What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cap

BLM01

First Grade
Boy oh boy, I would love to see this type of system come into effect. You have shown how the model is BLM01 and it is how I would adopt such a system.

I only hope that it will come about.
Na. the RLPA, managers and probably non NRL + NRL powerbrokers wont let the invisible commission bring that in. Too much invested in the rich clubs who can stretch the cap.
It is just a dream DD.. just a dream

denis preston

First Grade
It's a great idea. It would still get rorted somehow by the smarter clubs though. I don't know how, I just know the Roosters and Storm would find a way around it.
Even they will find it tough. If players are rated each year you may dispute some points given but overall I think fans would support it. The NRL has also got to wise up , the enormous NRL fan base that Dragons, West tigers, Bulldogs, Parra , Souths, Broncos, Newcastle & Raiders carry which I would suggest would be at least 75 to 80% of total viewers , so they have to accommodate them instead of the behind the scenes powerbrokers from the Rorters & Melbourne

Dragon David

First Grade
Even they will find it tough. If players are rated each year you may dispute some points given but overall I think fans would support it. The NRL has also got to wise up , the enormous NRL fan base that Dragons, West tigers, Bulldogs, Parra , Souths, Broncos, Newcastle & Raiders carry which I would suggest would be at least 75 to 80% of total viewers , so they have to accommodate them instead of the behind the scenes powerbrokers from the Rorters & Melbourne
By the sound of things, the NRL is run by the Rorting Roosters. What they say goes. It is a pity that they don't just go.

smi962

First Grade
I think points need to be adapted every 12 months to ensure the strengths of team are kept up to date, otherwise you could find clubs with emerging talent greatly undervalued.

So potentially improving clubs with emerging talent might find themselves over their points cap in the following season. Do these clubs have to release players to teams with cap space? This is what should happen if the objective is to keep all sides relatively equal. What happens to the existing monetary contracts these players signed (unless all contracts are 12 months)?

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I think points need to be adapted every 12 months to ensure the strengths of team are kept up to date, otherwise you could find clubs with emerging talent greatly undervalued.

So potentially improving clubs with emerging talent might find themselves over their points cap in the following season. Do these clubs have to release players to teams with cap space? This is what should happen if the objective is to keep all sides relatively equal. What happens to the existing monetary contracts these players signed (unless all contracts are 12 months)?
You answered your own questions
12 month NRL contracts relative to points value only, reviewed in October before Nov training starts
Clubs have a 3 month window during pre-season to get their cap in order before trials
But a club may want to pay $$$ for a couple off years to a star like a guarantee especially if they want to retain him and he is a 4-5 point player but may rank lower due to discount incentives for home grown
Some clubs would rather shuffle others on to keep some players in need to be cap compliant and keep for life the best maybe...DCE, Cleary, Suuali, Tedesco as examples
With home grown talent discounts make it more worth while for clubs to nurture, grow and retain their own, especially if they become stars

BLM01

First Grade
It's a great idea. It would still get rorted somehow by the smarter clubs though. I don't know how, I just know the Roosters and Storm would find a way around it.
It can be only be rorted if the point scorers are encouraged with brown paper bags and Tedesco becomes a 2-3 point player somehow
But points are set in stone based on current achievement level based on what happened in year gone
(e.g. - not including home grown discount)

Origin, Aussie / NZ test level 5 auto
Fringe Origin / Test - (benchies - 19th man)

The rest of players ranked as follows (this would negate if say Tedesco missed out of origin last year to injury) as nominated by clubs from position at start of year gone

Top 10% measured against peers in same position - 5
Next 15% = 4
Next 30% = 3
Next 30% = 2
Bottom 20% = 1

Debutants automatically 1 (if in Top 30)

smi962

First Grade
You answered your own questions
12 month NRL contracts relative to points value only, reviewed in October before Nov training starts
Clubs have a 3 month window during pre-season to get their cap in order before trials
But a club may want to pay $$$ for a couple off years to a star like a guarantee especially if they want to retain him and he is a 4-5 point player but may rank lower due to discount incentives for home grown
Some clubs would rather shuffle others on to keep some players in need to be cap compliant and keep for life the best maybe...DCE, Cleary, Suuali, Tedesco as examples
With home grown talent discounts make it more worth while for clubs to nurture, grow and retain their own, especially if they become stars
Not sure I the idea of players becoming so transitory on a yearly basis; they would definitely hate it. Might decentivize what a club like penrith has done with junior development. They developed a large portion of their team, and even with discounts, they could lose half of them under the points cap at a far quicker rate than with monetary contracts (i.e. they will still lose some of them with salary cap but it will be a slower process so they have a greater opportunity to reap success). I understand there are definitely benefits of a points cap, but think there are some not so nice things that might emerge.

Last edited:

smi962

First Grade
It can be only be rorted if the point scorers are encouraged with brown paper bags and Tedesco becomes a 2-3 point player somehow
But points are set in stone based on current achievement level based on what happened in year gone
(e.g. - not including home grown discount)

Origin, Aussie / NZ test level 5 auto
Fringe Origin / Test - (benchies - 19th man)

The rest of players ranked as follows (this would negate if say Tedesco missed out of origin last year to injury) as nominated by clubs from position at start of year gone

Top 10% measured against peers in same position - 5
Next 15% = 4
Next 30% = 3
Next 30% = 2
Bottom 20% = 1

Debutants automatically 1 (if in Top 30)
If a player is at a club he doesnt want to be at, or a club that is not in semi-final contention, he might tank in the second half of the season, reduce his value so he can get the move he wants. Also players with long term injuries are a difficult one for points evaluation. Im not against points in theory, but just haven't really thought about it before.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Not sure I the idea of players becoming so transitory on a yearly basis; they would definitely hate it. Might decentivize what a club like penrith has done with junior development. They developed a large portion of their team, and even with discounts, they could lose half of them under the points cap at a far quicker rate than with monetary contracts (i.e. they will still lose some of them with salary cap but it will be a slower process so they have a greater opportunity to reap success). I understand there are definitely benefits of a points cap, but think there are some not so nice things that might emerge.
No it's not perfect but just remember what we have now and that it is clearly not working.

BLM01

First Grade
If a player is at a club he doesnt want to be at, or a club that is not in semi-final contention, he might tank in the second half of the season, reduce his value so he can get the move he wants. Also players with long term injuries are a difficult one for points evaluation. Im not against points in theory, but just haven't really thought about it before.
If a player tanks, well I am sure his club will be over it and it is assessed on the whole year and who will want him, harming his own image thats all
Injuries not that hard, you might lose 1 ranking thats all, reputation will come into it
e.g if you were to rank the fullbacks on this year and reputation would it be something like in order Top few
Tedesco & Ponga (auto 5 played origin) cross them out
So based on the remaining 14 fullbacks Top 10% = 1.4 round to 1 player = 5 ranking
Latrell = 5
Turbo (played 10? games) = 4
Paps = 4
Something similar
I have said before you can maybe take 2 ranks of home grown would help significantly someone like Penrith,
so Cleary, Luai, T'oo, Crichton etc would be only a 3
The more that incentive for home grown the better