What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Battle for the Western Corridor NRL vs AFL

Bro Bear

Juniors
Yes, and not one team representing the North Shore and Central Coast. We have juniors, sponsors (with more on the way) and a stadium where half the current Sydney team want to play at - why they know it is exposure on TV,and a crowd that wants rugby league.

Brutus

Referee
AFL is taking over Henson Park (there are flogball posts there)

We need to do something quickly.

Bring back the Jets/Bluebags.

Goddo

Bench
Ignoring the fear mongering though, it would be good for the NRL or a club to secure a large piece of land with lots of infrastructure and shaft the fumblers in that high growth part of Brisbane.

The real fight with AFL has nothing to do with clubs dotting maps, but its all about securing juniors, fans and infrastructure. We have to look at expansion clearly with a view to improving Rugby League and the NRL from what it is now.

The Queensland Cup clubs badly need another NRL club to help support them, and the grass roots of the game below the QCup. I also think Brisbane needs another NRL 25-30k football stadium.

simostorm

Bench
We need another competition for all the bids, there's enough of them for another comp.. we could call it.. SuperComp.

BuffaloRules

Coach
We need another competition for all the bids, there's enough of them for another comp.. we could call it.. SuperComp.

We could have a reality type TV show for the Bids...

Put them through challenges like "who can be the most creative when fudging crowd numbers " and "who can do the most fear mongering about the threat from AFL to their area"...

Every week one bid gets voted off by the IC....

franklin2323

Immortal
WC/Ipswich will have a regional identity. Brisbane will just be another Brisbane.

I would be like the Knights playing at the SFS and being called Newcastle. If that's the Case the Bombers should be higher in the pecking order until, Atleast until Ipswich gets a stadium

Goddo

Bench
I would be like the Knights playing at the SFS and being called Newcastle. If that's the Case the Bombers should be higher in the pecking order until, Atleast until Ipswich gets a stadium

well, more like Cronulla or Penrith playing at ANZ.

It will be a new team, and will have to have its stadium built, and develop its infrastructure. That can't happen over night. Its a problem PNG and Central Queensland also have. At least with Ipswich-Logan its managable.

You are expecting the Queensland Government to put the cart before the horse - no government will build a stadium for a club that doesn't yet exist at the top level. You have to guarentee them a licence before they will spend a cent. The same thing happened with Gold Coast in RL and AFL.

It won't be an issue for the IC - what will be is what do they want the NRL to look like in Queensland? The Bombers and Jets offer two different ways forward for the game, and its up to the games leaders to work out which is best.

BDGS

Bench

Put them through challenges like "who can be the most creative when fudging crowd numbers " and "who can do the most fear mongering about the threat from AFL to their area"...

The AFL already did that and the GC Suns won.

franklin2323

Immortal
Isn't Sunshine Coast getting a new stadium built?? Gold Coast at least had Carra. It wouldn't be a problem if Ipswich had a field in the area & just used Suncorp for the bigger games.

Goddo

Bench
Isn't Sunshine Coast getting a new stadium built?? Gold Coast at least had Carra. It wouldn't be a problem if Ipswich had a field in the area & just used Suncorp for the bigger games.
No, Sunshine Coast is not getting a new stadium.

The council has put asside a huge block of land to build an up to 40k stadium, a leagues club and all the training facilities, but no money has been put in and they recognise its a +10 year project.

You also don't understand the Western Coridor bid - Its Toowoomba, Ipswich-Logan, based in Springfield. They plan on building their training facilities at Springfield before they enter the NRL, as it should only take roughly 2 years to build.

The stadium is a 10 year prospect:
- it takes a lot of time and money to design and build
- Springfield NRL Stadium will have to wait for Stadiums Queensland to finish the new Townsville Stadium (which is their next project), and the Gold Coast commonwealth games commitment.

In the meanwhile, they will use Suncorp, which is 22.5km from Springfield.

(for Comparison,

Redfern to ANZ Stadium is 13kms,
Penrith to Parramatta is 30.5kms,
Manly to Parramatta is 33.5kms,
Campbelltown to Balmain is 48.5kms,
Gosford to North Sydney is 65kms,
Springfield to Gold Coast is 80kms,
Brisbane to Gold Coast is 82.5kms,
Gosford to Newcastle is 83kms
)

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
No, Sunshine Coast is not getting a new stadium.

The council has put asside a huge block of land to build an up to 40k stadium, a leagues club and all the training facilities, but no money has been put in and they recognise its a +10 year project.

You also don't understand the Western Coridor bid - Its Toowoomba, Ipswich-Logan, based in Springfield. They plan on building their training facilities at Springfield before they enter the NRL, as it should only take roughly 2 years to build.

The stadium is a 10 year prospect:
- it takes a lot of time and money to design and build
- Springfield NRL Stadium will have to wait for Stadiums Queensland to finish the new Townsville Stadium (which is their next project), and the Gold Coast commonwealth games commitment.

In the meanwhile, they will use Suncorp, which is 22.5km from Springfield.

(for Comparison,

Redfern to ANZ Stadium is 13kms,
Penrith to Parramatta is 30.5kms,
Manly to Parramatta is 33.5kms,
Campbelltown to Balmain is 48.5kms,
Gosford to North Sydney is 65kms,
Springfield to Gold Coast is 80kms,
Brisbane to Gold Coast is 82.5kms,
Gosford to Newcastle is 83kms
)

Oh. Ok, I thought the Sunshine Coast staduim was a go ahead. I want Perth in the rest I have no preference for. I keep hearing the reason for another SEQLD is to use Suncorp more. If that team isn't a Brisbane team eventually it will get used no more then now.

Ipswich would be good to get another area represented. I am just not sure if it is advanced enough to the other bids yet. I would only have it over PNG and CQLD

Goddo

Bench
Oh. Ok, I thought the Sunshine Coast staduim was a go ahead. I want Perth in the rest I have no preference for. I keep hearing the reason for another SEQLD is to use Suncorp more. If that team isn't a Brisbane team eventually it will get used no more then now.
Well, there is a case that Suncorp can't handle any more teams. Even if the number of +25k games is increased, I don't know if it can handle 2 full time NRL sides, an A League side, a Super Rugby side, Origin, Internationals, various Finals... Suncorp can probably (just) handle another side.

Eventually, any new SE Queensland team will likely need its own stadium for some of its games, and only take a few to Suncorp. For this bid, Suncorp is a stop gap before they get their own ground, and for big matches, like the Broncos.

Ipswich would be good to get another area represented. I am just not sure if it is advanced enough to the other bids yet. I would only have it over PNG and CQLD
It has actually done a lot of work, but they are taking a quiet aproach, unlike the Bombers bid. You are right, its seperate identity and geography to Brisbane, but still taking in a huge area and population within the Brisbane metro area is a big strength of this bid.

simostorm

Bench

lol.. i like it.. it could be a "the bachelor" style rose ceromony with Gallop
offering roses to the teams CEO's that he wants to stay each week..

bobmar28

Bench

I'm sure they have plans for a stadium and will use Suncorp while it is being built.

smithie

Juniors
I'm sure they have plans for a stadium and will use Suncorp while it is being built.

The proposed stadium at Springfield is ten years away. 2020 is when the Western Corridor team should look to enter the competition.

Latest posts