What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Big Ben Humble Pie Thread...

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I think is also applied to Aaron Heremaia.

He has probably received the most criticism lately.
Behind a pack who performed for once he played some good footy.
Hence why Cleary hesitated on putting on mara.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I keep hearing about what a talented athlete Inu is...can anyone actually define what that means for me? He has good hands and can kick, is quite big, and is slow as hell. How does that make him a supreme athlete?

Playing great though. Different sort of player to what people were expecting I think, stronger in the tackle.

devoid

Juniors
I keep hearing about what a talented athlete Inu is...can anyone actually define what that means for me? He has good hands and can kick, is quite big, and is slow as hell. How does that make him a supreme athlete?

Playing great though. Different sort of player to what people were expecting I think, stronger in the tackle.

Not sure if I have described Krisnan as a talented athlete before, but I do think he is one. I don't think he is the quickest guy going, but I don't think 'slow as hell' is a particularly accurate description either. As far as defining what a talented athlete is, or at least how I would apply the tag to Krisnan Inu, I would begin with his vertical leap, his ability in the air, and his ability to catch a ball that is either juggled, bouncing or deflecting off another player, while his body is going in a completely different direction. However, I don't think 'talented athlete' is limited to my interpretation.

Better yet, when you keep hearing the term (regardless of who it applied to) what did you think it meant?

hitman82

Bench
Kisnan Inu is definitely a gifted athlete. He'd probably be awesome at any sport he took up - except maybe track

Izz

Bench
Am i the only person who thought this thread was going to be about Big Ben Matulino?

hitman82

Bench
Haha I refer to Ben as Iron Shoulder, so I only thought of the pies.

Which, btw, are disgusting. Mrs Macs FTW

Micistm

Bench
If I'm having Humble pie, maybe the Sheffield Pie. Famous down here, much chicken and very yummy

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not sure if I have described Krisnan as a talented athlete before, but I do think he is one. I don't think he is the quickest guy going, but I don't think 'slow as hell' is a particularly accurate description either. As far as defining what a talented athlete is, or at least how I would apply the tag to Krisnan Inu, I would begin with his vertical leap, his ability in the air, and his ability to catch a ball that is either juggled, bouncing or deflecting off another player, while his body is going in a completely different direction. However, I don't think 'talented athlete' is limited to my interpretation.

Better yet, when you keep hearing the term (regardless of who it applied to) what did you think it meant?

To me a gifted athlete in a rugby league context is someone who has athletic gifts suited to the game. Fast is good, big is good, big and fast is best.

I don't really see what's so special about Inu as a physical specimen. I'd say he has a good leap and good hands. His ball skills (kicking, catching, off-loading) stand-out more than his athleticism.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah, think the reason so many commentators refer to him as "casual" is often actually a lot more to do with how slow off the mark he appears to be.

Exactly! Some of the criticism of Inu is fair enough, but it's absolute lunacy to think that anyone in first grade is just strolling around at half pace. He looks like he's strolling at half pace because he's SLOW.

Whereas I keep hearing about how Inu has limitless potential, I think his potential as a rugby league winger/centre/fullback is very much limited by how slow he is and how cumbersome he can be off the mark.

devoid

Juniors
To me a gifted athlete in a rugby league context is someone who has athletic gifts suited to the game. Fast is good, big is good, big and fast is best.

I don't really see what's so special about Inu as a physical specimen. I'd say he has a good leap and good hands. His ball skills (kicking, catching, off-loading) stand-out more than his athleticism.

Fair enough. I'm not going to tell you what your perception is. I think Inu is fast and big, good in the air, great balance, fantastic footwork, and all at +100kg; but that's just me (and maybe a bunch of NRL coaches, players, agents, CEO's... I'm being presumptuous of course) - we're all entitled to our views.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Fair enough. I'm not going to tell you what your perception is. I think Inu is fast and big, good in the air, great balance, fantastic footwork, and all at +100kg; but that's just me (and maybe a bunch of NRL coaches, players, agents, CEO's... I'm being presumptuous of course) - we're all entitled to our views.

He's obviously not fast and he's never been listed over 100kg, but thanks for this condescending rant anyway.

Blaze

Juniors
Warriors are still very dusty with the pill in hand. Have been throughout Cleary's six year reign.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Sorry, I'm struggling to hear you; it sounds like you have a foot in your mouth. Did you say he hasn't been listed as over 100kg?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krisnan_Inu :lol:

Oh, silly me - he 'obviously isn't fast' just like you say.

Well, you've got me there. His whole career at Parra he was listed, I think, 97kg.

If the Warriors have bulked him up that might explain why he is carrying the ball so strongly this year.