What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Chiefs are red hot.

ozbash

Referee
saw highlights of this game v the canes tonight. 27-26 to the mighty chiefs but if that was a taste of whats to come,,, bring it on.

pinched from www.xtra.co.nz

The Chiefs have been handed a massive boost ahead of the Super 14 kickoff in just over a week, with inspirational skipper Jono Gibbes poised to make an earlier than expected return to action.

As reported by XtraMSN Rugby earlier, Gibbes will make a belated start to the new Rebel Sport Super 14 season as he recovers from stress fractures in the foot he had surgery on in the off-season.

Coach Ian Foster said then he had been resigned to being without the All Black for the season start, but had been hopeful he might be able to return early in the campaign.

And it appears that optimism has not been unfounded with latest news out of the Chiefs camp suggesting Gibbes' re-entry may not be as belated as initially feared. It looks certain the second-rower will join the squad on the trip to South Africa.

The Chiefs open their Super 14 campaign against the Sharks in Durban next weekend, then meet the Cats in Johannesburg and the Western Force in Perth en route back to New Zealand.

And with such a testing start on the road, Foster was clearly keen to get as many of his front-liners on deck as possible. Gibbes, who covers lock and blindside and is the side's spirtitual leader, definitely fits into that category.

Gibbes trained with the Chiefs ahead of Thursday's hitout against the Hurricanes in Rotorua and Foster has reported his captain-elect is being targeted for a return in the second round in Jo'burg.

"We don't think Jono will be available for game No 1, so we're targeting game No 2," Foster told the Waikato Times.

"Whether that's a start or off the bench will depend on our mix as well as injuries in our next two games."

Gibbes has played almost no rugby since leading the New Zealand Maori to their famous victory over the British and Irish Lions last July, as he continued to be dogged by a plantar fascia injury. Eventually he decided to have surgery on the problem foot.

The rugged forward appeared to be on his way back to full fitness before the stress fractures developed to ruin his Super 14 buildup.

But now all indications are he has finally shaken off his problems which will be a huge boost for a Chiefs side with their sights on a return to the semifinals.

Fot all that, Foster will not be taking any chances with one of his most valuable commmodoties this early in the season.

"We're not risking anything taking Jono and we've got a lot to gain with his experience, his captaincy and the potential for him to play game No 2," he told the paper.

"We've weighed up all the options and think it's the best option for the squad."

Utility back David Hill, out till mid-competiton with viral fatigue syndrome, and prop Nathan White (calf injury) are the two squad members not travelling to South Africa.

New signing Mils Muliaina made his first appearance at fullback for the Chiefs in the hitout against the Canes.

Chiefs 27 v Hurricanes 26
02-02-06

First Half

Tries: Sitiveni Sivivatu, Sione Lauaki

Conversions: Stephen Donald (2)

Penalty: Stephen Donald

Halftime score: 17 - 14 Chiefs

Second Half

Tries:
Kristian Ormsby

Conversion: Loki Crichton

Penalty: Loki Crichton

Fulltime score: 27 - 26 Chiefs

ozbash

Referee
These trial games mean little.

believe that at your peril.
watch out for the chiefs.

Scott

Bench
The Chiefs will finish mid table. Their start will hurt them. 2 games in South Africa, then one in Perth on the way back.

skeepe

Immortal
ozbash said:
These trial games mean little.

believe that at your peril.
watch out for the chiefs.

I agree that they mean little. Well, I hope they do.

Waratahs 21-5 Brumbies
Hurricanes 40-7 Brumbies

and the worst result...

Brumbies 'A' 0-0 Brumbies 'B'

Oh lordy...

ozbash

Referee
Waratahs 21-5 Brumbies
Hurricanes 40-7 Brumbies

the canes result was predictable.
the warratahs must have been wearing numbers..

the chiefs will win 2/3 games scotty, 1 in south africa and they,ll thrash perth with jono back.

skeepe

Immortal
I'm finding solace in the fact that we had 50 put on us in both trial games the year we won the title... Hopefully history will repeat, although I see this as more of a "rebuilding" year than anything.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
ozbash said:
Waratahs 21-5 Brumbies
Hurricanes 40-7 Brumbies

the canes result was predictable.
the warratahs must have been wearing numbers..

the chiefs will win 2/3 games scotty, 1 in south africa and they,ll thrash perth with jono back.

go the Tahs

numbers, letters, wont matter

2006 will be the year of the Tah

skeepe

Immortal
Tahs.... such a wimpy nickname... Tahs... just another reason for me to hate them really.

blx

Juniors
stop hijacking this topic :mrgreen:

the chiefs in my opinion will be thereabouts this year as they have a good squad and a fair sprinkling of all blacks in key positions.

History has not been kind to them but it looks as though they're making good strides to overcome this.

There weakness in my opinion is the lack of a reknown coach. Forster does'nt carry much of a punch in my books but at least he's prepared to jump on the front foot persist with his flat defensive style of game.

The challenge for the team is whether they can carry out a contrary pattern when that one is broached. Its a fickle plan but he does have the quick legs out wide to cover so good on him.

Going by their first game team, its good to see that he has benched some of his backline regulars in Ranby and Crichton, who have long been very good average players for the Chiefs but as history has shown, thats just not good enough so a justifiable selection IMHO.

dark horse = good value betting

ozbash

Referee
I agree with you blx tho i think in fosters defence what he lacks in experience he more than makes up in heart and passion for his squad. they have bought bloody well and have toughened up in some of the positions they were a bit underdone on last year.

nutbrown was an excellent buy as a back up for byron and mils muliaina can play just about anywhere in the backs.

also, will be a different team altogether when jono comes back. the guy is a legend.

ozbash

Referee
the chiefs were cold. havnt seen the game yet but heard there was a lot of unforced errors...

oh well.

Scott

Bench
hehe - didn't mean you sorry auss1st, was refering to mr bash and his not so mighty chiefs.

ozbash

Referee
lol, now now scotty, dont put the boot in..
i,m expecting big things this weekend, god (aka jono) is back and he will stir the boys up.