What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The biff. The message being sent.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Just stumbled on the Watts vs Farah stoush in this arvo's game. Watts belts into Farah as a scrum is completed, gets warned. Next scrum, despite ref warnings, Farah opens a can of woop-ass on Watts, definitely taking the points decision. 2 x sinbins, penalty to Tigers.

There's 2 messages coming out of "foul play" this year & particularly in the last week.

1) Despite the do-gooders, AFL nay-sayers & general killjoys, it's evident a good blue - particularly today with an immediate get-square - is loved by the crowds and the commentators. After SOO3, Gould was calling for SOO4 to be played. Why? For the blues that would inevitably occur. Dead setm, after the way game 3 ended, they could play game 4 in Istanbul and probably sell 50,000 tickets (I know I'd be renewing my passport!). The stoush - especially the get-square stoush - adds to league's gladitorial appeal.

2) As far as I'm aware, punching another player is an action that attracts suspension. This is where I'm confused. JT's kick to William's head was treated lightly due to it's supposed lack of intent. It's kind of hard to argue the 'intent' aspect of aiming & landing a punch. Yet today neither player was placed on report. On Wednesday night, one player was sent, two sin-binned & another placed on report. Not one of these players had thrown a punch yet punches were thrown. It just doesn't add up & to me shows the citation/judicial system in the NRL has as much of a clue as the selection process for the NSW Blues.

Don't get me wrong - I had switched today's game on to see how my tipping was going. When I saw the frst stoush, I left it on and was damned glad I did. I live to see a fair, one-on-one donny-brook in a game. But does it all reek of massive inconsistancy?

fulltime

Juniors
Robbie Farah and Anthony Watts deserve to be given OAM's for services to the game of Rugby League.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Exactly, and great to see when they returned from the bin Watts still having a say (Watts might have been begging for no rematch!).

But why does that illegal act attract no judicial attention? Again, especially when there's little doubt as to the all-important 'intent'?

For mine, a fair fight should attract no attention. Neither should those 'high' tackles that are little more than a slap across the neck. But, as far as I understand, that ain't the rules. Again for me, it just shows the NRL/judiciary are clueless at best.

Ice Ice Brady

Juniors
It's always baffled me why a swinging arm hitting the chin is okay if the guy is holding the ball and is not okay when they aren't. (In the judiciary's eyes.)

no name

Coach
The Biff is Back!
It's great to see the players fire up and play with passion.
The end of Origin, the scrum blues today.
Even when Bowen was penalised for elbowing (weak penalty btw) all the players came running in to back up their respective team mates. Words, points and dirty looks were exchanged.
It's so annoying seeing players rub each others back and be chummy all the time.
When they fire up they show the fans that they care for the team and their team mates.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Watts is a dog and should have been sent off.

As soon as that second scrum packed you knew it was going to be on and Farah didn't disappoint.

fourplay

Juniors
ahah i loved the Farah vs Watts battle

Farah absolutely gave it to him in that second scrum.

Engine

Juniors
Why???

because he cops an elbow in the face from Farrah and for once stood up to the grub and put him on his a$$????

We put you, Watts, Thurston, Webb, Bowen and Charlie123 on their asses in response.

Gus22

Juniors
Why???

because he cops an elbow in the face from Farah and for once stood up to the grub and put him on his a$$????

Award a knock down to Watts in round 1 and a knock out to Farrah in the second.

Farrah was the clear winner (fight & football).

tigr3

Juniors
Awesome comeback champ, did your husband give you a hand with that????

Do u want some water to wash down those sour grapes? Watts had 2 cheap shots on Farah when he wasn't looking and in response Farah smashed him, end of story. Watts' face told the story. Watts is a grub and got called on it. Don't get bitter just cause your #9 fights like a little girl.

MacDougall

First Grade
Haha Watts knocked Farah down when Farah wasn't ready for it. When it was obvious there was a fight going on Farah punched the bejeesus out of him.

Not tough enough for Origin...

Watts will only fight as third man in, while the other bloke is being held. Cat of the highest order, watch Gallen+Twats+Talupapa vs Shack if you need evidence, Twats and Talupapa showed their true colours...cats.

brokendigit

Juniors
The only problem with saying that this kind of activity is "OK" is that sooner or later, a coach will give a player the instruction to "engage" a team's chief playmaker until he's knocked senseless. And because there's a precedent of minimal action - what's going to happen? A benchie gets 10 minutes, and a side's General sits down (or gets carried off) along with him.
The coach's job is to stretch every rule to their team's possible advantage, so sending out a guy who can handle himself - against a Lockyer, Thurston, Soward will make more sense if there are minimal consequences. Especially come Semi-final time.

But, I do love a good, clean stoush...

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Do u want some water to wash down those sour grapes? Watts had 2 cheap shots on Farah when he wasn't looking and in response Farah smashed him, end of story. Watts' face told the story. Watts is a grub and got called on it. Don't get bitter just cause your #9 fights like a little girl.

f#$king please, Farrah elbowed him in the face in the 1st scrum and was well and truly facing Watts when he threw them, and accordingly went down like a sack of $hit. You think Watts would have reacted that way without provocation??? I haven't seen any crap in his game in the 2 years he has been here, but in all honesty he needs a kick in the a$$ for pretty much stirring the bees nest and giving the Tigers a reason to fire up. No sour grapes at all, we deserved to lose that game through $hithouse play with some soft as butter defence.

Bench
Haha Watts knocked Farah down when Farah wasn't ready for it. When it was obvious there was a fight going on Farah punched the bejeesus out of him.

Not tough enough for Origin...
That is morons like Bellamy,who wouldn't know what a good player was.Farah was injured in origin,needled and and despensed,poor form from selectors and coach.