What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bird Issue

AJB1102

First Grade
Yes players do pop up all the time, but how many premiership winning, SOO players are popping up? And when was the last time one did?

In the last 3 years I reckon they've appeared on the market more than Bird has appeared on the field.

He's shot. We got the best outta him and dodged a big money sucking long term bullet with him thinking greener pastures were up north. The fairy kissed us on the dick with this, lets not slap her in the face.

ghoti

Bench
To be fair $500k in the current salary cap isn't as much as it seems. I'm sure Morris is considering it for one season...I was never a huge fan of Bird even when in form but we're desperate for someone to push for spots, I dunno if it's fair to assume he'll be injured again in 2021 any more than the risk of any players injury either..

Honestly, I think I'd take him back just for the competition for spots he introduces. Tell him he's pushing Kennedy and Moylan (if we're still stuck with him) for the #1, but to prep for the 13 or 14

Quicksilver

Bench
So only one, Latrell, and he was never coming to us.
The other three arent premiership winners.
Next.
They are good players and Internationals for top tier countries though.

I don’t know why we arbitrarily need them to be SOO + Premiership anyway.

Quicksilver

Bench
To be fair $500k in the current salary cap isn't as much as it seems. I'm sure Morris is considering it for one season...I was never a huge fan of Bird even when in form but we're desperate for someone to push for spots, I dunno if it's fair to assume he'll be injured again in 2021 any more than the risk of any players injury either..

Honestly, I think I'd take him back just for the competition for spots he introduces. Tell him he's pushing Kennedy and Moylan (if we're still stuck with him) for the #1, but to prep for the 13 or 14

The arthritis thing might be an ongoing problem- or not. Hard to say from this distance.

What position does he actually want to play these days? He’s probably going to need a pretty different pre-season to be a fullback compared to a 13 or 14. Particularly if he’s already a little pudgy.

ghoti

Bench
The arthritis thing might be an ongoing problem- or not. Hard to say from this distance.

What position does he actually want to play these days? He’s probably going to need a pretty different pre-season to be a fullback compared to a 13 or 14. Particularly if he’s already a little pudgy.

the arthritis has been an ongoing problem for him since he was a teen, so he's proven he can manage it...for how long it's hard to say though ofc

he was desperate to be a fullback last pre-season, who knows what he's thinkin now that he's done an ACL, if he wants the extra metres, rushing in cover defence, etc..

always thought he was a '90s style ball-playing lock so it's maybe timely the game has changed to be looking for that style of 13 again, if he can handle the defensive workload he could kick on and play to his potential.. but f**k, we really can't handle another risky signing

snout

First Grade
Cant buy a guy on what he did 2016.
Have to buy him on what he did 2020.
Busted.
And it wasnt just an unlucky year.
Busted the year before.
And...the year before that.

If we bought a guy with that cv over the last 3 years we are irresponsible with money as its just a gamble.
We arent in a position to say "in hindsight we shouldnt have risked it."

They are good players and Internationals for top tier countries though.

I don’t know why we arbitrarily need them to be SOO + Premiership anyway.
Because I stated about premiership winner and SOO to someone else and you chose to answer for him with players that I didn't ask for.
Next.

Mate Bird has hardly been sighted in 4 years. Darius Boyds a premiership winning SOO rep should we pluck him outta retirement?
Darius isn't up for sale so why would we go for him? That's silly.
Bird is, if it doesn't work out so be it.
I'm still waiting for all these players you said who have been available, what was it? There are more of them then Bird's played games, or something like that.

AJB1102

First Grade
Darius isn't up for sale so why would we go for him? That's silly.
Bird is, if it doesn't work out so be it.
I'm still waiting for all these players you said who have been available, what was it? There are more of them then Bird's played games, or something like that.

17 games in 3 seasons. Don't die on this hill. Surely 17 GF winning Origin reps were off contract in that time. Not that it means shit, Jack is still a broken Birdy and I maintain we got the best he'll ever offer.

Onwards and upwards.

fizman

Bench
I wish to offer a thought so left field that it is almost preposterous.

I think that he has struggled with the “harder” training surfaces in Brisbane. I believe a move back to Sydney with “softer” training grounds will suit him far better than his Brisbane experience.

On that basis, I would definitely have him back. Unlike Val, he would be highly motivated to prove that his best is not behind him.

He was touted as a regular Origin starter for NSW and was also discussed as a future Kangaroo.

He went to Brisbane for the wrong reasons and has suffered the consequences.

With the right support, he is still young enough to play his very best footy.

This thread is already gold.
People reading into things wherever their brains take them, instead of reading what the posts are actually saying.
It's amazing how easy it is to sift through this place still to find the good stuff.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
If he were off contract in 2022....maybe take a punt for a year. We are still on a shoestring budget for 2021. Even if we did have the 500k up our sleeve I’d rather spend it upgrading guys like Talakai...Toby and Royce etc. These guys are the future of our club imo. Jack couldn’t f**k off quick enough. I barely rate him higher than Val in the loyalty stakes.

fizman

Bench
Surely no one is actually suggesting Jack Bird is a better player than Shaun Johnson or Josh Morris?

Eddie, my good man. I’m not sure whether anyone has made any claims, but may I say this.

If I had the choice between Shaun Johnson and Jack Bird for a GF and both were fully fit and available, I would take Bird.

I am not suggesting this is your position, but I think that time has clouded people’s judgement on how good Jack Bird was as a footy player in both attack and defence. He is an outstanding talent.

I would likely select Josh Morris over Bird, but really hold them both in the same high regard.

With the right support, I believe he can play his very best footy.

Latest posts