What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The annual finals system debate thread

Which System ARL 95/96 or McIntyre

• ARL 95/96 which the AFL use now

Votes: 93 59.6%
  • McIntyre System

Votes: 63 40.4%

• Total voters
Why is it so massively popular in almost every country around the world if it's "a backwards f*cking joke which is boring and sh1t"?

I've never said the english system is 'better' (although I personally prefer it), but you just fly off the handle sending abusive posts to anyone you think is disagreeing with you.

"All soccer fans hate yanks". "Most soccer neaderthals bag other sports". "Soccer has never evolved". Where do you get all this stereotyped nonsense from?

And if the playoff system is so amazing why did no-one turn up for the manly and melb first round games, whilst first past the post sports can pack their stadiums every week?

Why is Britney Spears and Lady GAga so massively popular around the world? Are you geniused broseph? Popularity isn't a measure of anything.

The reason soccer is so popular is because of British imperialism and cultural brainwashing.

My stereotyped nonsense comes from being born and raised in Europe. I know exactly what type of people soccer fans are. I wouldn't piss on them if most were on fire. For the most part they're bigoted, ignorant, violent racists. Everything that's wrong with the human race is synonymous with soccer fans. You can't go to a game of soccer without being racially abused in England, and we're ahead of the rest of Europe, where they make monkey chants and throw bananas at blokes

GEt it right. The finals system is popular world wide. Soccer is the only sport that bucks the trend and only because soccer refuses to accept when other sports have it right. It's the same reason they still don't have video refs. Soccer in effect refuses to evolve, because it's never needed to. When your sport dominates the world what's the point in messing with it, after all?

Anyway, I think its a cultural thing. People in Australia or America wouldn't accept first past the post and the EPL fans wouldn't accept playoffs to decide the champions. Both systems have their merits.

And yet, EPL fans accept play offs and finals in the biggest soccer comps in the world. The EPL system has no merits, none what so ever.

i dont watch much soccer unless it's an international competition, but i need to correct you on a couple of things.

the one stage double round-robin system is not just an EPL system. It is the league system in most of the major soccer leagues in europe. it's not backwards. it's just one type of model and how the system operates. for it to work, every team needs to play each other the same number of times with an equal home & away advantage. it rewards consistency right through the season and as such, every game is important.

It's backwards. It's absolute crap and even the managers know it. Keegan said the PremierLeague is the best, most boring competition in sport. He was right on the mark.

All the best soccer competitions in the world use pools and finals. That's a fact.

the reasoning that the NRL or AFL system is unfair is because theyve essentially just poorly evolved from the european league system. in the case of the NRL, the regular season is run on virtually the same premise. It has a 6 month-long 24 games per club round robin tournament which abruptly ends 6 games per club short of a full double round robin, essentially meaning a team will play 9 teams twice and 6 only once. yet, all teams are compared to each other in a single table for qualification to finals purposes. now apart from the financial benefits of more finals, this perception of inequity in the schedule is another reason for promoting half the comp into the finals. but whats the freakin point of scheduling 6 months of qualifying football to determine the deserving finals teams that essentially means squat when half the comp qualifies and a stellar 4 week run ultimately decides the premiership? yes, obviously its all financial, but competition-wise, it's a bit of a joke and the argument is average teams are still qualifying for finals after a long qualifying period and season-long inconsistent teams are having the chance to usurp the consistently good ones on one day. this is bullshit.

Then make it most consistent. I have no problem with improving the system, my problem is with soccer worshipping bellends who want to do away with a finals system all together, the people who want to drag us into the dark ages of sport.

if the NRL are going to persist with a finals system to determine the premiers - which it obvioulsy will, it needs to devise and implement a regular season system which determines the good teams more effectively and fairly and so promotes less of them into the finals. instead, everything is catered for financial incentive & product for News Ltd.

Are you trying to suggest that the best teams weren't decided? Who didn't deserve their place and who did, according to you? From where I'm sat the best teams made the finals, the teams that had shit seasons didn't.

the NFL have it right with a short qualifying season to determine post season participants as well as promoting less than half of teams to their finals - 12 of 32. in the case of the MLB (baseball), they have a much longer qualifying season but only promote a quarter of teams - 8 of 30. this may seem few, but after clubs play 162 games to determine those that deserve it, it is right that a select few advance. if they promote more, then what's the point of the 162 games per team to determine how good they are?

And I'm sure we'll move to less than half when new teams are entered into the competition.

and re salary caps in soccer, etc. that is extremely difficult to implement competition-wise because there are several other competitions that might not implement it. If the English FA or premier league do it, their top players will then go to Spain, or Italy and greatly devalue their own league.

Not really, how would the League be greatly devalued? The League would have genuine competition and plenty of world class players, still. The idea that all the good players will f**k off is farcical. Just do what Rugby do, only players based in domestic competitions can represent the national team.

As it happens without the cap what you're warning of already happens. The best players are by and large snapped up by the PL.

it also has repercussions on the promotion/relegation system as caps in different divisions will also be different. the whole premise of european league systems is that the local park team can one-day find their way into the major league. what about the financial incentives on offer for winning competitions, and the excess money some clubs will end up sitting on if they cant spend it on players. this is hardly the case in rugby league with only two major leagues in the world on different sides of the globe, and relatively, deals in peanuts.

What promotion relegation system? There is none, it's a revolving door when the teams promoted are relegated the next season, almost always.

English soccer has an excess of Leagues, most of them can f**k off.

It just highlights once again how badly put together and thought through soccer is. Got about 20 professional comps in Britain alone.

Merge the top 3, implement an NFL style system and add a draft and a cap. Or at the very least add a draft and a play-off system. Give teams an actual chance to win something.

You can say whatever you want about this that and the other, the fact is the EPL is outright boring predictable and about as one sided as a 100m race with Usain Bolt.

The Americans show how its done. Soccer is the worst model ever, and only successful because of British imperialism. As a business model its LOL

No. You are wrong to disagree with this guy. The English Premier League is a disgrace of a competition because it lacks the very thing that makes a competition a competition....and that is..........duh duh.......COMPETITION!
He very well made this point. No-one turned up to the first week of finals because our sport is not as popular. But if you use any logic you will realise that, as he pointed out, when the same teams win every year...where is the competition?
EPL sucks.

Exactly right. EPL fans will never accept it but if they had a competition as fierce and competitive as the NRL they'd be over the moon.

If the NRL was dominated by 2 teams and nobody else was in with a shot we'd be dirty on the competition and it would hinder the growth and popularity of the game massively.

People look to soccer and see it's popularity and think they must be doing something right. Like that Matt halfwit above.

The EPL is a joke and everyone but soccer worshipers can see it.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I also think it's odd that the argument the best team on the day should go further, a losing team can still make the grand final. Self-defeating argument.

Butters

Bench
How about if you lose a final you're eliminated? That'd get rid of the farce of 6th place getting stomped by 30 in week one and still progressing.