What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The biggest problem in NRL has to be...

kruzin

Juniors
I understand that on weekends, its normal for people to drink, but do we appreciate drunk loudmouths outside our streets? NO, do we appreciate drink drivers on our roads? NO, do we appreciate the violence that comes with drunks? NO, Do we call for higher ages on alcohol YES, do we want alcohol banned in some places, YES.. You cannot have one rule for players and one rule for normal public, its outrageous, if players could control their behavior when drinking noone would have an issue, but they cannot, they are rolemodels for our kids,

/end rant

ngap

Juniors
It also isn't just the NRL but has to look at the grass root amatuer clubs, where alcohol is seen as part of the Rugby League Culture and team building. This goes down into the juniors, not just the A grade teams.

kruzin

Juniors
It also isn't just the NRL but has to look at the grass root amatuer clubs, where alcohol is seen as part of the Rugby League Culture and team building. This goes down into the juniors, not just the A grade teams.

Acknowledged and Accepted, but its the big guys the little fellows look upto, and its also the A grade which is televised and highly scrutinised..

ngap

Juniors
Acknowledged and Accepted, but its the big guys the little fellows look upto, and its also the A grade which is televised and highly scrutinised..

True but if you let it continue at the grass routes, where it is seen as part of the culture the players will expect it to continue when they go professional. It needs to be a whole system culture, not just once they reach professional status and not just at grass roots but throughout.

kruzin

Juniors
True but if you let it continue at the grass routes, where it is seen as part of the culture the players will expect it to continue when they go professional. It needs to be a whole system culture, not just once they reach professional status and not just at grass roots but throughout.

Sorry my post meant to say that but i said it backwards...my bad.

But i still think alcohol needs to be gone, if it pisses players off, then can go find another code or another country that allows them to be dickheads. the NRL HAS TO MAKE A STANCE.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
... a league for real men run by spinless excuses for men.
Andrew Demetriou may be considered a polarising dickhead by AFL fans but you can't deny he has tough skin and balls.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
... a league for real men run by spinless excuses for men.
Andrew Demetriou may be considered a polarising dickhead by AFL fans but you can't deny he has tough skin and balls.

He's a fat, loud-mouthed bogan in a suit and surrounded by yes-men. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
He's a fat, loud-mouthed bogan in a suit and surrounded by yes-men. Nothing more, nothing less.
Who's willing to be unpopular and take huge, expensive risks for the future benefit of his code.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Who's willing to be unpopular and take huge, expensive risks for the future benefit of his code.

I forgot to add, he has a fantastic control of the media in the fumbleball cities. So much so that he can fail to deliver on his promises (a GC team by 2009) and he isn't called up on it. He can confidently say he'll lose tens of millions of dollars PER YEAR and still isn't questioned by the sheep fumbleball media.

A GC AFL team is laughable considering the current problems the Bad News Bears have, a second Sydney team is simply unbelievable.

Dimwit has a massive ego and a tiny dick, which explains everything he is doing.

Parra

Referee

bullsh*t.

He is willing to oversee a body that takes out of a sport more than it puts in.

And get away with it.

Nothing impressive there.

ramble_on

Juniors
Sorry my post meant to say that but i said it backwards...my bad.

But i still think alcohol needs to be gone, if it pisses players off, then can go find another code or another country that allows them to be dickheads. the NRL HAS TO MAKE A STANCE.

Yes it does. If a newspaper prints a photo of a player taking a piss in an alley then ALL of their reporters should be blacklisted for a set time. If a newspaper or other media outlet names players, clubs or code for that matter before any legal action has been taken and the story is blatantly being used to bring the code into disrepute, then ALL reporters should be blacklisted for a set time and the offending reporter blacklisted for life.

Any player that DOES bring the game into disrepute (not bullsh*t trivia like pissing on a wall in an alley) should be immediately fined and if the infringement warrants it, immediately stood down indefinetely. Minor infringements should be given the 3 strike rule. Clubs seen to be disregarding calls for better education should be fined heavily and if this fails to induce action then points should be taken from them. An independant watchdog should be overseeing that this is being done.

(to be cont.)

Last edited:

kruzin

Juniors
Any player that DOES bring the game into disrepute (not bullsh*t trivia like pissing on a wall in an alley) should be immediately fined and if the infringement warrants it, immediately stood down indefinetely. Minor infringements should be given the 3 strike rule. Clubs seen to be disregarding calls for better education should be fined heavily and if this fails to induce action then points should be taken from them. An independant watchdog should be overseeing that this is being done.

(to be cont.)

Totally agree with this, 110%.

Coastie

Juniors
Yes it does. If a newspaper prints a photo of a player taking a piss in an alley then ALL of their reporters should be blacklisted for a set time. If a newspaper or other media outlet names players, clubs or code for that matter before any legal action has been taken and the story is blatantly being used to bring the code into disrepute, then ALL reporters should be blacklisted for a set time and the offending reporter blacklisted for life.

(to be cont.)

blacklist reporters mate and forget the current media storm raging, league will be in serious trouble, headline "What Has the NRL Got to Hide?"

Agreed on the three strike rule, that's got to happen.

Two major problems for mine

- Current culture and attitude towards women, sorry are they still trying to sell the game as family entertainment?

- Non Professional management, as much as I hate the idea a lot of clubs need professional managements and not ex players running their finances.

- Oops also highest priority is getting the CC Bears on board for 2010, you know I'm talking sense there.

Don't even get me started on the attitude of some of the players, sorry these guys are meant to be professionals :shock:

ramble_on

Juniors
blacklist reporters mate and forget the current media storm raging, league will be in serious trouble, headline "What Has the NRL Got to Hide?"

For the example of printed photos of a player pissing in an alley, if just that paper's reporters were banned from post match press reports for a week I'm sure it couldn't be taken seriously as if they've got something to hide. NRL needs to do more to protect the quality of life of it's players too. Yes they need to realise they've got an image to protect but they still deserve some privacy.

I just think the NRL must get firmer with indiscretions by players but also must be seen to be defending them against petty bullsh*t headline-grabbing harassment. And I do realise that this could not begin to happen in this current media climate.....

Don't even get me started on the attitude of some of the players, sorry these guys are meant to be professionals :shock:

True. And as such should be afforded the same level of privacy as other professionals.... if one player screws his teammate's wife should that be plastered all over the newspapers for all to see and judge..?? You think that sort of sh*t doesn't happen in a major corporation FULL of professionals..?? Yes they are role models and in the public eye and yes they should be dealt with heavily for things that warrant news headlines, but they also should be afforded some normality in their lives.....

Red Bear

Referee
My physiology lecturer the other day said that this stuff about blokes not having a beer before a game (ie night before) because it will hinder their performance was crap, if thats what you do to relax you will likely be at your best then rather than not drinking at all.
Mind you theres a difference between 1 or 2 beers and 5 or 6

Angry_eel

First Grade
think the problem is binge drinking not drinking.

Drinking by itself when you have 2 beers or 2 bourbon & cokes isn't bad.

Red Bear

Referee
I understand that on weekends, its normal for people to drink, but do we appreciate drunk loudmouths outside our streets? NO, do we appreciate drink drivers on our roads? NO, do we appreciate the violence that comes with drunks? NO, Do we call for higher ages on alcohol YES, do we want alcohol banned in some places, YES.. You cannot have one rule for players and one rule for normal public, its outrageous, if players could control their behavior when drinking noone would have an issue, but they cannot, they are rolemodels for our kids,

/end rant
How old are you?
Do you drink?

Latest posts