What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Choke" obsession

Spark Plug

Juniors
I don't understand why everyone is currently so obssessed with choking (most notable the dragons).

Only one team can win the premeiership, does that make every other team failures and chokers???

As for the dragons, they certainly dont really have a team of stars. Just a well drilled team with half a dozen players punching above their weight. They might not win the comp, nor even even make the grand final. But they have put themselves in the best possible position 2 years in a row.

BTW, i'm a Newcastle supporter so lay off the anti-dragon sentiment.

Adman

Juniors
Choking to me is someone or some team failing to achieve something that was guaranteed, for example loosing a game when you had a lead of 30 points or something. Simply losing a game in the semi's is pretty weak excuse to call a team chokers ala canberra last week. Semis is a different animal and everyone can beat anyone.

Zoggy

Juniors
Choking to me is someone or some team failing to achieve something that was guaranteed, for example loosing a game when you had a lead of 30 points or something. Simply losing a game in the semi's is pretty weak excuse to call a team chokers ala canberra last week. Semis is a different animal and everyone can beat anyone.

+ 1

All the people who call the Dragons chokers after they loose a close game really shows their hate towards the club.

And 1 more thing. Anyone who thinks the Dragons should have this final serries in the bag are kidding themselves.

Eels Dude

Coach
Choking specifically refers to crumbling under pressure. People label the Dragons chokers last year as they were the best side all year but as soon as the semis came round crashed and burned. They won't necessarily be chokers this year if they don't win the comp, but say if they get rolled 40 zip in the grand final you'd have to ask that question.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Choking specifically refers to crumbling under pressure. People label the Dragons chokers last year as they were the best side all year but as soon as the semis came round crashed and burned. They won't necessarily be chokers this year if they don't win the comp, but say if they get rolled 40 zip in the grand final you'd have to ask that question.
We were nowhere near the best team in the comp from round 22 onwards. Injuries and fatigue were pretty evident in our squad from then on.

We didn't crumble under pressure, we just simply weren't good enough when it counted at the business end of the season. It's no different to how the panthers went out this year.

Broncos93

Juniors
I love using the word to my mate who supports the dragons just cause he hates it so much. But I don't believe the choke bullsh*t of the dragons one bit. There were only 5 dragons from the preliminary final in 2005 when they "choked" who are still playing today, so it's harsh to say that they are chokers bar last year.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
The Dragons carry the chokers tag, because they have carried strong form throughout most of the comp, and then stumbled, and sometimes crashed out at the business end of the season.

The tag may not have been justified the first 2 times it happened, but if they get knocked out this year, it will be all but tattooed on their foreheads.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
99 was the only real genuine choke.

The way this competition is (so ludicrously tight) makes it difficult to choke these days. Unless one gets to a HUGE lead in a grand final and quite literally goes to pieces with twenty minutes to go.

Tom Ace

Bench
Dragons fans are throwing the term at everyone and everything at the moment in a desperate attempt to try and pass the tag on.

That's the only reason it's everywhere right now.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Dragons fans are throwing the term at everyone and everything at the moment in a desperate attempt to try and pass the tag on.

That's the only reason it's everywhere right now.

It's everywhere irrespective. We were "choking" according to the media earlier this season when we lost 2 games in a row. Whenever we lose it's a choke. It's just the way it is until we get another premiership. There is a plethora of posts on the topic about other clubs because it's highlighting the hypocrisy in the name calling. Quite a few fans on here have taken it way too far. I'm sick and tired of the phrase though, it doesn't get under my skin but so many morons think they've won an argument as soon as they drop the c word. It turns any intelligent conversation into what would be an argument between 2 5 year old's.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
It is beyond stupid though. How can any side really choke in todays NRL. It is such a tight competition. There is normally a "best side" (Dragons this year) and a few lesser sides at the bottom of the ladder but I am never that shocked by upsets in the NRL because it is such a tight competition.

At the pointy end of the season there is no way its a choke if the Tigers beat the Dragons. Nor would it be a choke if the Titans lost to the Roosters. I am of the opinion NO side is overwhelmingly favoured to win the competition from here on out. The dragons are the favourites but not certainties. Still if they lose they are going to cop it. That is probably down to the supporter base acting like wankers though. People like to stir up wankers.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
You'd have to admit though, that if they bomb out on Saturday night, after comfortably securing the MP and flogging Manly (albeit a depleted Manly) to get to the GF qualifier, there won't be much you could say to argue that the label doesn't apply. It would be the very definition of the term.

SET2JT

Juniors
It is beyond stupid though. How can any side really choke in todays NRL. It is such a tight competition. There is normally a "best side" (Dragons this year) and a few lesser sides at the bottom of the ladder but I am never that shocked by upsets in the NRL because it is such a tight competition.

At the pointy end of the season there is no way its a choke if the Tigers beat the Dragons. Nor would it be a choke if the Titans lost to the Roosters. I am of the opinion NO side is overwhelmingly favoured to win the competition from here on out. The dragons are the favourites but not certainties. Still if they lose they are going to cop it. That is probably down to the supporter base acting like wankers though. People like to stir up wankers.
Whats funny is we have had this choker tag for a while now but what about the Storm in 08. They were 300k over the cap and still got pumped 40-0. Now thats a choke.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You'd have to admit though, that if they bomb out on Saturday night, after comfortably securing the MP and flogging Manly (albeit a depleted Manly) to get to the GF qualifier, there won't be much you could say to argue that the label doesn't apply. It would be the very definition of the term.

Losing to a team that came equal 2nd after 26 rounds and only finished 4 points behind us on the ladder, who happen to be in very good form...

That is nothing like the very definition of the term. Choking is losing a game you're guaranteed to win, or squandering a massive lead. Choking is losing a game that you're paying $1.10 to win, and your opposition is paying $5.00. Choking would be losing to Manly last week.

All 4 teams are with an even chance of winning this comp.

Irrespective of that, if we lose, the term will be brought out irrespective of how we play. Some people even said we were choking against Manly when we beat them 28-0. So carry on if you will.

SET2JT

Juniors
That is probably down to the supporter base acting like wankers though. People like to stir up wankers.
You should look at your own supporters first. Dazraider and Raiders premiers hate the Dragons so much its not funny. Its as if they were molested by happy the Dragon as kids.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Losing to a team that came equal 2nd after 26 rounds and only finished 4 points behind us on the ladder, who happen to be in very good form...

That is nothing like the very definition of the term. Choking is losing a game you're guaranteed to win, or squandering a massive lead. Choking is losing a game that you're paying $1.10 to win, and your opposition is paying $5.00. Choking would be losing to Manly last week.

All 4 teams are with an even chance of winning this comp.

Irrespective of that, if we lose, the term will be brought out irrespective of how we play. Some people even said we were choking against Manly when we beat them 28-0. So carry on if you will.

You can put prices on it and say irrespective as many times as you want, but winning the minor premiership by a comfortable margin, and cruising into the GF qualifier then getting knocked out, would be a choke.

I personally hope it doesn't happen, and I don't consider the Dragons serial chokers. But it would most definitely be a choke. Melbourne did the same in the '08 GF, and when they were beaten by the eighth placed Warriors in the first final.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
You can put prices on it and say irrespective as many times as you want, but winning the minor premiership by a comfortable margin, and cruising into the GF qualifier then getting knocked out, would be a choke.

I personally hope it doesn't happen, and I don't consider the Dragons serial chokers. But it would most definitely be a choke. Melbourne did the same in the '08 GF, and when they were beaten by the eighth placed Warriors in the first final.

That's a lie. Look fans will say it irrespective of whether they believe it or not. But we're playing another top 4 team and in a competition as close as this, no win is a given.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
That's a lie. Look fans will say it irrespective of whether they believe it or not. But we're playing another top 4 team and in a competition as close as this, no win is a given.

Lol, believe what you want, but I'd rather see a Titans/Dragons GF than any other combination.

bottle

Coach
People come up with their own definition of what a 'choke' supposedly is to justify their own prejudices. For the haters it always pertains to the Dragons. For others it pertains to individuals, and others again to whatever situation suits. Its a discredited term, a meaningless throwaway line used by people of the calibre of 'Rot'field because they don't have the nous to actually discuss the game and its nuances. Whole threads get started by people just to stir the pot, who then don't post in the thing again, just to sit back and laugh at the sh*t fight.

If Saints lose on Saturday night we'll be choked with threads and posts about choking. There is only one antidote to the poison.

AJH

Juniors
IMO the stupid thing about the term 'choke' as it's being used is that it gives absolutely no credit to the opposition. By saying that Team A choked you're also saying that Team B had absolutely no chance of winning, and won only because the pressure got to Team A.
Just because a team can play consistently well over a full season and the bookies back them to win it doesn't mean they automatically will. Parramatta proved that in 2001. But saying they choked doesn't give the deserved credit to the way Newcastle played on the day.
All just my opinion obviously
AJ

Latest posts