What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The broncos monopoly.

taxidriver

Coach
Will the inclusion of the Gold Coast be enough to make some inroads into the monopoly the broncos have enjoyed for far too long.

The cream of South East Queensland at their disposal, the lack of a geographic threat from any other side and having Australia's 2nd largest league city to themselves have culminated to give the Broncs a massive advantage over any other side in the competition. While all other league sides can expect do suffer cyclical downturns, the worst the Broncos can expect to do is end up in the lower part of the eight.

My question is will the inclusion of the GC side bring some parity back to the equation or do we need a second Brisbane side in the near future ?

wittyfan

Referee
We had the Gold Coast in from 1988-98 and the Crushers from 1995-97 and the Broncos were very dominant during that time and I expect they will continue doing that in SE Queensland in the years to come.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I'd say a 2nd Brisbane side as well.

Clearly, the avenues do not exist to develop Queensland players that NSW jusniors enjoy.

Mr Saab

Referee
the broncos will remain strong as they are the broncos...the club has an aura about them like it or not (95% dont like, but i, or they dont care)
majority of QLD kids want to play for the broncos as they are a succesful club.

rooster69

Juniors
Yes - but the GC will chip away at that dominence .....one of the reasons why most players ending staying at the broncs - is relocation , despite the monetary incentives elsewherer.....I expect the choice moving to the GC ,wont be that that diffucult + the money they will have spend......

NSW teams should be picking young QLD players themselves and bringing them down to NSW from QLD. That way there is a less talent pool for Brisbane to monopolize. Melbourne and The Roosters do it pretty well. BUt they also have the least juniors in there area to choose from so it has been born out of necessity for them.

Mr Saab

Referee
if the 2nd qld side is set up properly then yes. But there will not be a second BRis team for another 7-8-9 yrs.
NRL has expanded to the GC for 2007...so they wont introduce another team after that for until at least 2012-13.
There will be no more 1995 efforts of including 4 extra teams all at once. It will be a slow process...as it should be.
The NRL will monitor the situation and see how the GC team perfrom on and more importantly off the field.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Southern Rooster said:
NSW teams should be picking young QLD players themselves and bringing them down to NSW from QLD. That way there is a less talent pool for Brisbane to monopolize. Melbourne and The Roosters do it pretty well. BUt they also have the least juniors in there area to choose from so it has been born out of necessity for them.

Welcome to reality :rolleyes:

Have you heard of Tim Smith?
He's a guy that a certain club brought down along with a slew of other young guys from Queensland (O'Dwyer, Graham, the Witts to name a few) - but Smith is far and away (at this stage) the best developed.

I'm certain Paramatta isn't the only other club to bring players down!

Ron Burgundy

Juniors
Until the GC are a successful team on the park the Broncos will have all the best young talent. The bests players in the South of Queensland will go to the Broncos because they are successful. The same happened with the talent from North Queensland before they bacame successful in the past year or two.

oldmancraigy said:
Welcome to reality :rolleyes:

Have you heard of Tim Smith?
He's a guy that a certain club brought down along with a slew of other young guys from Queensland (O'Dwyer, Graham, the Witts to name a few) - but Smith is far and away (at this stage) the best developed.

I'm certain Paramatta isn't the only other club to bring players down!

I agree with you. My posts suggest that more NSW teams should be doing it and that way there wouldn't be the monopoly for the broncos.

ozzie

Bench
Best thing has been our affiliation with Redcliffe - have a look at the players that are currently playing first grade for the Roosters. Not only the first grade bu the second (Premier League) if full of players from Redcliffe

gregstar

Referee
as long as the broncos are a privately owned club with strong management, they will be a force - however strong management doesn't last forever.

Graf Vynda-k

there is no talent in se queensland.........didn't you see last night's origin??

the question that has to be arksd is........where have all the big tough blokes gorn??.....because their not playing rleague anymore.

it was embaressing to watch queensland last night, they had a mosquito fleet back line........everyone of them was a short arse with no bulk or muscle......what's going on?? it's easy to see why nsw smashed them......it was like the men playing the school kiddies.

i suspect all the top class sportsmen are now playing union or afl and our great game only gets the left over runts.

everyone of those queenslanders were out played by their opponents in the last two matches so it will be interesting to see who gets picked in the test team.......by rights no queenslander should make it but they never pick the best team, it's always political, some queenslanders have to be selected even if there are better players available.

even the great sacred cow, lockyer should miss out because he had his arse spanked by anasta in the last two games........but they will always pick lockyer for political reasons. no wonder braith wants to leave rleague if he's discriminated against like this.

and if we expect the punters to take international rleague seriously again then we should start picking test teams on merit and not small minded political reasons.

NPK

Bench
taxidriver said:
Will the inclusion of the Gold Coast be enough to make some inroads into the monopoly the broncos have enjoyed for far too long.

The cream of South East Queensland at their disposal, the lack of a geographic threat from any other side and having Australia's 2nd largest league city to themselves have culminated to give the Broncs a massive advantage over any other side in the competition. While all other league sides can expect do suffer cyclical downturns, the worst the Broncos can expect to do is end up in the lower part of the eight.

My question is will the inclusion of the GC side bring some parity back to the equation or do we need a second Brisbane side in the near future ?

That is a huge misperception.
There is absolutely nothing stopping NSW clubs from discovering young Qld players and offering them contracts. It happens all the time - The Broncos haven't signed up every South East Qld player. It's just that NSW talent scouts are too lazy to come up to QLD and do some work and find the players, they just whinge that the Broncos have a monopoly, which is rubbish.

taxidriver

Coach
right NPK, a talented kid is going to want to move away from mum/dad, friends and family to play in Sydney as oppossed to staying in Brisbane and playing for the Broncs.

Do you deny they enjoy a massive geographical advantage as well as a finacial one having SE QLD to themselves ?