiers?

Sir Biffo

Bench
For a 15 team (currently) competition, there is no way there deserves to be a top 8. Even when we have 16 teams, the finals system rewards mediocrity when half the teams make it in!

A 5 or 6 team finals system would be much better, although I do like some suggestions of having a Championship style setup whereby the team who takes what we now know as the minor premiership take out the Championship, and then the top 6 or 8 teams or whatever get to play off for a different title.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The McIntryre system is ordinary.

There are 3 major problems:

1) This Friday's 4v5 match between the Knights and Manly is probably irrelevant as they'll both be playing next week.

2) An extension on the first point, there is always the possiblity that the winner of the 4v5 match will end up playing the tougher opponent the following week. Some reward.

3) Lopsided matches, especially 1v8 where 8 has never beaten 1. The AFL system is much better as you have 4 even matches which reflect ladder position, ie. the top 4 get a guaranteed second chance whereas for the rest its loser goes home.

The best way of deciding the Premiers would be to call the Minor Premiers the premiers, like they do in the English premier league. However that would make no money and would result in attrocious crowd figures for those who cant make the 8 by mid-season.

But that aside i believe the NRL should adopt the AFL system. How good would it be to see:

Strom v Knights
Dogs v broncos
Manly v Eels
Dragons v Raiders

this week. I believe they are much more enticing contests with 2 blockbusters bewteen the top sides and two knock-out matches.

Y2Eel

First Grade
how did the top 5 finals work?

1 gets first week off while 2v3 4v5 winner 2v3 play team 1 loser plays winner of 4v5...

and then winner of 1v2/3 goes to gf while loser plays the winner of the other game?

Y2Eel said:
how did the top 5 finals work?

1 gets first week off while 2v3 4v5 winner 2v3 play team 1 loser plays winner of 4v5...

and then winner of 1v2/3 goes to gf while loser plays the winner of the other game?
hmm

Latest posts