What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cocktail (and Spirits) Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
*bumped*

Been drinking more whisky this year. Still a wine man first, tbh. It's very different, f**king hard to switch your palate and I don't really want to fully switch it anyway.

Anyway the one I wanted to get any other whisky merkins on to is Finlaggan Port Cask, if you can find it. It's an Islay. I love Speyside, but I also love Islay and oddly it's often the easiest to drink with my vino palate? I think the smoke masks the heat.

This Finlaggan shit rocks. Peated Islay, finished in proper Portuguese port casks. Ever had heavily smoked bacon with pancakes and some sort of sweet fruity sauce, maybe berries? That's kinda what this tastes like. So good. Smoky and sweet with a really dry finish.

I've also just ordered a (3 bottle) case of Laphroaig Lore, which even as a Speyside fan is my all time fave whisky...

horrie hastings

First Grade
I've got ice, Casamigos Reposado, limes and agave syrup.

Tommy's margarita's for days (or hours)!

Had a friends birthday at Hugos at Manly last week and i ordered one of these

TOMMY GUN MARGARITA​

Espolòn tequila, shaken with lime & house-made
caramelised pineapple, herb & jalapeno shrub.

It was sensational, the jalapeno gave it a real bite but the caramelised pineapple counted the hotness, absolutely beautiful, looking forward to having another one there some time.

Bazal

Post Whore
No one cares anymore and the FFB is deadsport but I just wanted to talk about Nikka Yoichi Single Malt.

As close as you'll ever get to the original Japanese single malt, it's the whiskey they make in the image of what Masataka Taketsuru originally came home from Scotland to make. He worked in Campbeltown and he wanted to make whiskey in that style. Except he couldn't get peat.

So he dried the barley with the coal fire they used to fire the stills. I dunno what the old school version tasted like but I love this one tbh.

You don't get much of the smoke on the nose, like you would an Islay or even necessarily a Campbeltown. It's sweet and and malty and soft and loaded with citrus and then the smoke feels like it hits you out of nowhere. Nutty and oily and briny on the end. Just a magic whisky IMO. I should note that I think it is peated now so the smoke is very much in that green peated direction (Highland more than Islay), but I might be wrong.

Parra

Referee
No one cares anymore and the FFB is deadsport but I just wanted to talk about Nikka Yoichi Single Malt.

As close as you'll ever get to the original Japanese single malt, it's the whiskey they make in the image of what Masataka Taketsuru originally came home from Scotland to make. He worked in Campbeltown and he wanted to make whiskey in that style. Except he couldn't get peat.

So he dried the barley with the coal fire they used to fire the stills. I dunno what the old school version tasted like but I love this one tbh.

You don't get much of the smoke on the nose, like you would an Islay or even necessarily a Campbeltown. It's sweet and and malty and soft and loaded with citrus and then the smoke feels like it hits you out of nowhere. Nutty and oily and briny on the end. Just a magic whisky IMO. I should note that I think it is peated now so the smoke is very much in that green peated direction (Highland more than Islay), but I might be wrong.

I've got Nikka from the barrell, those smaller square bottles. Great stuff. Full of flavour.

Bazal

Post Whore
Finally finished the Glenfarclas 8YO in my decanter, onto Glendronach 12YO.
Have been drinking this.

Legit choccy milk in whiskey form

Westward_STOUT_700_TRANSPARENTBACKGROUND_LORES_960x.jpg