What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cocktail (and Spirits) Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
No merkin reads this anymore, BUT I think I've settled on a new favourite whiskey. It was hard to unseat Glenmorangie but this stuff has probably done it.

EDIT FFS @Twizzle can we remove the filter now lol

Kavalan_Single_Malt_Whiskey__53089.1536445398.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
Bump!

Had a glass of Laphroaig Quarter Cask tonight. Picked it up at dogshit Live in a swap with the CCA rep. Went into peated dogshit (again) with an open mind. I think I will leave it for guests, not to my taste.

How would you like a reply to your bump almost a year later??

Quarter Cask isn't even as peaty as the regular Laphroiag IMO. I prefer it. It's got a real interesting saltwater/seaweed deal.

Did the rep tell you how they make it? Obviouly there's the small cask thing, but the warehouse they age it in sits right on the bay. In winter or during big storms that warehouse actually gets slightly inundated bby the waves at times. Hence you get a real marine character. Terroir in scotch.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bring this thread back to life!

Woodford Reserve Bourbon (neat)

Still, IMO, the best bourbon available regularly and decently priced on the Australian market. I think it's the high rye percentage that makes it so good? You don't get that sometimes slightly rank, over the top sour mash character. More like honey and vanilla, almond essence, a little coffee.

Buffalo Trace. Had it on the rocks, could not tell it was a bourbon (and no smart arse responses to that). Good solid sipper, particularly since it was a double.

Bazal

Post Whore
Local winemaker Bryan Martin (Ravensworth & Clonakilla) has started making vermouth.

Good in a martini, f**king great in a Manhattan. Also really excellent on the rocks.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I tried chacha last night.

That shit smells like paint-stripper and tastes only a little less brutal. They say it is made from grape skins, but it tastes no different than baijiu, soju, or SE Asian rice wine.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I'll add a different voice, love Whisky and Tequila neat.

Lagavulin 16 and Caol Ila 12 probably still my favorites but have been getting into the Rye whiskeys lately.

Picked up a bottle of the Archie Rose Malted Rye and it is superb.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'll add a different voice, love Whisky and Tequila neat.

Lagavulin 16 and Caol Ila 12 probably still my favorites but have been getting into the Rye whiskeys lately.

Picked up a bottle of the Archie Rose Malted Rye and it is superb.

Dammit, I tried so hard to get the Archie Rose....

Also, bump!

Social isolation whisk(e)y time. I'm opening a Wild Turkey Longbranch this arvo

Bazal

Post Whore
Caol Ila 12 year old.

As a big Speyside fan this is probably my favourite Islay whiskey, at least for price and consistent drinking. They really do the peat well, it's warm and happy. The better known Laphroiag is a good scotch, but it does taste a little bit like a fire at an iodine factory in which several people were killed. And the Lagavulin tastes a lot like the ashes of those people. Ardbeg tastes like it sounds...

This is gentler but not in a bad way at all. It's more rounded and more balanced, which allows you to enjoy the sweetness of it alongside the smoke.

Bruichladdich make better whiskies in the same age bracket, but not for the money (although I did see this has gone up to $90-odd. It was a $65 dollar scotch last time I bought it!)

Bazal

Post Whore
And just for a side by side comparison I did load up the Lagavulin cos I saw someone mentioned both in a post earlier.

It's weird how it can smell so much less peaty on the nose than the Caol Ila but like almost pure smoke in the mouth.

Not that it isn't a great scotch, because it is. It's so smooth there's no alcohol burn at all and despite the smoke the middle is sweet and even a touch woody. It's just that it's so heavy on the smoke straight up and then well into the finish.

Latest posts