What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Case for Adelaide.....

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
If the recurring theme is to partner new locations and/or expand the game with known and supported rugby league brands not otherwise playing top grade continues. Then after Dolphins, Bears and potentially Jets in Ipswich, who does Adelaide and the ARLC try to marry them with?

(Assuming it could be a cross country arrangement ie Perth & North Sydney = Western Bears and also assuming this theme only applies to Australian based expansion and not NZ, PNG and elsewhere)

Few options of clubs that have anywhere from
Considerable to a little money: East Tigers (Brisbane), Wentworthville Magpies (Sydney), Norths Devils (Brisbane), Mounties (Sydney), Wynnum Manly Seagulls (Brisbane). I’ll leave out Burleigh Bears & Tweed Seagulls because GC needs them (even though Burleigh aren’t currently a Titans feeder…)

Or would clubs who haven’t been around as long or potentially have the necessary funds but do have genuine junior catchments like those in CQld ie Cutters, Capras become viable?

Or do the Newtown/Ipswich Jets just give up WC and concentrate on Adelaide? Which I think would be a mistake. There’s merit in their WC venture, if done properly.

Last edited:

Bulldog2020

Juniors
Under your "genuine junior catchment" category I would include Fiji. I can't see the Government ever doing what they are doing in PNG in Fiji.
But a Australian based Team focused on providing pathways for Fiji could work.

Unfortunately I just can't see a suitable stadium ever being built in Adelaide.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Under your "genuine junior catchment" category I would include Fiji. I can't see the Government ever doing what they are doing in PNG in Fiji.
But a Australian based Team focused on providing pathways for Fiji could work.

Unfortunately I just can't see a suitable stadium ever being built in Adelaide.
Depends on if Australia ever holds a FIFA World Cup tbh. If they do then I can definitely see Adelaide getting some sort of rectangular stadium built.

I think the criteria is 40k though. So you’re probably right that they probably won’t get a proper stadium built anytime soon, wouldn’t say ever though.

flippikat

First Grade
If the recurring theme is to partner new locations and/or expand the game with known and supported rugby league brands not otherwise playing top grade continues. Then after Dolphins, Bears and potentially Jets in Ipswich, who does Adelaide and the ARLC try to marry them with?

(Assuming it could be a cross country arrangement ie Perth & North Sydney = Western Bears and also assuming this theme only applies to Australian based expansion and not NZ, PNG and elsewhere)

Few options of clubs that have anywhere from
Considerable to a little money: East Tigers (Brisbane), Wentworthville Magpies (Sydney), Norths Devils (Brisbane), Mounties (Sydney), Wynnum Manly Seagulls (Brisbane). I’ll leave out Burleigh Bears & Tweed Seagulls because GC needs them (even though Burleigh aren’t currently a Titans feeder…)

Or would clubs who haven’t been around as long or potentially have the necessary funds but do have genuine junior catchments like those in CQld ie Cutters, Capras become viable?

Or do the Newtown/Ipswich Jets just give up WC and concentrate on Adelaide? Which I think would be a mistake. There’s merit in their WC venture, if done properly.
You raise an interesting scenario there - and if expansion-by-partnership is a success for the Western Bears, it could be a template for Adelaide.

Looking at Sydney there's few options beyond the Bears (linked to Perh) and Jets (word is that's linked to Ipswich/Western Corridor, rightly so). Wentworthville & Blacktown probably have the highest profile behind that, but they were never top-tier NSWRL clubs so don't have the same narrative as Norths or Newtown of returning to the top level of club footy.

I wouldn't look at regional centres (eg Central Queensland) clubs to partner in this way, as some may have designs on eventual NRL clubs of their own - and in a few decades that may be viable.

So that leaves Brisbane-based Qld Cup teams - and you've identified a few there that could merit a look. There's probably room for just 1 more South Queensland NRL club in the near future, maybe 2 long term, so if (say) Ipswich in conjunction with Newtown & Brisbane Easts are those two that leaves the likes of Brisbane Norths & Wynnum Manly with the only pathway being a Northern Bears style linkup with Adelaide - or anywhere else (NZ 3?)

Gobsmacked

Bench
You raise an interesting scenario there - and if expansion-by-partnership is a success for the Western Bears, it could be a template for Adelaide.

Looking at Sydney there's few options beyond the Bears (linked to Perh) and Jets (word is that's linked to Ipswich/Western Corridor, rightly so). Wentworthville & Blacktown probably have the highest profile behind that, but they were never top-tier NSWRL clubs so don't have the same narrative as Norths or Newtown of returning to the top level of club footy.

I wouldn't look at regional centres (eg Central Queensland) clubs to partner in this way, as some may have designs on eventual NRL clubs of their own - and in a few decades that may be viable.

So that leaves Brisbane-based Qld Cup teams - and you've identified a few there that could merit a look. There's probably room for just 1 more South Queensland NRL club in the near future, maybe 2 long term, so if (say) Ipswich in conjunction with Newtown & Brisbane Easts are those two that leaves the likes of Brisbane Norths & Wynnum Manly with the only pathway being a Northern Bears style linkup with Adelaide - or anywhere else (NZ 3?)
The Jets are the most obvious choice but unlike the Bears, there's no real contingent of fans around that could remember them playing in the top grade and wish for those times to return. It's seems to me more like a trendy retro hipster thing that pulls a good crowd of people reliving yesteryear... if the Jets went to the top grade, you may even loose some of those " fans"
You could split the Tigers and have the Western suburbs Magpies playing out at Campbelltown with local derbies ect and Accor say vs Bulldogs or Rabbits.
And Adelaide Tigers playing a couple of games a year at Leichardt against lower drawing teams like Cowboys or Titans .

Perth needs to go well first, then lobby government for a new central stadium of around 22k and Adelaide comes into play.

Latest posts