What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Children Overboard issue develops

Anonymous

Juniors
^ Pando said:
Willow said:
Well it is the official report regarding the Siev 4 children overboard affair from the chief of the defence forces.
Do you think that children were thrown overboard?

Of course I think they were thrown overboard. They didn't jump in of their own accord.

I'd wonder about the morals of any parent who wouldn't throw their kids off a sinking boat when there is a Navy frigate fifty feet away.

In my opinion, the bone of contention isn't whether they were thrown off the boat or not, but whether they scuttled the boat so that the Navy couldn't send them back to where they came from.
The CDF report makes no mention of any 'scuttling'... that's newspaper stuff farmed from politicians.

According to the Commander of the HMAS Adelaide, Commander Banks, no children were thrown overboard. The boat was sinking and they were rescued by the crew of the Adelaide.

Do you disagree with Cdr Banks?

btw, By all accounts, it was a valiant effort from the Adelaide.

Jimbo

Immortal
BTW lefties, you do realise that calling someone a liar without proof is slander, don't you?

millersnose

Post Whore
JK said:
millersnose said:
these are magic boats

they have special caulk which deteriorates upon the presence of australian navy vessels

You have been asked for proof for your assertion Miller.

You have failed to do so.

[/story]

i will find evidence of the magic caulk jk

just as soon as my deep sea diving gear is out of the repair shop

millersnose

Post Whore
JK said:
millersnose said:
these are magic boats

they have special caulk which deteriorates upon the presence of australian navy vessels

You have been asked for proof for your assertion Miller.

You have failed to do so.

[/story]

i will find evidence of the magic caulk jk

just as soon as my deep sea diving gear is out of the repair shop

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
The CDF report makes no mention of any 'scuttling'... that's newspaper stuff farmed from politicians.

According to the Commander of the HMAS Adelaide, Commander Banks, no children were thrown overboard. The boat was sinking and they were rescued by the crew of the Adelaide.

The CDF is in the Army. :|
Are you suggesting that no-one got wet when the boat holding illegals conveniently sprung a leak, right in front of an Australian Naval frigate?

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
Jimbo said:
BTW lefties, you do realise that calling someone a liar without proof is slander, don't you?
Tell Mr Scrafton.

btw, is he an honorary lefty now?

According to lefties, he was a public servant with no political ties.

No axe to grind either, obviously. :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
^ Pando said:
Willow said:

The CDF is in the Army. :|
Are you suggesting that no-one got wet when the boat holding illegals conveniently sprung a leak, right in front of an Australian Naval frigate?
I'm not suggesting anything... I'm sure people got wet as the boat was sinking. I'm just looking at the defence department report which quotes the Cdr of the HMAS Adelaide.

I'm guessing the boat wasn't particularly seaworthy and I understand that the Adelaide was there for a day before it started to sink.

The CDF being in the army isn't the issue, he is the chief and asked the questions. The answers came from Cdr Banks.

Here I'll repeat the same line of text which has been pasted in the thread a number of times:
From http://www.defence.gov.au/cdf/statement2.cfm

I ARRANGED THROUGH MARITIME COMMAND IN SYDNEY FOR THE SHIP TO TELEPHONE ME. I THEN SPOKE TO CMDR BANKS.

WE DISCUSSED THE EVENTS OF 7 OCTOBER 2001, AND HE INFORMED ME THAT HE WAS SURE THAT NO CHILD HAD BEEN THROWN OVERBOARD. I QUESTIONED HIM CLOSELY TO TEST THE BASIS FOR HIS ASSURANCE.

UPON THE BASIS OF THIS CONVERSATION WHICH PUT TO REST THE CONCERNS THAT I HAD ABOUT THE WRITTEN MATERIAL, I WAS CONVINCED THAT, DESPITE THE INITIAL REPORTS TO THE CONTRARY, IN FACT NO CHILD HAD BEEN THROWN INTO THE WATER FROM SIEV 4 ON 7 OCTOBER 2001.

Do you agree or disagree with Commander of the HMAS Adelaide?

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
I'm guessing the boat wasn't particularly seaworthy and I understand that the Adelaide was there for a day before it started to sink.

Before I go any further.
You are guessing on how seaworthy the boat was as well as the time the Adelaide was there before the "incident"?

So, a Navy frigate drifted along side a boat full of illegal immigrants for an entire day, and didn't do anything until it started to sink all of a sudden?

Screw the quotes, screw the bullshit political rhetoric.

You tell me if you think this is plausible.

Anonymous

Juniors
^ Pando said:
Willow said:

Before I go any further.
You are guessing on how seaworthy the boat was as well as the time the Adelaide was there before the "incident"?

So, a Navy frigate drifted along side a boat full of illegal immigrants for an entire day, and didn't do anything until it started to sink all of a sudden?

Screw the quotes, screw the bullsh*t political rhetoric.

For the sake of discussion, I withdraw my comments about the boat's seaworthiness.
I also overlook your comments re illegals.. lets not get distracted.

Now please address the question raised in my post.

ibeme

First Grade
^ Pando said:
Willow said:

Before I go any further.

Screw the quotes, screw the bullsh*t political rhetoric.

So you're disputing the commander?

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:

The one about the Commander that Ibeme has also raised? Sure thing.

If either of you can show me that an Australian Naval vessel intercepted a boat load of (won't say illegals, it seems to take you away from the point) people, and just sat there for an entire day waiting for it to sink before they did anything, I'll withdraw my comments.

As for the Commander, I don't know what he saw, only he can say that. One thing that I know for certain is that he never left the Adelaide and most likely didn't leave the bridge.

Any links to comments from sailors who actually went out to the "stricken" boat?

Anonymous

Juniors
^ Pando said:
Willow said:

If either of you can show me that an Australian Naval vessel intercepted a boat load of (won't say illegals, it seems to take you away from the point) people, and just sat there for an entire day waiting for it to sink before they did anything, I'll withdraw my comments.

As for the Commander, I don't know what he saw, only he can say that. One thing that I know for certain is that he never left the Adelaide and most likely didn't leave the bridge.

Any links to comments from sailors who actually went out to the "stricken" boat?
You still didn't answer.
Cmdr Banks said that no children were thrown overboard.
I assume you understand the concept of chain of command.
Do you agree or disagree with Cmder Banks?

ibeme

First Grade
ShireShark said:
Who was on the panel? Andrew Wilkie?

Oh that would have been funny! :roll: :lol:

Yep, it's a funny show, but also interesting. Inspired me to read up about the incidents surrounding Andrew Wilkie's resignation, and the events that followed. Another dark episode for the government.

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
^ Pando said:
Willow said:

You still didn't answer.
Cmdr Banks said that no children were thrown overboard.
I assume you understand the concept of chain of command.
Do you agree or disagree with Cmder Banks?

Where does the chain of command come in to it?
I'm sorry that you think I didn't answer you, I thought I did alright.

YOU haven't answered any of my questions. Once again you think it's a one way street.

I said that I would withdraw my comments if you could show me that an Australian Naval vessel intercepted this boat and sat next to it for an entire day, and did nothing until it started to sink.

Provide proof please or withdraw your comment.

Were these children thrown into the water, or were they rescued FROM the boat? Please provide proof.

Anonymous

Juniors
^ Pando said:
Where does the chain of command come in to it?
The crew through their officers ultimately report to the Commander. The Commander is in the best position to assess the situation, yes or no?

^ Pando said:
I'm sorry that you think I didn't answer you, I thought I did alright.
I asked if you agree with Cmdr Banks that no children were thrown overboard. Yes or no?

^ Pando said:
YOU haven't answered any of my questions. Once again you think it's a one way street.
Ah, well... you're new here. So I'll let that one slide. I withdrew my comment regarding the boat's seaworthiness because I wasn't there.

^ Pando said:
I said that I would withdraw my comments if you could show me that an Australian Naval vessel intercepted this boat and sat next to it for an entire day, and did nothing until it started to sink.
I never said the Naval vessel sat next to it all day and did nothing. Time for you to make a retraction.
LOL. Needless to say, neither of us were there.

^ Pando said:
Were these children thrown into the water, or were they rescued FROM the boat? Please provide proof.
They were rescued. Cmdr Banks said they were not thrown into the water.
I have already provided the proof.

Do you agree with Cmdr Banks or not?

^ Pando

retired
Willow said:
I never said the Naval vessel sat next to it all day and did nothing. Time for you to make a retraction.
LOL. Needless to say, neither of us were there.

Willow said:

I'll get to your other points Willow. Don't paint me as a liar.