What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Big Ben Humble Pie Thread...

devoid

Juniors
Well, you've got me there. His whole career at Parra he was listed, I think, 97kg.

If the Warriors have bulked him up that might explain why he is carrying the ball so strongly this year.

He was definitely a few kilos lighter when he started, but pretty sure the last couple of seasons he has been plus 100 - sorry mate, I don't mean any malice. He is a big guy. I know he is not the fastest winger in the comp, but that doesn't mean he isn't 'fast' in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm loving his form. He was massive for Parra during their run in 09, and he can play a huge role for us, as a lot of us are starting to see. Suddenly our record without Manu is not looking completely abject.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
He was definitely a few kilos lighter when he started, but pretty sure the last couple of seasons he has been plus 100 - sorry mate, I don't mean any malice. He is a big guy. I know he is not the fastest winger in the comp, but that doesn't mean he isn't 'fast' in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm loving his form. He was massive for Parra during their run in 09, and he can play a huge role for us, as a lot of us are starting to see. Suddenly our record without Manu is not looking completely abject.

It's a moot point now but I have last year's media guide, pretty sure if I dig that up it'll still say 97kg....meaningless anyway as the listed heights and weights are questionable to say the least.

I still feel (have always felt) he doesn't have the gifts to be the player people want him to be....he doesn't have the combination of speed/bulk to be a devastating ball carrier and throughout his career I don't think he's ever really displayed it either. Inu's best moments have usually been about spectacular leaping/handling/kicking and regathering etc. I don't think he'll ever be the type of player to beat 3 or 4 defenders and run 80m to score.

But anyway....preconceptions aside he certainly has the ability to be a good first-grader and I'm enjoying his form. Good metres from our own half and good in the air= half the battle for a modern winger.

Part of me thinks his full skillset might be more appropriately displayed at centre though?

devoid

Juniors
I still feel (have always felt) he doesn't have the gifts to be the player people want him to be....he doesn't have the combination of speed/bulk to be a devastating ball carrier and throughout his career I don't think he's ever really displayed it either.

My opinion is, I think you have a tall ruler you compare people to. If you get on NRL.com's video section (bigpond?) and watch the highlights of Parra '09 from round 15ish onwards, I think you might be surprised.

Part of me thinks his full skillset might be more appropriately displayed at centre though?

He played there during said period for Parra. Pretty much obliterated his opposite for three straight months.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don't think I have a tall ruler, just a different opinion on Inu.

A player can be outstanding without having obvious "physical attributes" to be outstanding....Inu may very well turn out to be outstanding for us, I just don't think he has any stand out "numbers" that make this immediately apparent.

Come to think of it....he's actually somewhat comparable to Justin Hodges. Hodges is neither lightning quick nor enormous...he is reasonably quick and pretty big, but if you got him on the scales and timed him over 100m and then compared him to all the other centres running around, he wouldn't be a stand out.

What I'm saying is, Inu has SUFFICIENT attributes to be an amazing player....so does half the NRL. There are a few players with extraordinary attributes (like my namesake, 10+ kg heavier than Inu and would beat him by 10 metres over a 100m sprint) and some of these players turn out to be duds (Tony Williams is friggin enormous and probably faster than Inu too, but he hasn't delivered on it). I just don't think there's any compelling reason why Inu will be a superstar ahead of a number of other players. That's not to say he can't be one.

hitman82

Bench
Inu is over 100kgs, a fantastic winger, a gifted athlete and pretty quick for his size. Ha

Latest posts