What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
SA State Govt needs to be invested in a team and be prepared to put money in just like the WA Govt have been
Poolside Pete would be all over that if the NRL approached him.

In saying that it might force our government to make Coopers Stadium bigger if we got a team here. Love the joint but far too small and bugger all cover from the elements.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
SA State Govt needs to be invested in a team and be prepared to put money in just like the WA Govt have been
I think the first step has to be the NRL taking games to Adelaide every year.

One a year, maybe even two - to guage support & build the sport's profile. Then once the Government there see the NRL doing that they may be a little more forthcoming in tangible support/incentives.

That has to start NOW - and actually, should have been in the NRL's thinking & strategic plan for some time.

I mean, just look at how regular games in Perth have helped keep the game on the radar there.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Poolside Pete would be all over that if the NRL approached him.

In saying that it might force our government to make Coopers Stadium bigger if we got a team here. Love the joint but far too small and bugger all cover from the elements.

I think it works the other way .. the Premier does the approaching to PVL

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think the first step has to be the NRL taking games to Adelaide every year.

One a year, maybe even two - to guage support & build the sport's profile. Then once the Government there see the NRL doing that they may be a little more forthcoming in tangible support/incentives.

That has to start NOW - and actually, should have been in the NRL's thinking & strategic plan for some time.

I mean, just look at how regular games in Perth have helped keep the game on the radar there.

yeah maybe …i guess the State Govt has to put up some bucks to make it worth the NRLs time to take games there like WA did…

Does SA have a rectangle stadium to play in ?

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
yeah maybe …i guess he State Govt has to put up some bucks to make it worth the NRLs time like WA did…

Do they have a stadium to play in ?
The prospect is really catch-22 if the NRL is waiting for state funds before committing.

Best for the NRL to take the plunge & facilitate a club moving a home game to Adelaide - buy one out, if need be. It's for the greater good.

Trust that SA Government & business support/resourcing/sponsorship will follow once the concept is shown to be drawing people in.

As for venue, it'd either be Adelaide Oval or Coopers Stadium - but neither is perfect. One's a huge oval that could have a bad atmosphere if turnout isn't great, the other is a friendlier capacity & rectangular BUT very short in-goals as it's really a soccer ground.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The prospect is really catch-22 if the NRL is waiting for state funds before committing.

Best for the NRL to take the plunge & facilitate a club moving a home game to Adelaide - buy one out, if need be. It's for the greater good.

Trust that SA Government & business support/resourcing/sponsorship will follow once the concept is shown to be drawing people in.

As for venue, it'd either be Adelaide Oval or Coopers Stadium - but neither is perfect. One's a huge oval that could have a bad atmosphere if turnout isn't great, the other is a friendlier capacity & rectangular BUT very short in-goals as it's really a soccer ground.

Adelaide is set to be the only mainland State capital city to be missing out on an NRL home team come 2027 … how does that look ? I think the NRL can play hard to get …SA can put up a couple of hundred grand if they want a club game ..chicken feed in the scheme of things

Origin had some empty seats at Adelaide Oval so I assume a club game won’t go close to filling it …