What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Central Coast Mariners Thread

Foz

Bench
Good last minute win today but wouldnt of needed the drama if the penalty had been converted earlier.
Can anyone tell me if there will be a home game that kicks off around 2.00pm on Sunday.
Not keen on taking the kids to a 5.30pm Sunday afternoon game with school the next day.
No hope of going on Saturdays or Friday nights.

Foz

Bench
Thanks.
No Sydney this week for me.(I'll watch it on Fox)
Its a struggle to get the kids down the corner shops so I'm waiting for a home game.They get bored crossing the street and getting them to sit down for a whole match will be an effort in itself.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Petrovski saves Mariners' day

From correspondents in Wellington
October 21, 2007

CENTRAL Coast striker Sasho Petrovski took advantage of a stunning defensive blunder to keep the Mariners on top of the A-League ladder with a last-gasp 2-1 away win over Wellington Phoenix.

The sides were locked 1-1 heading into injury time when Phoenix defender Jeremy Christie presented Petrovski with a gift opportunity when his attempted clearance slid off his boot and landed at the former Socceroos' feet.

Petrovski was left in a one-on-one with goalkeeper Glen Moss and calmly slipped the winner into an open net as he made amends for a pair of missed opportunities just after the hour.

The former Sydney FC striker had a one-on-one with Moss in the 64th minute only for his strike to deflect off the keeper and then off an upright before the Mariners won a penalty after Karl Dodd shoved young striker Matt Simon in the box.

Petrovski walked up to take the spot kick and promptly shot wide to the right, much to the relief of Phoenix and the 10,000-strong crowd.

Dean Heffernan opened the scoring for the visitors with a 16th-minute goal which was matched by a fine 25m strike from Wellington's marquee player Ahmad Elrich in the 24th minute.

The goal stunned both the Mariners and the Westpac Stadium crowd, Elrich surrounded by Mariners defenders and facing his own goal when he received a pass.

He turned and unleashed a shot that sailed past a diving Danny Vukovic to the top right-hand side of the net.

The loss was Wellington's third straight and it now heads across the Tasman for a three-game road trip.

Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert said the defensive blunders that gifted the Mariners their goals were inexcusable.

"It's poor at this level," he said.

"The worst-case scenario was that we'd come away with a draw and that would have been a nice turnaround for us.

"We really let ourselves down, we had the opportunity to bounce back from what's been a couple of difficult weeks."

Herbert described the first half display as his side's best of the season, and said the entire squad was bitterly disappointed that they had nothing to show for it.

"We had a lot of chances, we created some good opportunities and I thought we were decent today, but we were punished," he said.

"I think we've shown all the way along that we're as good as any team in the league, but we've paid the price for costly mistakes at critical times."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22623223-5000940,00.html

Dutchy

Immortal
Lost track of my cards and goals counter..Sorry guys

But yeah, that was a much better performance than our last 3..Wont it be good to get some damn players back on the field!

Foz

Bench
The first hour and a bit last night CCM were real good.
The last 20mins was a bit iffy (and I know Adelaide had a few missing) but I got the impression CCM thought they were always going to win and Adelaide took 70 mins to get belief they could compete.
Building nicely but any of the top 5 could win this comp and not surprise.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know whether we were good or Adelaide we bad, but the result seemed never in doubt

Knightmare

Coach
The ref made some pretty dubious decisions in those last 20 minutes. Thank God we'd already scored 2 goals by then, that game never deserved to be a draw.

fish eel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
I dont know whether we were good or Adelaide we bad, but the result seemed never in doubt

I dunno Twizzle.

From a neutral watching it, I thought Adelaide were a real chance of grabbing a point. It was a terrific second half.

Parki

Bench
merry christmas mariners fans

a loss on monday and the title race is blown wide open

good luck :D

Parki

Bench
lol.. you won it by ONE GOAL..... i wouldnt be skiting about that

you should have had it wrapped up before christmas TBH

Dutchy

Immortal
Im saying, he was right that it was blown wide open. We f**ked up like you said.

As in, yo, Parki - were correct.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Parki said:
lol.. you won it by ONE GOAL..... i wouldnt be skiting about that

you should have had it wrapped up before christmas TBH

we did

the important part is in bold