What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Charitable SGB

BAY72

Juniors
But how far are you planning to go? I mean are you trying to get the same style flags back, cause I think that time has passed. And how do you proposes to raise $2000 for one flag?

You may need a bigger hat!! :D

no malice intended.

Dragon

Coach
Wow what a great idea. Thats friggin tops!

I reckon the Dragon army could do something similar.

Walk around with a couple of buckets at premier league/before main game asking for say, $2 donations going towards a charity would be easy and i reckon most League fans would throw 2 bucks to a good cause.

:clap: to the SGB

skeepe

Immortal
Sounds like a good idea, but there are some things that need to be considered first.

One is that publicity needs to be arranged so that everyone knows that this is for real, it's not just a bunch of people with buckets going around trying to con everyone.

Another is that some sort of recognisable logo needs to be used, although I guess the charity's logo itself would be enough for that.

Then there's the fact that I'm pretty sure management for each stadium would need to be informed that this is going to happen. If someone has a contact at the Raiders to let them know, then that would be extremely beneficial.

If these things can be sorted out, then it sounds like a fantastic idea. :clap:

burley griffin

Juniors
You guys should know that most of the old supporters club flags still exist and they still come to games in Sydney. The majority of the flags and banners that were stolen and lost were actually flags that i had bought the material for, and stitched up myself. That includes the Sydney Green Brigade banner which took me two weeks to make.

Furthermore, it is actually not true that most grounds have permanent seats now instead of a hill. Since the height of the Raiders Army in 1995, only two grounds have converted to all seater - Parramatta and Canberra. There are still hills at Brookvale, Penrith, Showground, Kogarah, Leichhardt, WIN, Campbelltown and Newcastle. In fact the only Sydney grounds without hills are Parramatta, SFS and Stadium Australia - and two of these grounds are so vast that the SGB literally has its own bay for games there.

Also, while it costs $2000 to make a boutique style flag that the supporters club used to buy, we do it somewhat cheaper. Generally we go and by the cheapest fabric from Spotlight that we can find (usually during a sale), then take it home and stitch it together. For $2000 we could make about 150 flags!!

And by the way, Woodgers, i find stuff like this:
Being a bit older, I am past the flag and banner waving stage.
unhelpful, patronising and antagonistic, and i think we would all agree that we don't need this on the forum (i didn't realise that waving a banner was a sign of immaturity).

Dragon

Coach
Skeepe, i reckon the ground announcer should be informed and announce every half hour/hour that there are ppl coming around collecting for charity, and to encourage all supporters to do their bit for a good cause. No doubt Management would be involved in some way.

As what Nick said, the big bastard flags are still around. They didn't make it to the Dragons game, but they do make the odd appearance.

The SGB banner was stolen by dirty bulldogs supporters, because they couldn't take getting smashed by the mighty green machine. I was rather filthy about that, emailed the dogs, that got to ex-CEO mortimer, who replied apologising(through some media, not clydie unfortunately) and the Raiders got in contact with me and not much more happened. I now hate the Showground...I can't hate all doggies supporters because I do know a couple who are dirty buggers, so I can't discriminate too much.

Too old to flag wave? I would think, coming up to my mid 20's I would be too old for it too, but that's just not the case. Flag waving is great....except for those big ones, I lack the co-ordination to do such things :lol:

woodgers

Bench
And by the way, Woodgers, i find stuff like this:
Quote:

Being a bit older, I am past the flag and banner waving stage.

unhelpful, patronising and antagonistic, and i think we would all agree that we don't need this on the forum (i didn't realise that waving a banner was a sign of immaturity).

Whoa up there Nick. I think you must have read it the wrong way. By that I meant that I spent my teenage years carrying flags, poles, banners etc around the grounds. It not that I see it as a sign of immaturity, just that I couldn't be bothered anymore. I have enough trouble remembering to bring my hat and scarf to the footy let alone a banner.

However, I never actually thought about it until you wrote that. You don't see many people over 25 years old waving flags and banners at a match do you?

Question for you guys. This weekend about 10 of us are looking at joining you guys on the hill at Shark Park. Is there a reason why the SGB are always behind the posts, which are in my view, the worst seats in the house. I mean, people can say that they don't want their flags and banners to get in the way of other supporters, but at the end of the day arn't we going to watch the footy? I don't have the best eyesight in the world but not the worst either. I just can't seem to enjoy a game from behind there. I also find it difficult to give the 3-2-1 at the end of the game as the view isn't as good as side on and harder to judge how the forwards are going and so on.

hrundi99

First Grade
Dragon said:
Skeepe, i reckon the ground announcer should be informed and announce every half hour/hour that there are ppl coming around collecting for charity, and to encourage all supporters to do their bit for a good cause. No doubt Management would be involved in some way.

Yeah I've thought of that.

It's on my to do list.

By next weekend I hope to have the fundamentals in place
so that we can start the ball rolling at the Roosters game :shock:

I'll give you an update next week.

mono_mal

Juniors
Woodgers the reason we sit behind the flags is to ensure we are not excluding any Raiders fans what so ever.
A large number of the group are students and simply cannot afford the prices of seats.
If people prefer the view to the atmosphere of the SGB then thats fine, they can sit in the stands, but we need to ensure that everyone that wants to sit with the SGB can do so.
It is also near impossible to organise a seating area in the stands for a large group and this would largely restrict the number of supporters joining us at games as many fans join us on the day to sit with fellow Raiders fans.
Cheers
Ben
Sydney Green Brigade

burley griffin

Juniors
Woodgers, the SGB does not intentionally sit behind the posts, but we do intentionally sit in the general admission areas at all the ground (in most cases this just happens to be the same place). The idea is that we sit in the place in the ground where they don't have numbered seats, so that anyone can turn up and join us.

Additionally, we usually sit next to the home supporter army, who are usually also in the general admission area (though there are a few exceptions). I'm sure that you would agree this makes for much more entertaining banter between the two armies.

woodgers

Bench
The opposite side to the league club has those wooden benches doesn't it? Even if it was the 20 metre line it would be better. Just a thought.

burley griffin

Juniors
I know that the Raiders Army used to sit on the eastern touchline on those benches, but they don't exist any more. In fact, they were replaced by News Limited for the aborted start of Super League in 1996. I guess you are showing your age :)

Anyway, now those wooden benches are numbered seats that cost you extra.

BAY72

Juniors
Seems I stand corrected, I was under the assumption that most of the Sydney stadiums were mostly seated.
either way WE, just arn't interested in waving flags and holding banners any more. Most of us have done that since we were 16 or younger, and find it more effort that its worth. We have one flag which we all get under to wave insted of haveing to take poles. We find it easier and we prefur to just concentrate on singing, chanting and playing up for the crowd.
You don't see many people over 25 years old waving flags and banners at a match do you?
I must admit I never thought of it either, untill now, but I fell the same way. If the younger guy/girls are still interested then go for it, We just arn't that interested any more.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Making flags to hang off the fencing, or putting across empty seats alwys looks awesome if there are alot. The English are masters at this, epsecially at away games. Like this
604413993.jpg

:lol:
or this
20040113222906.jpg

BAY72

Juniors
Making flags to hang off the fencing, or putting across empty seats alwys looks awesome if there are alot
Definatly! But One we don't have the flags anymore, and Two I'm happy with what we have, One large flag (not as large as some of the old flags) that can fit about 20 people under it, which looks great when being shaken. It would be nice to have a much bigger one to do the same. but the cost is huge and besides you cant always hang it over seats as most are occupied. And to hang it over the edge at Bruce is no option as it will hang right over the box seat views.
It is a shame.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm considering making an 'army on tour' flag for away games if I somehow get enough money to do it.

Latest posts